Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jumbly Girl
Beginner May 2010

Jumbly Girl's late wedding report. Excessive flashing- sorry!

Jumbly Girl, 20 of June of 2010 at 20:57 Posted on Planning 0 37

I’ve been incredibly tardy in getting this out, but where to begin? I’ll skip most of the build up as the day itself was far more fun. However, I will flash my lovely cakes that my sister, brother and I spent several hours making the day before and I’m super-proud of them (although apparently my bro was going around telling everyone that if they’d had a good one, if was one of his!). And here are my OODs too as I spent hours on them and I think they look fab (plus they were great fans given the heat on the day)!

The morning - highlights

So, I woke up to the sound of bird song around 7ish (a major lie-in for those of you that remember my terrible sleeping dramas) and the sun was already beaming through my curtains. I’ve been racking my brains trying to work out what I did in the morning, but I only have vague recollections of doing a crossword….

Go go go – arrival at the venue

We raced to the venue in my Dad’s car about 40mins late. I wasn’t dressed at this point, as I didn’t want to crease my dress by sitting in the car – but it was funny waving to lots of passers-by in my jeans and hoodie as we hurtled past them. When we arrived, it was a real covert operation sneaking me into the venue without anyone seeing, and my sister and brother did a sterling job with texts and hand signals – although apparently we forgot to tell Jumbly Boy when I was in safely, so he was holed up in his room for ages by himself, getting more and more nervous – woops!

Getting ready

I spent the next thirty minutes or so prancing around in my much talked-about super-hot pants (https://www.johnlewis.com/) drinking champagne (unfortunately my poor brother bore witness to this and I fear I may have scarred him for life).

The room I was in had a view over the lochside and where the ceremony was all set up (so utterly beautiful) and I got annoyed as I saw more and more of my friends sitting on Jumbly Boy’s side and my sister had to hold me back from hollering out of the window at them to move to my side!

A tip for those of you still to get married – I deliberately didn’t bother with a watch all day as I figured people would chivvy me along when I needed to be places. They didn’t. Oblivious me, I was actually about 20 minutes late – apparently Jumbly Boy was getting really worked up and the heat really didn’t help!

The ceremony

Dad was really nervous, which threw me, as he is normally is a very collected person, but we had only walked about a metre when the venue manager hissed at me ‘Jumbly Girl, lift your bouquet up!’ – I had been holding it like an unopened umbrella by my side. Thankfully, that made us both chuckle.

As I walked down the aisle all I could focus on was Jumbly Boy. But he didn’t turn around as I approached. I found out later that as soon as the harp player started playing Sigur Ros’s Hoppipolla, the poor lamb was struggling to keep it together (he will fervently deny this though).

The ceremony went really quickly. Our readers did an amazing job ("epithalamium" by Aonghas Macneacail and “No Matter What” by Debi Gliori – v. appropriate as JB is over a foot taller than me – so we’re “small” and “large”). Apparently, nearly all of the guests were in tears by this point! The latter reader was a friend who had flown over from the US and I hadn’t seen in years – so it was so fantastic to have him there, I couldn’t stop grinning as soon as I’d spotted him: it just made my day.

JB struggled a bit with the vows, but I was pleased that I managed to smile through mine. And then it was all over. We walked back down the aisle as husband and wife to ‘I believe in a thing called love’ by The Darkness – but on the harp, which was wonderful!

Reception and the fun begins

I felt like the drinks reception whizzed by, but everyone seemed to enjoy guzzling champers, canapés, and playing croquet in the sun - however, we did have time for a few photos!

Speeches (very entertaining – especially when JB handed the floor over to my Best Woman, and she hadn’t prepared anything but managed to make up a wonderful speech on the spot), dinner (scrumptious), first dance (not too bad, especially as people thought we’d practiced tons!), ceilidh (a mess, but they always are, that’s the beauty of them!), and band (amazing and no cheese!) soon followed. The evening was still hot and there was a phenomenal sunset, so everyone stood outside during the buffet enjoying the beautiful evening.

Right, I’ve gone on for a bit long so here are the highlights from the rest of the evening:

Our best man wore a homemade kilt made from a material with skulls and crossbones all over it.

One of the guests ripped his trousers during the croquet (I think it must have been a rather energetic game) and ended up in shorts and t-shirt for the rest of the evening!

It was so hot that several guests stripped down to their pants and went swimming in the loch. There are a lot of pictures of amusing pictures of me in my dress chatting to half naked wet men.

My Dad does not dance. Ever. But he did.

All of the boys tying their ties around their heads and taking it in turns to chest bump on the dance floor (we have some fab action shots of boys toppling over).

Our friend hijacking the microphone and singing some songs with the band!

Final dance was “500 miles” by the Proclaimers, where JB and I danced in the centre of a huge circle and then took it in turns to spin with a guest then each other, another guest and then each other and so on until we collapsed in a heap on the floor at the end!

After the guests had headed home, JB and I headed out for a walk as we were still buzzing at about 2am. Donned in JB’s size 11 flip flops (I’m size 3), some jeans and a hoodie over my fancy nightie ? , we thought it might be nice to let off a sky lantern by the lochside as we hadn’t had a chance to let them off during the evening. However, we couldn’t find them. It didn’t matter though as this was a real highlight for me – spending time with my new husband by moonlight and just talking about how wonderful the day had been. The perfect end to a perfect day.

So, all that remains is N&Ps:

Hair – Rachel at Josef Hair Design, Helensburgh

Venue – Ross Priory, Scotland

Hair accessories and jewellery – Victoria Fergusson

Photographer – lighthousestudios (Seppi)

Band – DDW (can’t recommend them enough)

Clarsach (harp) player – Rachel Hair (amazingly talented!)

Hope this hasn't bored you all! Thanks for reading!!!

37 replies

Latest activity by Spangler, 22 of June of 2010 at 15:32
  • lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic report!! It really does sound like you had the most perfect day. The highlights sound fab!! x

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Aw JG, what a lovely report. Love the photos and wish you and JB all the best x

• alexxinness
    Beginner September 2008
    alexxinness ·
    • Hide content

Awwww yay Jumbly looks like a fab day was had by all

Do flash a few pics of the wet men lol

You looked gorgeous

xxxxx

• buggerlugs
    Beginner June 2012
    buggerlugs ·
    • Hide content

Amazing pictures!

looks like you had a lovely, lovely time

I really like the idea of the harpist-and both OH and I adore sigur ros!

xx

• Beckyv83
    Beginner September 2010
    Beckyv83 ·
    • Hide content

Brilliant report, worth waiting for! You looked beautiful, amazing pictures.

x

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

We all love a bit of excessive flashing! It sounds amazing, and the pics are stunning - what a perfect, romantic day, it was a pleasure to read! Congratulations Mr and Mrs x

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

Sounded fantastic and absolutely gorgeous photos!! You looked stunning.

• bethanw
    Beginner May 2010
    bethanw ·
    • Hide content

Been waiting for this one! You look absolutely stunning. xx

• aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content

You look gorgeous, like a proper blushing bride! sounds like a fantastic day, love the end dance bit with you guys twirling people around haha. enjoy being a Mrs!xx

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Fantastic report, thanks for sharing. I am reading it from my phone and the photographs arent too clear so I can wait to see them tomorrow. From what I can see you both look amazing. congratulations mr and mrs jb. xx

• delvesje
    Super November 2010
    delvesje ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations to you both. I loved your report and pics, sounds like you had an amazing day, you looked stunning x

• L
    Beginner October 2010
    LISA221010 ·
    • Hide content

Loved your report!

Congratulations to you both - sounds like a fab day.

You looked lovely - really like how you had your hair and your dress is beautiful!!

• K
    Beginner April 2011
    katmoore ·
    • Hide content

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Great report and even better pics!you looked fab!!!xx
  • SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Sounds like you had a lovely day and you look gorgeous.

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations Jumbly girl, sounds like an amazing day and stunning photos

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Wonderful report, Congratulations! I wish you lots of happiness for your future together.

P.S. I love Victoria Fergusson stuff!

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Great report. You looked so ridiculously beautiful.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations and what a lovely report, it has even given me venue wobbles and I might need to rethink ?

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jumbly! Would you be able to email me some pics of the inside if you have any? My email address is jaimie cameron @ hotmail dot com? Thanks! I am very excited about ross Priory after looking to find somewhere on Loch Lomond that didn't require minimums of 80 to take a booking and eventually given up!

jx

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

Will do - but all of my pics are on my home laptop and I'm not home till Friday. Can it wait till then? The website has a few pics: https://www.strath.ac.uk/rosspriory/

• Tanya77
    Beginner August 2011
    Tanya77 ·
    • Hide content

Lovely photos! ❤️ Simply stunning wedding. Looks like it was the perfect day for you both. Congratulations!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, yeah that's no problem Smiley smile I had a wee look on the website, but I just wanted to see what it would be like for a wedding. Thank you for your help Smiley laugh

• emmy1979
    Rockstar June 2023 West Yorkshire
    emmy1979 ·
    • Hide content

You looked stunning and the weather was amazing to say it was Scotland. Congratulations!

• sidsidney
    Beginner
    sidsidney ·
    • Hide content

...theres no such thing as excessive flashing is there...!? Your photos are beautiful. Congratulations xx.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report Jumblers!!! Random question for you - do you know anyone with the surname Ritchie in Helensburgh??

PS. You looked BOOTIFUL! x

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

Aww sounds lovely. I especially like the ending ?

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Fabulous!!!!! you looked stunning and sooooo glad you had a perfect day.

congrats to you both!!!!

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like the dream day! You looked beautiful and stylish and the location sounds dreamy. We were first thinking of getting married in Scotland as OH's dad lives in Huntly, Aberdeenshire, and we were looking at Drum Castle or Castle Fraser. I am so glad you had good weather and was warm. It all looks like a wedding should look: happy, fun, relaxed, romantic and spirited! Congratulations and good luck in your new life as a Mrs! xxx

• budgetbabe
    Beginner July 2010
    budgetbabe ·
    • Hide content

Aw congrats Mr & Mrs Jumbly!

Stunning photos, you looked amazing, what a fab report!!! xxx

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks everyone! You guys are great for the ego!!!

I do - but to be honest I've lost touch with them. There's a sister who must be 28/29 (a wonderful dancer) and her brother who would be 30/31. Same people?

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yup same people! Really close family friends of mine!! Small world! x

• Jumbly Girl
    Beginner May 2010
    Jumbly Girl ·
    • Hide content

How funny! The girl and I used to enter dance competitions together (she obviously was far better) and we were in our primary school relay team together too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics