Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner August 2013

I've changed my mind about my dress:0((((

vintagerose, 23 of September of 2012 at 15:11 Posted on Planning 0 79

Has anyone else out there had a dress wobble? Bought my dress last weekend in a sale so it's non returnable and now I'm beside myself as I think I've made a big mistake! It's is a beautiful dress but it will need taking up considerably as I'm only 5ft 2 and I'm worried that taking it up soon much will spoil the flare of the dress, I've also decided that I dont like the neckline as its a v neck lace with capped sleeves and I just feel that it's too modest, that it covers me up too much arghh! My sisters and my mum thinks its gorgeous but I just don't see it, I think I kind of went along with the whole thing as everyone was telling me how lovely it's was and that it was e only one they had and it would likely be snapped up if I didn't get it there and then..... I've been sobbing my heart out every time I think about it! I really don't know what to do! Help! X

79 replies

Latest activity by Mary C to be K, 1 of June of 2013 at 23:51
  • Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no ! Poor you. You do have options- you could sell it on if you're really not happy and start again-on your own-and choose something you like without anyone else's influence. Or, you could speak to a dressmaker about altering the look- the sleeves could be removed or converted to thinner straps ? Or you could flash a pic of you in the dress so that Hitchers could see you in it? Hope you come up with something x

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

I'd say around 50% of brides have dress wobbles, you are not alone! If you're really concerned about the v-neck I'm sure you can alter it to take the straps off, they won't be holding the dress up they're just aesthetic. Can you flash a pic of it?

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

When was the last time you tried it on? If wen you are wearing if you don't love it take it to a seamstress. I had mine significantly altered for about £100 following a massive wobble and was so glad I did. Amazed at what they could do and adored the result.

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Here it is, I wish the neckline was wider and the sleeves smaller and if they chop of the bottom, I think it'll be too straight and wont hang so nice, I'm stood on a stool in the pic btw! I haven't tried it on since I got it home last weekend, I like the back, just hate the front!

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Original post deleted my computers slow

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think its stunning but if you aren't happy then get it altered. That can totally be changed - you could have straps rather than whats there and it should also be possible to alter the neckline of the material underneath if you wanted. and a good seamstress will be able to make sure that taking it up doesn't alter the line of the dress.

it really is stunning.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I think it's gorgeous.

A good seamstress would be able to change the neckline if you want them to and I'm sure they'll be able to take it up, no problem.

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Also its actually two dresses, the under dress is a satin mermaid style, and more slinky and the lace is a dress that goes over the top. I love the lace as I'm going for vintage/country but I'm afraid that the lace wont be easy to modify.....please be honest peeps, I really need honest feedback right now! x

• lindsay.jeffries
    Beginner June 2014
    lindsay.jeffries ·
    • Hide content

I absolutely love this and think it realy suits you. I'd definately go with being comfortable though and with what you feel right in for the day. Which designer is this?

x

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Duh the pictures didnt load before. It is beautiful and it really suits you!

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

It's Benjamin Roberts 2032 or may be 2302. I'm heartened by your replies! x

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

The top is very similar to mine, my dress is Pronovias Bianca. I'm having the top changed though (see pics)

You'd be amazed at what a good seamstress can do!!!

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Benjamin Roberts x

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Wow! I love it, Id like the neck opening up like that! I hope its possible, aww I appreciate your pics, Im already feeling much better x

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Vintage84......how much approx will your alterations cost? xx

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Yay, always happy to help! Dress wobbles are horrible, they make you feel awful x

EDIT: They capped my alterations at £100 max.

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

You know mrsyard2b I think you've quite possibly hit the nail on the head....I do think its not like the dresses that I've seen other brides in and I've doubted my choice because of that, I think I imagined myself in something more puffed and more attractive and sassy and when i saw a pic of myself in it when I got it home, i felt a little, well, flat and boring! I tried the princess styles and they drowned me and I felt even more disappointed! I do think I'll look into alterations... my H2B has said if I'm not happy then I can sell it and get another as he can't bare seeing me so unhappy...I just feel awful that I've possibly made a very expensive error! xx

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

I have to say I really like the dress and I think it suits you perfectly! I don't think having it shortened will ruin it,and I'm sure that the sleeves can be altered without ruining it as well. It doesn't look flat and boring,it looks classic and elegant-you will be able to look at your pics in 20 years time and it will still look lovely. x

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone, I feel loooooads better knowing my options! I should look into hiring a seamstress asap and see what they can do for me.

So, honestly, do you agree that it would look better with more of an open neck line and the sleeves to be made smaller???

x

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Vintagerose my wobbles have been about the exact same reasons!! Both of our dresses are completely different to anything any of my friends have gotten married in, they had the "classic wedding dress"..satin, corsetted, some sort of ruching or detailling.

If you're worried about your dress being flat, have you tried wearing a hoop underneath it? My dress looks stunning with a hoop underneath, without a hoop it does look a little flat.

• L
    Beginner January 2011
    lynd ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think it looks absolutely stunning on you and if I looked like you in that dress I wouldn't change a thing... but it's your day and your choice and if you opened up the neckline it would still be beautiful. it's a lovely lovely dress

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Vintage 84, we do have quite similar styles dont we! I hadnt thought of a hoop, however, the under dress is more mermaid style as pictured,and the lace goes over the top.. I wonder if they do hoops or netting that might help puff it out? PS I love your dress, I need mine to look more like yours then id be happy x

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure they do hoops for fishtail style dresses. My dress hasn't been altered yet, it was just pinned in place in that piccie. Fingers crossed it looks right! The model pics of my dress are a bit scary, the model looks unnaturally long and skinny!

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Thank you lynd thats really kind of you to say xx

• V
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagerose ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, the models tend to look very willowy in these dresses...I wouldnt have looked twice at my dress had I seen it on the model pics first! Hope your alterations all go to plan, keep us updated! Im going to try to find someone asap, I rang one and she wont consider even taking a booking from me until november...I really feel if I could just chat to a seamstress about the possibilities then Id feel better, in the meantime Im going to check out some serious underskirt puffage lol!

I am so glad I decided to bring this whole fiasco up for discussion, tears have dired up and Im feeling so much more confident about my dress from all your encouraging comments....I might just go and have a little stroke of it now and appologise for ever doubting her beauty lol xx

• katiechops
    Beginner June 2013
    katiechops ·
    • Hide content

Hello Vintagerose, Im glad your feeling better as I think this is beautiful! The lace is stunning and its so vintage so its going to look amazing in all your photos for years to come. Dont forget once you have your shoes, hair and makeup and jewelry on etc you will get the full effect. You will look stunning xx

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Glad you're feeling a bit better now. Honestly, when I saw your pics I thought your looked stunning. The dress is beautiful and really suits you. If you are worried it's a good plan to contact a seamstress and discuss your worries and possible alterations and underskirts. But you look absolutely fab!

I and plenty of others had serious dress wobbles! Big hugs! :-)

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

I think it's beautiful, I've been having dress wobbles thinking I should have tried something of this style as I bought mine very quickly. It's hard not to have wobbles over your wedding dress, it feels like such a big deal and buying it so far in advance gives you too much time to think about it, especially when you're constantly looking at wedding magazines or seeing people flash theirs on here...

I think it would look nice with thinner straps if you would feel more comfortable, but it is already gorgeous. Vintage, elegant and classic.

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

P.S. You can get fishtail hoops - I'm having one for mine, it makes all the difference

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

WOW Stunning I think its a beautiful elegant dress and it really suits you!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I just HAD to reply to your message, having been in exactly the same position as you and posted about similar wobbles.

I too wanted a vintagey style dress and initially put a deposit on a dress I thought was what I wanted. But like you I had an instant regret and was concerned I'd just jumped because it was a good price and I had to get it then and there... My sister convinced me to look some more in a bid to reassure me that I'd made the right decision. I did end up going for a different dress in the end (one of the reasons being that the first was from a dress agency and I felt so much more special in a new dress, which would be mine).

I went for a dress similar to this (slightly different sleeves) and wore a hoop which made the world of difference (follow the link on my signature below for pics) and I also swapped the sash and put a vintage inspired brooch on it to personalise it. However, even with all of these changes I had doubts, but now my wedding day is history, I love it for being my dress, just as fellow hitchers said I would.

For what it's worth I think your dress is breath-takingly stunning! I think the neck and the large sleeves make the dress ... Remember modest IS vintage Smiley smile

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Its absolutely stunning!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics