Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G

Is my sister Bridezilla or is she normal?

getting by, 23 August, 2012 at 16:46 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 22

My sister announced last year that she was going to have a small intimate wedding abroad. It happened that both the location (Antigua) and the hotel (a sandals resort) she chose were quite expensive. However, despite this fact I and my partner were never ONCE asked if this was within our price range. Instead as close relatives we were just expected to pay whatever the required cost. Which to be honest did always seem a tad wrong given that she and her partner could not actually afford this specific location and hotel themselves, and were thus both being funded by my dad.

I suppose as she know me and my partner technically have sufficient savings she just expects that there is no issue as they can easily be used. The thing though is we both work AT LEAST 20 hours a week (in addition to our normal full time jobs) to help build up our own business. We want our savings for this business which we hope will bring us a lifetime of happiness, and not just 1 week. For this reason we scrimp and save in every aspect of our lives from food to clothes to travel on a daily basis. The most either of us have ever spent on a 7 day holiday together per person is £550 (all in) and this holiday will be about double.

Looking for ways to make her 1 week wedding affordable (and not to affect our future plans) we looked at self catering accommodation nearby. However, we (and others who tried to do this) were instructed we MUST stay in the hotel she was! We therefore came to the conclusion it would be best to make this trip, in addition to the 1 week wedding, our main holiday of the year (1.5yrs). We decided we would leave the expensive hotel after the one week and stay in a very cheap bed and breakfast on the other side of the island for 2 weeks. This would then bring the per day cost down to about £65pounds person which was much more reasonable.

We were then in further financial luck as there was a good flight deal to the island recently. We wanted to book this, and called my sister to check everything was OK with this, which he said yes to. However, half an hour later she text to say she had changed her mind and she didn’t want us to stay on the island the same length of time as her.

She was adamant that we should change the flights immediately, despite the fact that to do so would cost us £120 each. As much as this pained us, especially as she not once offered to help with the £120 changing fee we were happy to change to 10 days so she was there 4 days longer than us (to make her honeymoon the more special trip). This, however, was not short enough still for her and it eventually came out that she really didn’t want us staying a single extra day. She just wants us to come to the expensive wedding, as that is what the focus should be on, and then go. Staying any longer is disrespectful to her and grossly devalues her wedding and honeymoon.

What is everyone’s thought on this? Are me and my partner missing something? She seems completely irate and firm in her belief that we are wrong for not being willing to spend £2200 on a week. She says everyone else (4 other guests) are happy to do it and can't understand why we are not. When it comes to an only sister should you be willing to spend above and beyond what you normally would if you do have the money? Are we wrong too in trying to make this trip better value for money for ourselves?

Any comments would be great! Feel free to ask any questions to and I will try to answer ASAP!

22 replies

Latest activity by venart, 4 September, 2012 at 08:23
  • Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear- she does sound unreasonable to me. Me and my OH are going to a Sandals and we warned people of this beforehand as we knew it would be expensive and that people probably wouldn't be able to come. I think that you should not be expected to pay this money out at all, in fact if I was insisting that someone came to my wedding I would be paying for their flights or accomodation! at the Sandals we are going to ,you do not have to stay there in order to be a guest- all it means is you have to pay for a day pass to get into the resort-it is from $100-$180 dollars . Seeing as she has not helped you out, perhaps she will pay for this so you can attend, and then you can stay elsewhere in a nice little guest house. She sounds Bridezilla all the way !!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, not sure if this is some inexplicable spam or not...

If not, your sister is being one of the more unreasonable brides I've heard of around this forum. If you really want to have a holiday, have one. I don't usually recommend caving in but possible to travel to another island for week two? You get a wider experience and she's happy?

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

I can't even be bothered to read it.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if this is spam or not, but either way, she is not normal.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to be optimistic and assume this isn't spam.

Your sister is being petty and childish. Be upfront about what you can and cannot afford. If you want to stay in a different hotel from her/want to stay longer it is really your decision (assuming you didn't plan to spend every day with them after the wedding and give them some space!) you maybe should post this on WP. You might get more help/advice of people in similar situations.

• G
    getting by ·
    • Hide content

Sadly this is not spam! This is my real situation at the moment and I didn't even write the half of it!

I didn't mention, for example, that after getting us to put the initial deposit down for the holiday/hotel for the "intimate" wedding she announced that she was going to be having a wedding reception in the UK. Not just any wedding reception but one in a grand house with grounds, 100+ people, food and drink, she will be wearing her wedding dress and speeches will me made. To me it sounds like another wedding!

She is expecting a wedding gift too from me-she has made that very clear.

She takes things so personally though and bears grunges for so long. In the past I have always dared say nothing as I dont want to fall out with her. However, I think this stance has got her into very childish behavior.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We get ALOT of spammers here, so this makes a nice change!

Yes, she's being a complete bridezilla!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, what a cow! She is being utterly selfish.

Again would just like to point out that we get spammers here all the time so excuse the assumptions that you were one.

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I've just tried 3 times to write some advice but I'm lost for words. She is being completely unreasonable and I think someone needs to tell her this.

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

I think as you are making the effort to go there for her wedding and scrimp and save to do so, then you should be able to stay as long as you want especially as you are not going to be in the same hotel as them so you wont actually see them. i would tell her that you cannot change the flights now as they are all booked and as they are longhaul schedule flights they are non changable! ( which most scheduled flights you cantg change them)

i would reassure her that even though you will be staying longer than the week you wont expect to see them after the first week and that you will probable be on different flights home anyway,

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Yes, completely unreasonable.

I can't believe you've let her get away with so much so far. I'd print this thread and show it to her. Maybe it'll make her realise what a selfish, immature twonk she's being.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

She is being completely unreasonable. Would she allow you to change your outbound flight, having a week of cheap holiday before the wedding? Then you aren't on the island at the same time as her but you still get a good value holiday?

As for a present, I'd take a trip to poundland if I were you

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

Completely a Bridezilla. Sister needs to get over herself. I would tell her so.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

As everyone else has said, she is being completely unreasonable.

I can't believe you changed your flight for her! You are one loyal sister, and she should be grateful - not demanding all these things off you!!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Wow, what a complete Bridezilla! We also got married abroad, and paid for everyone's accommodation. Everyone went out on the flight with us and came back on the flight with us. We wouldn't have dreamed of ordering people to go home again after travelling all that way for us. She sounds spoilt and totally immature. No way in the world would I be going all that way for her wedding and then disappearing back home as soon as she clicked her fingers.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

If she is expecting you to pay for flights and accommodation she shouldn't be expecting a present, especially from family who are being made to leave when she wants. In short she is being silly and childish and just ignore her. I would just get her a tiny little present (if anything)

my mum did loads for our wedding but she doesn't have a lot of money so she did things that mattered to me ie made the cake, helped choose my dress, help pick ribbon for flowers etc. and she felt guilty she didn't get me a proper present. She bought be a button heart from John Lewis and a little horseshoe. In all honesty they were two of my favourite presents. My brother did the DJing and bought me a sixpence for my shoe so it definitely not presents that count.

If you are getting married abroad, IMO theres not a problem asking people to pay for flights etc but don't expect them to, say when they can come home AND expect a present.

For what it's worth I'm glad this isn't spam (not for you obviously, your sister sounds like a nightmare!) we get so much here, it's easy to be mistaken for it.

Hope everything works out in the end.

• G
    Beginner April 2012
    gheko ·
    • Hide content

She is a complete Bridezilla and that is putting it mildly. I would tell her to bog off and stick with your original plans. If you are flying all the way out there then you stay as long as you want. She cannot dictate that you MUST stay in the same hotel or when you should leave the island.

She needs to get a grip!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

I am sorry but a wedding day is that ONE day not the right to rule over your family! What I don't understand is if you knew she was going to be so demanding why did you give her any choice! You should have just booked your flights and hotel and then said sorry the money is spent and you can't change it so you will have to lump it!

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• AirAngelmakeup
    AirAngelmakeup ·
    • Hide content

I would stay for an extra week after she goes home!!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Totally bridezilla! Very inconsiderate and rude. It's not like you'll be staying in the same hotel, right?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics