Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

judeclarke
Beginner October 2011

Kilts

judeclarke, 10 of August of 2010 at 22:08 Posted on Planning 0 8

My OH will be wearing a kilt for our wedding, and everyone keeps saying "oh, I didn't know he was Scottish". Well he's not, he's part Welsh so he's having his 'clan colours'. (I think he's got viking blood actually, but he's not having a horned helm ?)

So whose OH was/will be in a kilt? An did he go for clan tartan or just the colours he liked?

8 replies

Latest activity by Cookie Galore, 11 of August of 2010 at 13:06
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Mine wore his clan tartan cos he has the kilt. His bestman hired a black kilt tho as he had worn it previously at his brothers wedding the week before. Anyone else who wore a kilt wore whatever..

• inalein
    Beginner August 2010
    inalein ·
    • Hide content

Mine actually wanted to wear the black watch (he's ex army) but then decided on a different tartan which better goes with my dress lol. But his dad and my dad will wear the black watch. All the other wedding party are wearing yet another different tartan which works very well with the BM's dresses lol.

• MarieMarie1980
    Beginner August 2010
    MarieMarie1980 ·
    • Hide content

My OH and male members of the party are all wearing Dark Island kilt. Our colours are black and white and this kilt is a lovely black colour. Its not his clan colour, but just one that we liked.

HTH

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

OH is wearing his own clan kilt. The best man/usher will be hiring kilts probably in Hunting Stewart as it complements OH's tartan and I think it's a bit funny as OH is Stuart ?

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

My H was in a family tartan, which was bright red with green, the best man was in black watch (his own) and my dad and brothers were in modern douglas (like black watch but with an additional thin white check through it). I was stressed beyond belief before the day about whether this would look like an explosion in a woollen mill but in the end up it looked fine. My H had the Charlie jacket and a plaid to distinguish him as the groom (as if the bright red wasn't going to do that anyway ?) and the rest of them had argyle jackets to tie it all together.

What eventually calmed me down was realising that it being a Scottish wedding there was a fair chance that about 80% of the male guests would be in kilts and I couldn't very well dictate which tartan the guests would be in so there was always going to be a mix. Is your OH going with a formal jacket or a ghillie shirt (the Mel Gibson Special as my mum calls it)

• MrsS29
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsS29 ·
    • Hide content

All the men in my immediate family aswell as pageboys are wearing the silver thistle tartan. H2b didnt like his clan so we just went for something we both loved instead! H2b will be wearing a white shirt (aswell as our son) and all the other men will be wearing a black one Smiley smile

xx

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

Yes my OH will be in tartan! He picked a tartan that he liked just cos he wasnt fussed on his clan one. He's sproule so they wear the Colquhoun tartan apparently. He's having the "Autumn" Pride of Scotland tartan. I have bought him the Colquhoun kilt pin for the day though, as a present!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

My OH will be having a Charlie jacket and bow tie, he wants to look smart and although a ghillie shirt looks fab he thinks it's too informal for a wedding.

I just wish I could get my son into a kilt too, but at 13 he's determined he's not going to wear a 'skirt'!

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

My OH, best man and brothers all had the formals for the ceremony and dinner but got changed into ghillies for the evening so they were a bit cooler and could dance around like mad things.

Re your son, could you maybe take him to a kilt hire place (bribe with promise of McDonalds/chinese or something afterwards!) and ask him to try the stuff on and see how he looks and feels in the outfit. My dad was really unsure about it until I stong armed him into trying it all and he saw how good he looked in it! Also, if it's not a scottish wedding with loads of kilts him in a kilt may attract plenty of girly attention if he wants to flash photos of himself around after! All that said, if he's really not up for it I wouldn't push it too hard - you don't want him with a face like a week old scone and fidgeting all day.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics