Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pinkman'sBitch
Beginner September 2013

Is it really sad to organise your own hen do?

Pinkman'sBitch, 9 of January of 2013 at 22:22 Posted on Planning 0 20

I do have a MOH but I'd feel a bit cheeky saying 'look organizing my hen do is your role' but I've got the impression that your a bit of a saddo if you have to organise your own?

what are you guys all doing?

20 replies

Latest activity by Samiad, 10 of January of 2013 at 19:50
  • erinm
    Beginner August 2013
    erinm ·
    • Hide content

Was thinking of organising my own too but cos I haven't decided on moh or bridesmaids lol! I don't think there's a problem with doing your own if you want

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Ludicrous. Of course it's not 'sad' to organise your own.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Don't be so quick to think your MOH won't want to organise your hen though - she might be raring to get on it!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I organised mine. We had a blast x

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Didn't mean the last bit to sound like some weird s*xual innuendo

• Pinkman'sBitch
    Beginner September 2013
    Pinkman'sBitch ·
    • Hide content

I've sorta mentioned it , but I don't wanna be cheeky lol I wouldnt expect her to like pay for it just like I dunno actually, its always other peoples expectations that get in the way of thinking, sod it I'll just do it. as I'm getting married in sept I thought , august might be a good time to go?

It just gonna be a meal and a night out as I have 2 small kids and a tight budget. gonna buy sashes etc.

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

My MOH was keen to organise mine (god knows why?) so ive let her get on with it and its nice that its all a suprise but id have no quarms planning it myself either.

• monkeybride
    Beginner June 2013
    monkeybride ·
    • Hide content

Not at all, maybe tell her when you are thinking of having it and say something along the lines of 'it would be really nice to organise together' - then you get to do what you want but with some input.

For what it's worth I'm going to 2 hens this year and both of them have been organised by the bride Smiley smile

• Pinkman'sBitch
    Beginner September 2013
    Pinkman'sBitch ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I have a special group for just me and my m.o.h so nearer the time I could be like , lets organise the hen do, would like your ideas? x

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Liar ?

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Busted

x

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

Firstly loving the username if it's a reference to breaking bad.. we might have to share jesse Pinkman though! haha.

Secondly, no I don't think it's sad. I'm going to help my 2 bm's organise mine as I have a different group of friends to the little group they're in so to speak. I will let them so stuff on their own though so I have some surprises.

• Katherine Courtney Weddings
    Katherine Courtney Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Good Morning.

It's absolutely not 'sad' to plan your own hen! In many ways it can be the only way to ensure you end of up doing exactly what you want. No disappointment. It's very considerate of you to not want to put the expectation on your MOH but I think in most cases when someone accepts the role it goes without saying that planning the bride's hen is a 'duty' attached to the role. I'm certain your MOH would be honoured to be involved with the planning of your hen - she is after all your Maid of Honour. Maybe you both can collaborate on the planning? Make it a joint effort to lessen the responsibility?

In any case please don't be pressured by rules or social expectations. This is your wedding and you should have exactly what you want! =)

Good luck and have fun!

KCW

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not sad.

I'm going to choose the destination and venues and guest list and then hand the rest over to MOH so she can do the inviting and booking etc. We've discussed and she's happy with this.

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

My MOH and I are likely to be getting married within weeks of each other, I figure she'll already have enough to do with the organisation of her wedding so I'll be organising my own hen night. I know I don't want a traditional hen party, lots of inflatable willies and l plates and planning it myself means I won't be hating every minute of it!

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

I was a bit of an unusual situation as my MOH lives in California so couldnt help, and my other bridesmaid never suggested anything (maybe she thought it wasn't her place to, I dunno) but I'm also quite independent and pro-active myself and she knows this and I think she knows I'd rather just get on with it.

I hadn't arranged anything yet but two weeks ago my MOH called me and told me she was flying me to Las Vegas! So that's that sorted then! Then I'll just do something separately with my bridesmaid here in the UK (I wasn't going to have any others involved anyway).

So, off to Vegas in March, a month before the wedding!

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha, NO IT'S NOT SAD! It's SENSIBLE!

I 'conceptualised' ? my hen do- found the accommodation I wanted, found activities I wanted to do, basically planned the whole thing then offloaded all the 'boring' stuff (getting deposits, arranging transport, etc.) to my mum and sister. I am a bit of a control freak with things like this and I was so determined that I DID NOT want a 'typical' hen do (strippers, pink limo, 'L' plates, etc) EVEN IN AN IRONIC SENSE that I thought it safer to plan it myself, rather than have a serious sense of humour failure on the day. I think they have planned a couple of little 'surprise' things, but there is no way I'd let them plan the whole thing!

So instead, we're having a Famous Five themed weekend on the Isle of Wight staying in a converted tin Mission Hall, with picnics, treasure hunts, bike rides, kayaking and other wholesome outdoor activities and, of course, lashings of ginger beer! ?

This is where we're staying (sorry for the flash, but I'm so excited, any excuse!!):

• Pinkman'sBitch
    Beginner September 2013
    Pinkman'sBitch ·
    • Hide content

Ooh thats an interesting concept for a hen do,

I have to say I don't mind cheap and cheerful and and am quite happy to say I just want to get hammered!?

I'm planning it around august so its possibly a bit early days yet?

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I organised my own meal, night out and sashes and I am awesome.

You could get your MOH to organise osme kind of quiz to do? My bridesman and mum did that with a 'Mr and Mrs' theme, and then bridesman had organised a kind of treasure hunt for me that I had to do. Then my work bestie had organised a booth to be decorated for us. You could give people different aspects of the night to sort, or just handle it all yourself.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

I organised my own hen weekend, that way we did what I wanted and that I know my family and friends would enjoy.

If you don't want to organise it all yourself then just ask your MOH when you can get together to start sorting ideas for it.

• Samiad
    Beginner April 2014
    Samiad ·
    • Hide content

It's definitely not sad! I'm thinking about organising, or helping to organise my own. Maybe you could just give your MoH some ideas, or you organise it, but say that you'd love some surprises along the way?

I notice a lot of people have said that they don't want a typical hen do with willies and L plate etc (neither do I). I've seen lots of people say this, so much so, am now wondering if this is now in fact not a typical hen night, and now a typical hen night would be more likely to be cupcake decorating or similar followed by dinner and cocktails (my idea of a good time anyway!)

Skeptical - please can I come on your hen night, it looks awesome! Love the Famous Five!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics