Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2013

Jukebox jury

Missusp2b, 24 October, 2011 at 14:59 Posted on Planning 0 7

Afternoon Ladies,

I was thinking of hiring a jukebox to have at my reception venue so that throughout the day there is a fun music filled atmosphere. I really want an informal, fun, noisy, chatty and relaxed atmosphere and I think that this would help provide some entertainment without breaking the bank. I thought it could be played throughout the day when guests are having canapes etc and then after the meal before the evening reception gets started.

I was feeling very proud of myself for coming up with the idea but when I told the woman I share my office with she thought the idea was tacky ?

Now I'm second guessing myself so I've come to you for your opinions.......be my jukebox jury!

7 replies

Latest activity by MrsJenLarkin, 24 October, 2011 at 17:29
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I think, in principle, it's fine, a cute idea. But were you planning on letting guests choose tracks?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Do you have a 'theme' for the rest of the day?

In principle it sounds like a great idea - however it could really look out of place at, say, a 'vintage garden party themed wedding'?

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

It could be good for daytime.

You may find some people hog the system and you could be facing 4hrs of Justin Beiber (?) or Metalica, but otherwise a nice way of providing background music.

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

I was at a wedding with a juke box. people put really rubbish songs on to annoy each other thinking it was funny and it randomly started to go off in the middle of the speaches!

This was only for the day time as there was a disco at night. No one was sure if they were meant to put money in it or not and i heard a lot of people saying it was 'a cheek' to expect guests to pay for the entertainment. Think it was actually free to use but there was nothing to say it was so if u going for it I would make sure guests knew it was free to use it.

I personally would not have it at my wedding but if you like it go for it, doesn't matter what the lady in the office thinks. People have too many unwanted opinions when it comes to other peoples weddings.

x

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of jukeboxes, and even suggested it to my OH for our reception (but was shot down pretty quickly haha). The supplier I saw had one that was digital (so many thousands of tracks), free to play and there was a secret skip track button on the back so if you didn't like any songs you could skip them. However, the price was only marginally cheaper than a DJ (by about £50 or so), and we came to the conclusion that a DJ would get people up and dancing and be able to judge the flow of the music moreso than a jukebox, and people can still request songs.

ETA - Sorry, just seen you wanted it for the daytime anyway! I'd say if your budget can afford it, then go for it. But I would class it as an optional wedding extra IYSWIM. We're just having an ipod playlist for the background music.

• MrsJenLarkin
    Beginner January 2012
    MrsJenLarkin ·
    • Hide content

I hired a digital Juke Box from Funky Diva for our wedding in May.

It cost us £270 but you get that Juke Box for 24 hours, with speakers.

It went down an absolute treat at our wedding. Everyone commented to us what a fantastic idea it was. It was never un manned with people searching for there favourite song. And as mentioned above, you can have a password on it so if you see any songs on the playlist that you think 'No Way!' too, you can deleted them. People partied on that dance floor all evening and felt comfortable doing so, cos I know for one, I hate going and asking for a song to be played at a wedding. But this, I searched, found and waited for my song to be played!

Go on..... go for it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics