Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Tiff
Curious June 2023 Devon

Is it okay that i don't want my parents at my wedding?

Tiff, 17 of November of 2022 at 13:07 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 17
I've been estranged from my mum for many years (her own doing) and so when I got engaged and started planning my wedding, it wasn't even a question that she wasn't invited.

Recently I've become estranged from my dad as well, as I've had enough of him bullying me and also he has majorly disrespected my grandad's memory by breaking in to his house (it's a really messed up situation with my family atm)
Basically, I feel really conflicted about whether or not to still let my dad come to the wedding, as I'm not sure if I want to cut both parents out of my life permanently, and I'm not sure if I'll regret not having him there... But on the flip side, I don't know how to even begin considering forgiving him for what he's done.
People from cushy families don't understand my plight, and come up with the usual short sighted comments such as 'but they're your family!'.
To me, it's my special day that I'm spending a lot of time and money on and I don't want any drama.
I know no one can tell me what to do and it's ultimately my decision, but I'm hoping some advice will help
Thank you x

17 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 4 of January of 2023 at 18:12
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this.

To be honest, I don't think you'll get any answers from a forum like this - some people have cut themselves off from their family and never looked back - others have done the same and regretted it. Some have tried to build bridges through their weddings and it's ended up with a great reconciliation - others have just ruined the memories of their wedding day. It so depends on you, your OH and your individual family circumstances.

All I would say is that if you do decide to invite your dad, invite him based on who he is now and how he behaves now. Don't expect him to suddenly become a totally different person. The people I've seen who have been able to cope best with difficult family members at their wedding are the ones who have accepted those people for who they are and don't expect them to become a 'better version' of themselves for the wedding. That kind of dramatic overnight transformation is the stuff of Disney fairytales. Real life change is painful, messy and takes a long time.

Whatever route you choose, dealing with estrangements from close family members is incredibly painful. I'd really encourage you to seek out some counselling to help you process your emotions - you may also find that this helps you come to a decision on what to do with your wedding. I'd also suggest talking it over with your spouse to be - he/she knows you better than anyone else and may also know something of your family dynamic. A partner can sometimes be too close to the situation to be able to advise clearly because they care so much, but it's always worth listening to their perspective.

• Tiff
    Curious June 2023 Devon
    Tiff ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi there Romantic Green

Thank you for your kind words; it is an incredibly difficult situation and one that sadly won't be resolved any time soon... Every day I feel differently about it.. talking about it in therapy hasn't really helped much either, and I'm completely conflicted on what to do... I just have to believe that when the time comes to make the decision, I make the right one and that it turns out okay. Only time will tell x
  • Tiff
    Curious June 2023 Devon
    Tiff ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have translated this from russian to English on Google and the contents of this comment are utterly disgusting and vile, I've reported it as it's truly disgusting, what on earth is wrong with you? This is a wedding site, I think you need professional help mate...
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you don't have to decide yet, then I think you are wise to leave it. You may find that your feelings become clearer over time.

Just another thought that came to me - I wonder if leaving your father out of the wedding is going to make a huge difference to the future of the relationship anyway. You're thinking about cutting him out because of his bullying treatment - either being left out of the wedding is going to open his eyes to just how awful his behaviour has been, in which case he's going to understand why you've done it and it won't stop him trying to rebuild the relationship if he's truly sorry. OR, he won't be able to understand why you would leave him out, because he thinks he's done nothing wrong, in which case, he's never likely to be able to grasp the enormity of his behaviour, so the chances of him ever changing are pretty minimal.

Maybe thinking about it in those terms might help? So your decision can then be just about whether or not you want him there on the wedding day - what happens after that is up to him.

• Hannah
    Beginner October 2024 Greater Manchester
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content

It's okay to want/not want whoever you like at your wedding. I'm in a similar position, estranged from both my parents due to their shitty behaviour and I don't think societal pressure should dictate who does and doesn't get an invite. In my view, if you feel like having your dad there would have any negative impact on you or your day then it would probably mean it's not a good idea to invite him. Ultimately it's your decision though, there's nothing wrong with not inviting both parents but there's also nothing wrong with maybe getting to a point of forgiveness and deciding to inviting them - Sounds like a difficult situation but it's your day and 100% your call. Hope all goes well!

• Deborah
    Beginner June 2023 West London
    Deborah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree with your point of view.

• S
    Beginner June 2023 Hampshire
    Suzy ·
    • Hide content
    It’s what you feel comfortable with. Has your dad reached out for forgiveness at all or congratulated you on getting married? Would you be happier having him there?

I won’t be having my mum at my wedding as she hasn’t done any of the above and can’t even be motherly enough to try contact me. Parents should be there for you and admit their wrong doings
  • Tiff
    Curious June 2023 Devon
    Tiff ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you so much for your kind words everyone, except for the spammers :/

Unfortunately my parents show no sign of remorse or apologies, especially not my dad... He's now started engaging in criminal behaviour, so there's absolutely no way I can have him at my wedding now. It does make me sad and it's upsetting I can't have either parent there, but I know it's the right thing to do for the sake of my big day
    Anyone else going through a similar situation, I'm always here if you need to talk x
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so sorry.

When facing situations with difficult family members, I remind myself of that saying that 'friends are the family you pick for yourself'. I hope you have some 'hand picked' family who can give you the support that you should be getting from your bio family xxx

• Tiff
    Curious June 2023 Devon
    Tiff ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, that means a lot xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    The only advice I can give is do what you feel in your heart it is hard I know my parents aren't invited to mine but only because I want I small elopment wedding with just our kids so we don't talk but it's been so long that they don't even tell you that your father has had a stroke it's different from you but do what your heart feels don't feel guilty about the decision you make it's your wedding x♥️
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Sorry to hear about this.. we all grow up dreaming of a wedding and having that moment with our parents; but I’ve also learnt to hard way.. just because they are parents / family etc does not mean they can’t be toxic and toxic doesn’t deserve time or energy in your life.

I think, personally, I would have it set aside in my mind whilst you’re planning everything else. Include them in numbers however do not make any final decisions until closer to the time. If your wedding is over 12 months away so much can change by that time and you don’t want to make any final decisions on (possibly) temporary feelings. All the best x
  • Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content
    Sorry to hear this. I won’t be having my dad at my wedding. He emigrated six years ago and I’ve barely heard from him since. It really upset me and I’d resigned myself to walking down the aisle alone. He then sprung a surprise visit on me last month as he needed me to sort out his pension and bank account and he expected to stay with me for over two weeks. I did it all for him but I realised that he’s just not a nice person and I’m not missing out by not having any contact with him. It cemented that I don’t want him at my wedding. I don’t even feel particularly sad about it as at least I have my answer now and I only want people there that will enhance the day and support us.
    I don’t think your dad will change. Maybe wait until nearer the time and see how you feel then and how your relationship is, but I definitely wouldn’t feel guilty about not inviting him x
  • Tiff
    Curious June 2023 Devon
    Tiff ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your kind words, I'm sorry to hear you're in a similar situation... I think in society there's an expectation to have family at your wedding, even if they're toxic or if you have a bad relationship with them... A small part of me wants to invite my mum, but I know she'd probably just get wasted and cause drama.. as for my dad, he's done some unspeakable things in the last few months that I just cannot look past. It does hurt but me and my fiancé are putting in so much effort planning and money that i don't want to risk them wrecking it

I hope you have an amazing day, you deserve it x
  • Tiff
    Curious June 2023 Devon
    Tiff ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Sarah, thank you for your lovely words... Whenever I actually stop and think about it, it is heartbreaking but at the end of the day, my parents have made their bed and now they have to lie in it. If my dad came forward and apologised I'd probably re-invite him, but I highly doubt that's going to happen so I just have to try and deal with that

Thank you x
  • Tiff
    Curious June 2023 Devon
    Tiff ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your kind words Michelle, it's a difficult situation

I hope you have an amazing day x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sadly my wedding is off at the moment don't know what date or year it will be on but it will be a wedding just don't know when no thanks to family but enjoy your planning x♥️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics