Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

summer solstice
Beginner June 2008

Leak coming from upstairs in a flat - help what should I do? long sorry!

summer solstice, 30 of August of 2008 at 23:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

I live in a ground floor flat - last night when I went to bed I found puddles on my bedroom floor and water dripping from the light fitting in the centre of the ceiling! I went up and spoke to the guy upstairs (his kitchen is above my bedroom) and he says there was no leaking water in his kitchen, he came down had a look and said he would get his friend who fixes washing machines out to have a look during the week. I asked if he had been using his washing machine - he said no.

Tonight I have just come back from a meal out and the cinema - and went straight to check on the bedroom after him telling me that he would run the washing machine tonight to see if that was the problem - I had left a basin on the bed (which also got soaked last night) and again tonight my bedroom is covered in water - though there is less than last night

Went up to speak to the guy again tonight and he is now saying that we don't know for definite that it is coming from his flat, as he can't see any water up there. He suggested that the problem could be my boiler which is in my bedroom - at practically the same level as the bed, and I have no idea how he thinks the water is getting from there to the middle of the ceiling!

I have asked him to call out a plumber and he was very very reluctant.

We have employed a management company - but as it's the weekend have no way of getting in touch with them, and they have proved fairly useless up to this point anyway.

Since this is the first time I have owned property - I am not sure how this kind of problem should be dealt with in a shared building. What can I do? Who should I be trying to follow this up with?

I'm sleeping on a blow up bed in the living room tonight as I can't stay in my own bedroom!! ?

9 replies

Latest activity by Nilesh, 25 of February of 2024 at 21:25
  • Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content

What a nightmare

The management company are unlikely to do anything as they usually only deal with the common areas of the building.

You need to agree with him that either he will call a plumber out, or you will call them, and find out what it is. If you call one and it's in his flat then he needs to be in, and agree to pay the bill if it is coming from his.

If I was him I would be getting my own plumber in

• ebee
    Beginner January 2008
    ebee ·
    • Hide content

This happened to us. firstly you need to turn off your power in the flat - water dripping through your light fittings is not good. Get back upstairs and tell him that unless he calls out an emergency plumber you will.. and should the leak prove to be coming from his flat (which it will!) you will be claiming any costs from him via your insurance company. We claimed for a new carpet and having our hall and bedroom redecorated ? but the bloke upstairs was very reasonable about it and we just settled between ourselves...

• Smint
    Beginner June 2007
    Smint ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Ice Queen

I'd tell him that unless he arranges an emergency plumber to come out today, you'll be calling one yourself as it's coming through the light fitting and therefore very dangerous, and you'll let him know when the plumber arrives so he can be there for the "diagnosis"

It's at least given him the opportunity to arrange the plumber on his terms, but there's no way you should have to live with water coming through a light fitting

Hope you get it sorted!

• summer solstice
    Beginner June 2008
    summer solstice ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for getting to the end of my epic post!

I'm not sure how long to give him to arrange an emergency plumber on his terms before I go back up and say I'm not waiting anymore and will ring one of my own.

The safety aspect is really freaking me out - I don't want to even go in to that room today!

ebee - you mentioned insurance company - is a leak like that something that would go through the building insurance, or contents, the two are seperate as the building insurance covers the whole block, not just us and it's organised by the management company so if it's buildings insurance I'm probably going to have to go through them.

• T
    Tanta ·
    • Hide content

Does your management company have an emergency number? One point is that the longer this is left the more expensive it is likely to become for the upstairs person as the water spreads further through the electrics and more of your stuff gets damaged. Water could be leaking from a pipe behind the washing machine or a concealed pipe so lack of water upstairs is no sign that it isn't coming from there, which it will be. Is there a balcony positioned where blocked drainage would let water seep through to your bedroom ceiling?

• jaz
    Beginner
    jaz ·
    • Hide content

I think it would be buildings if it is a pipe that is part of the building iykwim but contents if it is the washing machine. Either way I'd go now and tell him you are calling an emergency plumber which you will be billing him for should the cause of the problem be from him. Then keep all records of conversations with him (even in a notebook) and receipts etc from the plumber should you need to claim off someone/insurance.

Is there something from the management company to outline what should be done in an emergency fromt he pov of the building?

• summer solstice
    Beginner June 2008
    summer solstice ·
    • Hide content

Tanta - Management company has no emergency number. I am worried that the longer it's left the more damage will be done - there is no water dripping at the minute, the fact that it's intermittent makes me think it's something to do with the drainage for his washing machine or dishwasher! There are no balconies in the building either that could be causing it.

Jaz - thanks for the info on the info on the insurance. I went up and he didn't answer his door when I knocked (I knocked solidly for about 5 minutes as I'm getting more and more annoyed!) The management company has no policies for what should be done in these circumstances which is why I'm in such a flap!

Jules thanks for the info on the powers of the management company - if he's not going to answer his door all day to me, I can see that being something that I might have to consider!

I just don't understand the guys logic - if it's damaging my ceiling the odds are it's doing damage to his floor - I'd be freaking out just as much in his shoes as I am in mine - not talking about getting some mate who fixes washing machines to look at it during the week!

• Bubbub
    Bubbub ·
    • Hide content

You have my utmost sympathy as I have been in a similar situation with the flat above mine for over a year now without resolution. If the flat is privately owned then the management company wont have powers to enter the flat without permission as its private property. I ended up having to contact the council's environmental health team who were great but it was a lengthy process to get a warrant to enter the property and the day before they were due to do it, the person who owned the flat above moved out the tenants and just switched off the water supply which meant the warrant couldnt be enforced as he had stopped the water leaking even though he hadnt resolved the cause of the leak. Im now stuck in a situation where he moves people in for short term leases, after a while the leak starts again and when the council start the process to force entry he moves them out again!

If the water leaking becomes more serious and the ceiling is in danger of collapse I was advised to call the police but mine was just a slow drip and they advised they would only get involved once the ceiling had actually fallen down.

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful but hope you find a resolution soon.

• N
    Beginner May 2024 Maharashtra
    Nilesh ·
    • Hide content

Hello.

I accidentally sent ETH from Meta mask to ETC on robinhood. I have been trying to recover it for weeks now. I succeeded when I reached out to support on; HACKRECOVERY [at] YANDEX [dot] RU and with their help I was able to recover my lost ETH. I never knew I had a chance to get it back. So happy !

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics