Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Light In The Box?!?! *FLASHES* or experience please?

19 September, 2012 at 08:40 Posted on Planning 0 17

I am sooo tempted to start looking for bridesmaid dresses on LITB. Not only because of the prices (I can not afford over £100 a dress) but they also have all the styles of chiffon dresses I want my 3 maids to be in. They even have a choice of colours in the same dress! (I am giving them a choice as I have lots of colours in my bouquet)

Does anyone have flashes or experience? I know all the reviews online on the LITB website, on Hitched and elsewhere in google are great but I would would like to hear it first hand.

Any advice would be great! Thank yoooou! xXx

17 replies

Latest activity by coolartist87, 20 September, 2012 at 19:14
  • W
    wiltshire flowers ·
    • Hide content

We are also very tempted to get our bridesmaid dresses from there, so we would also love to hear from anyone that has and what they were like......

• W
    wiltshire flowers ·
    • Hide content

We are also very tempted to get our bridesmaid dresses from there, so we would also love to hear from anyone that has and what they were like......

• E
    Beginner January 2013
    EThompson ·
    • Hide content

I ordered a dress, basically as a bit of a sample. I ordered somthing I could use as a Ball gown to check colour, fabric etc.

The fabric was as described (a matt satin) but the colour was a little bit off, not too much though. The sizing was a touch on the small side, and the fit was ok. It would have needed some alterations though as the straps were a bit long as was the hem. The quality was good enough to wear for the day, but I'm not sure how it would stand up to more than one outing!

By the time you had paid the tax on receipt of delivery (£28) the dress came in just under the price of a high street dress from say BHS. The BHS dresses are much better made and at least you can check sizing and colour.

If you are ordering more than one, I don't think I'd risk it.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

There are other ways to get dresses on a budget. I ordered mine from Rise Boutique and my girls loved them.

Also, try contacting some local seamstresses - as long as you're keen on a simple design, they should be able to make you something for not too much.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

The other thing is try Coast in the sale, they have loads of chiffon dresses and if you got there 1st thing boxing day or something you'd have the best choice for sizes etc! or try on n then order online as soon as the sale starts. They do loads of chiffon and most things come in different colours too! xxx

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    helzbelz200 ·
    • Hide content

My friend was a bridesmaid & her dress was ordered from LITB. She was one of 4 wearing same dress. She said the quality wasn't good, some of the dresses were unfinished. They didn't end up wearing them after all, they found other ones from coast. This story really put me off ordering from China.

Like you I want to find the under £100 and chiffon fabric. Try girlsofelegance.co.uk or sexyher.co.uk. Both sale cheap dresses and are UK based companies, which have showrooms, therefore much more reassuring.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Not light in the box or a dress but also from a China tailor I bought a boys suit off ebay for my sons prom. It was basically worth what it cost perfect for one days wear well finished but cheap material which wouldn't stand up to regular wear. I was happy enough as he got food all over it and won't need it again. Also outside of ebay there communication is VERY difficult.

I buy a lot from China and things are good if you can accept that you get what you pay for and may have to take the loss, returning goods isn't worth the cost and hassle. Customs isn't charged by the seller it is important to remember that on any goods coming in from China or the USA it is the UK customs agency that charges tax. The carrier does that on their behalf and it can be hit and miss. If they charge it the carrier always adds a handling fee of generally £10 to £15 on top of the 20% tax. UPS and some other carriers take COD so will take a cheque, Parcel force and royal mail send you a postcard asking you to pay online before delivery. But any parcel subject to a customs charge will take at least an extra week to get here unless its UPS as it spends about a wekk in this country while the customs is sorted ou.

• O
    Beginner January 2011
    onetwothree ·
    • Hide content

Just ordered some hair things so can't say anything about dresses - but I did get a discount code and 15% cashback with quidco, which covered the postage charge. Worth looking into - but I think the codes were due to expire at the end of the month!

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bwatts ·
    • Hide content

My mum ordered a christmas party dress last year from a similiar chinese website to LITB for about £50 and it looked stunning in the picture, but when it arrived it was in a tiny little packet all screwed up! The material looked fine from a distance but up close you could tell it was more primarni than armani! She didn't wear it in the end and got something from one of the department stores for about £80. IMO she would've been better off taking her £50 to a website like asos, which has a large variety like LITB but from well known, quality suppliers! They have hundreds of dresses that I would deem 'bridesmaid' style, including full length ones! Seriously considering sorting mine out with them.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Similar to asos but maybe have a look at boohoo.com x

• Trouble_gb
    Beginner September 2013
    Trouble_gb ·
    • Hide content

I had a dress made from LITB and I couldn't fault it.

It was custom fit so I sent my measurements and it fitted perfectly.

Everyone ( I wore it to a wedding) said how stunning it was and different.

I'm happy to send pictures if you send me your email address.

The delivery charge which was an extra £30.00 or so was a bit of a shock.

• mrsgreatbatch2b
    Beginner July 2012
    mrsgreatbatch2b ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine ordered her bridesmaid dresses from Light In The Box and liked what she recieved.

BUT

I have also heard quite a few horror stories regarding quality and sizing.

You just have to remember that you get what you pay for. Don't expect designer quality for high street prices.

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    coolartist87 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't order from light in the box, but I did order from a chinese dress makers called MyWeddingDressForLess - I brag them up all the time as I was so pleased with what I got. I couldn't afford high street prices... or at least couldn't stomach them, and refused to pay more than £1000 for a dress I would wear once. I did try on several "high street designs" to see what looked good, then found this amazing company that took one of THEIR designs and altered it to exactly what I wanted in just over 9 weeks.

I was amazed, and comparing the quality and finish to another chinese dress I had ordered from e-bay was laughable. The satin was of very high caliber, the whole thing was custom measurements and colours so I knew it was all hand made. The dress bodice was at least 3 layers thick with proper boning in the corset and they could not be faulted for their customer service.

I again would highly recommend them, mostly because all the dresses on their websites are their own designs, and not copies of designer dresses per say; something light in the box doesnt show you. They (and most other Chinese dress makers) will show designer dresses and their factory pics, and not show you what they actually produce, unlike MWDFL which only show their own samples.

I did order my bridesmaid dresses from e-bay as well, and while they were nice dresses, NOT the right sizes in custom orders (all on the small side) and the finish left something to be desired but a few alterations sorted them out. I also ordered a second wedding dress for the evening from another e-bay seller as I had mentioned as well, and that arrived too small, poor quality and NOT much like the picture at all; so, all things considered, MWDFL wins and they Do do bridesmaid dresses.

I'll attach a flash so you can see! Hope that helps!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics