Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2013

Little quirks for the evening do?

Moongel276, 15 June, 2012 at 14:25 Posted on Planning 0 39

Just looking for some ideas to make the reception and evening a little bit 'different'. So far i've toyed with the idea of chocolate fountain, fruit trees, sweetie table, candy floss and popcorn. None set in stone just playing around with prices etc at the mo. Can anyone give me some more ideas? Non food based welcome too.

39 replies

Latest activity by sarahjane82, 18 June, 2012 at 13:28
  • Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

How about an ice cream tricycle. or sweet trees

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

At risk of being controversial I would say that all the things you mentioned weren't quirky at all, but pretty commonplace at many weddings. I'd probably think "oh another sweetie table/choc fountain/photo booth".

I'd prefer a corking good DJ or live band and a wonderful atmosphere and lots of laughter. Not quirky, but that's what make a memorable wedding for me!

• MrsA2012
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsA2012 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a magician!! So excited as it's the one thing we haven't told anyone about.

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Moongel276 ·
    • Hide content

Oooo I like those ideas! What would the magician do? Card tricks etc? I like that!

I've never been to a wedding with any of them, then again I've only been for a handful of weddings

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Fair point, these things do seem to be quite common these days. However, I've only been to 3 weddings in the past 3 years and neither of them had any of the things you mentioned so although they might be done all the time, your guests might not have seen them!

We're going for a sweetie table, which yes i know has been done a million times, but I reckon 85% of our guests wont have seen one - and we like the idea so what the hell!

• stephanieeff
    Beginner July 2014
    stephanieeff ·
    • Hide content

For food Ideas I'd suggests a Cupcake Bar, a few different flavoured cupcakes already frosted, but with different toppings - Sprinkles, M&M's, jellybeans lol you get the idea! Can do the same with ice cream too. I do like the idea of old style popcorn and candy-floss carts, though.

You could hire a body artist/face painter, for the kids, they could get their faces done and the adults could get 'tattoos' we were toying with this idea as I'm quite heavily tattooed and I love the art so we were thinking of incorporating that into the reception as entertainment.

Depending on how you want the wedding to feel you could buy some inflatable novelties (caveman club, guitar, big hands, space hoppers etc) for your guests to 'battle' with. Board games, lawn games, Drinking games.. lol

Or theres 'street' magicians, you can hire arcade games, a caricaturist , endless possibilities!

• W
    Beginner August 2012
    waggamama ·
    • Hide content

The thing is, things like sweetie tables or photobooths are known to us because we've been researching this for about 18 months, but to people who aren't planning a wedding they won't seem common place, so I think they work for 'unusual'. We're having a dessert picnic table which will be decorated like a picnic, with posh finger food desserts, all set out in baskets on astroturf on the table.

We're also having a bouncy castle!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Picnic table sounds nice. There was a bouncy castle in the grounds of our reception venue (not our choice) and none of the guests went on it!

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

We had a rat pack singer who did a set as the evening guests were arriving. He also sang for me and my Dad to have a dance to "me and my shadow" (my dad used to sing that to get me sleep when I was little.) Not sure if thats quirky though... We just both really like Frank Sinatra/Dean Martin etc.

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sue250 ·
    • Hide content

We had an ice cream tricycle and it was fantastic, really popular, cost us £400

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if its been mentioned but how about a fun dress up box and photo booth?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

How about the male guests doing a mass striptease and lapdance for the groom?

Just us then....

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

We had giant garden games which were a luagh and broke the ice. But the best evening activity was our band. They were fantastic, got everyone up on the dance floor and gave us such a great athmosphere.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Can't remember where I read it (rob here) but someone s having someone do charactures. I think that would be pretty cool!

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

If I had the cash I'd get a great band.... or maybe a fun fair. My TOGs just done a wedding with a helter skelter! This couple also had a silent disco, outside...

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content

Whats a silent disco?!

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Okay, poorly worded explanation coming up: Everyone has headphones (usually wireless) and can listen to whatever you like. Everyone's dancing, but without the headphones the whole thing is silent.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do believe this might well fall under the terms quirky and unusual ! ?

• F
    Funky Ice ·
    • Hide content

Hi thanks for the recommendation mrsrawe2b :-)

We also offer ice sculptures and ice bars all of which we are able to personalise for your big day. A table plan set in ice is also a popular attraction for your reception?

Maybe freezing some pictures of you and your husband-to-be into a funky luge or some ice centre pieces. Email us on ****@********.**.** for more details or check out our website www.funkyice.co.uk

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Maybe it's just me but why are so many of these ideas more suitable for a childrens' party than a wedding? I'm not six years old and don't want to decorate cupcakes/eat jelly tots and fizzy cola bottles/ put sprinkles on ice creams...! I would defintely avoid this kind of "entertainment" if it was provided.

I rather prefer the idea of a wedding being a "grown up" occassion. ☹️

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Honestly AC- If you don't stop being bitchy about cupcake buffets I will tell the teacher!

As an aside- the striptease/lapdance fiasco at my wedding was not planned- I had expected a simple night of drinking dancing and bacon rolls.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Guess many of us must just be big kids at heart !

I'm having garden games not just so the kids have something to do but also because a few of us are quite childishly competitive so there will no doubt be a queue at the giant buzz wire with people trying to out do each other, I really wanted the buzzwire that had the helmet with it but thought people might not want there hair messed up on such a grown up occasion ?

Also having a chocolate fountain, while I'm sure my OH would happily feed me chocolate dipped strawberries on a stick (if I asked nicely) but I figure it's my wedding so I'll pay for a professional to do it ?

* keeps fingers crossed the fountain operator is a fine specimen of the male species *

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

I wanted a mechanical bull. Really wanted one.

What is funnier than competitive drunken men in suits on a mechanical bull clinging on for dear life?

H2B overruled it. ☹️

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhhhhh, that would be amazing!!

In terms of what we're doing, we're hosting a quiz between the ceremony and dinner; fiancé's brother and his ska band will then play a few numbers before the dancing starts.

• F
    Funky Ice ·
    • Hide content

Thats so nice to hear, thank you Smiley smile

Have you received a quote from us already, luges and sculptures aren't as expensive as people think!

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are having them as they are included in the package. What kind of games did you have?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

The thing is, we had a photobooth/choc fountain/garden games, but majority of the guests just wanted to talk/dance/watch others.

The most popular bit of our evening was the band

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

BAH Mini...is it wrong just to want to EAT the bleddy cupcakes then, and not to want to be part of making the wretched things???

PS For what is "bacon rolls" a euphemism?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well the spacehopper race was pretty funny.... ?

But in all honesty, if the things you want to do reflect you as a couple (we had dressing up stuff... we do that all the time!) then go for it. But if you are only doing it because you think you should then I wouldn't bother.

People entertain themselves at weddings.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

alas bacon rolls means just that. My wedding wasn't a totally sordid affair.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aw never mind!! ?

• essex_charlene
    Beginner September 2012
    essex_charlene ·
    • Hide content

We have a candy cart, chocolate fountain and ice cream van for the evening xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics