Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner May 2026 North London

It’s all a bit bleak

Beth, 20 of August of 2021 at 18:12 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9
I got engaged last year and although we had fun that evening when I was excited to tell people it was such a downer. The response I got was something similar to “ah cool” not much from my parents or family.
I wasn’t expecting a massive party or anything, just a bit more than cool.
I know people have things going on in their lives something I was hoping something positive would help. I don’t tell people now. Save the embarrassment.
My partners ex wife is going to make things difficult, financially we’re struggling as it is providing child support for 3. Our rented house is a nightmare.
I just don’t feel any joy or excitement.There’s no Bridal magazines now. I don’t know if that’s due to Covid. I don’t have any friends to go bridal shops with. I need support going to these as I’m quite an ugly bride and I need a balance of covering up and not being over the top and mutton dressed as lamb.
Has anyone got engaged and then completely flat and disinterested after? It’s suppose to be a happy time. Often I don’t wear my ring because A. My fingernails are disgusting, B. My fingers change size throughout the day and it just spins and C. I feel like I don’t want anyone to ask me about it because of how I feel.
This probably seems really selfish.
Has anyone else felt it is feeling similar?
B x

9 replies

Latest activity by Emma, 31 of August of 2021 at 02:53
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Firstly please don't put yourself down, he loves you for who you are so that is all that matters. We had a similar reaction from some friends and family but we put it aside and just live in our moment. It is hard as you have the initial rush and then nothing until you start to think about when you want to book, which, if finances are tight can be difficult.

I would suggest you talk to your H2B about how you feel and see if you can maybe do a small wessinf that encompasses your kids and the main people you want to celebrate with you. It is not about spending on big fancy things but the marriage of 2 people in love, so keep it simple.
    Try and keep your chin up, honestly, you do sound as if you are a bit depressed so maybe see your doctor or just put a hold on everything until you feel better and ready to start planning.
    For your ring spinning, mine does the same and I got ring adjuster (plastic coil ones) from Amazon, is a fiver and you can cut them to size, have a look. Good luck xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I agree with charlotte he loves for who you are sorry you feel like this sending all my love to you 💗
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    I agree with Charlotte too. He loves you for you. You don’t have to have a big, expensive wedding. Please don’t call yourself ugly. Sounds like a trip to the doctor could be beneficial too. Lots of love to you. Xx
  • L
    Curious September 2021 West Midlands
    Luxuriousgoldhair63616 ·
    • Hide content
    Theres a lot of joy when you realise that he loves you and wants to spend the rest of his life with you. Men never make that decision lightly, so when you feel or bring yourself down, always remember that he chose you. On everyone else, I've had the reaction more the other way around. I had friends react excitedly when I told them and gave save the dates, that was around the time of the first lockdown. Then I contacted them about the hen and if they were still planning to come, they either said no or ignored me. I am down to a couple of friends and mainly family. For my hen it was only one friend and my sisters, everyone else turned it down. I'm not entirely sure people really want to be there at the wedding, some probably feel obliged. It really got me down, like reeeeeally, the wedding process isn't what I thought it'd be. They say its fun, but whatever joy is in planning was completely sucked out during all the lockdowns. I decided eventually that I had to see this for what it should be, which is that I'm marrying my best friend. Someone who, despite everyone else, has really been there during my best and worst times. That's all that matters.

Hoping that reassures you that you're not alone but also that there is a much much bigger and better focus in all this 😊
  • Starryskies104
    Beginner October 2025 Nottinghamshire
    Starryskies104 ·
    • Hide content
    Lack of family support is more common than you think. A lot of people jumped at the chance to continue their wedding through COVID because it meant they could use it as an excuse for not inviting arsehole relatives and in-laws. I think the best thing you can do is speak to someone about drafting a budget of what you can afford first (like a local bank). Then with that figure; you have more info to work out what options you want. You don’t have to do a honeymoon straight away (again: COVID), and see what you are eligible for such as claiming work related expenses back on tax, tax credits, childcare assistance etc. Don’t worry; it’s overwhelming but it’s only one day x
  • Hayley
    Rockstar September 2022 Norfolk
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Beth. I am really sorry you feel this way and that your family have not been supportive. Please don't say such negative things about yourself, there's enough people out there to do that for you without you doing it yourself. You will look lovely. The day is about you and your future husband. Have you spoken to him about your feelings and how he is feeling too? You could always have a really intimate wedding if you don't feel others are very bothered about it anyway. Who wants that negativity around them. Hope you feel better about it soon.
  • Rhiannon
    Beginner March 2023 Durham
    Rhiannon ·
    • Hide content

Hi Beth, I'm so sorry you're feeling like this. Please don't put yourself down, it might be worth talking to your H2B about some of your current feelings. It's always tricky when others aren't as excited as you'd hoped but try and surround yourself with people who are supportive of the wedding and you feel able to speak openly with. I've listened to a few wedding podcasts and have found these really interesting so this may be an option if you're struggling to get hold of any magazine? There are lots of great online resources now as well and Pinterest is great for getting ideas!

• E
    Savvy August 2021 Central & Glasgow
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    Firstly congratulations!!

Remember the engagement is between you and your partner. The wedding will be about you and your partner and the marriage again, it's you two.
    The reaction is disappointing but remember your own reaction to the proposal. Be selfish, do what makes you and your husband to be happy.
    People are sometimes just jealous too so try focus on the good. You could always get a ring tattoo haha or wear it round your chain?
    Be proud of your engagement and your relationship no matter what the reaction is, as long as YOU are happy
  • E
    Savvy August 2021 Central & Glasgow
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    Also do not put pressure on yourself.
    Wear what makes you comfy and happy.
    Remember the models are paid and photoshopped to look a way in bridal mags.
    Maybe have a girls night with your bridesmaids as a boost and plan some positive things along the way. And if they're not buzzing for you then they aren't bridesmaids!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics