Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

JoJo&Lee
Beginner July 2022 East Sussex

Is using “stock” images to advertise, a standard practice for wedding photographer s

JoJo&Lee, 9 of September of 2022 at 08:23 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 4
Hi I’ve recently received my wedding photos and they do not measure up to those shown on my photographers website. I went back to them to explain I was not happy and request a partial refund. I explained that I’ve now found out his advertising images are stock photos. His reply is that the images he gave me are sufficient and it’s normal industry practice to use stock images to advertise so there is nothing wrong with that and he has refused to compensate. Do any resident photographers here have a few on that?

4 replies

Latest activity by PhotographybyBillHaddon, 12 of September of 2022 at 10:29
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Seriously?!!!!!

I can't believe this guy is for real. Of course it's not 'normal industry practice' for a wedding photographer to use other people's photos to advertise his/her OWN photography. That's like saying that it's standard industry practice for a florist to use pictures of another florist's bouquets on her website, or a cake maker to use photos of another baker's cakes. The whole point of having photos on a website is to help you decide if you like the work that that person produces. So yes, if you are a florist or a baker, you might use someone else's photos of your OWN bouquets or cakes on your website, because whoever takes the picture, the bouquet/cake is still your own work. But when you are advertising your photography, then of course the pictures should be your own, because that is what the customer is looking at to decide if they want to book you or not.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Oh, and please leave a review of this guy on Hitched, because it would be awful if any other couples booked him - he sounds like a total nightmare. Not to mention dishonest.

• C
    Curious June 2023 East Sussex
    Caris ·
    • Hide content
    This is so heartbreaking to hear and I'm so sorry you went through this. Definitely leave reviews everywhere you can! Also is there any chance you can recoup the money through small claims? He clearly did not meet the terms of the contract plus used false advertising? Is there a legal bod on here who can offer any advice because this is horrendous for the couple!
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

NO NO and NO it is not 'normal industry practice' for a wedding photographer to use other people's photos to advertise his/her OWN photography.

However I have seen it before on here and on other forums/groups so it is not totally unusual.

If I were to give my views on the subject here I will be banned !

I have spotted it many times on shooters websites where the images on their main site look ok but then when you see a whole or part whole wedding the quality just does not match up.

The best way to to check is to ask to see a whole wedding. If your wedding is in the middle of winter then that's one you need to see and not one in Summer.

Best to actually see one that they have taken at your venue too.

I usually can spot them a mile off but you see something on their website that looks just different to the rest then do a reverse image google check.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics