Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner August 2012

Lovely brides please read and give me your honest opinion xxx

P4eby, 9 May, 2011 at 16:39 Posted on Planning 0 17

Dear all lovely brides to be!

I am an experienced bridal stylist and am thinking of setting up an independant styling company.

Please can you give me your honest advice as to whether (budget dependant) you would factor this service into preparing for your big day and if you think it is a good idea.

I am looking into setting up a stylist service where I would help and advise brides to choose their dream gown. I would attend shop appointments to find the dress, fittings for you and the bridal party and also fit you into your, (and your bridal party) gown on the big day.

There would be different levels of packages dependant on what service you are looking for and I would assist you in all details of the gown and your "look" from the start to after the big event.

A lot of brides are not aware that bridal shops have targets to hit each month by managers, owners and designers so a lot would sway you to certain designers etc within the shop in order to make the sale more worthwhile and profitable.

I would be there to eliminate this and advise on the gown that is a brides dream dress and also what will work for your figure, budget, design ideas etc.

A meet would occur before we go looking for gowns together and also with your bridal party, to determine what style you are looking for, your designs, your budget, colours etc.

I can then guide to you to bridal boutiques that will hold the styles you are looking for, ones that are in budget and ones that I feel you should try as their dresses fit your personaility and your design ideas.

The service I would provide for the bride would be one of support and advice. It would not take away from the "fun" element of being there with your mum, bridesmaids etc and I know when to step back and when to be involved and give advice all the while listening to what everyone has to say and work with the bride and bridal party throughout the process.

Choosing a gown should be a memorable experience and one shared with loved ones, as well as having the support you need in order to ensure you have made the right choice!

It is a service based on my years of experience within the industry, and to help find the bride her dream gown whilst taking all of the stress out of doing this.

Please could you let me know your thoughts and feelings on this idea, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards and good luck for the future

P4eby xx

17 replies

Latest activity by Naboo, 10 May, 2011 at 09:06
  • G
    Beginner June 2012
    Ghana ·
    • Hide content

Sounds good but it would of course depend on the price!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Honestly? No, I wouldn't use such a service. Part of the whole experience is flicking through magazines and choosing the styles you like, then visiting different bridal shops with your mum/sister/BMs to see what suits you. The same goes for BM dresses. On teh day, my mum/BMs will help me into my dress.

That's not to say that others might not go for it.

Good luck.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like a great idea, especially for brides who live away from their families so would otherwise end up doing a lot of that stuff by themselves.

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry but it wouldnt be something i would consider.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS.

I wouldn't like the idea of a stranger helping me find my gown, or getting into it.

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

Me neither. Part of the wonderful wedding dress shopping experience for me was the look on my mum's face when I walked out wearing a wedding dress (even if it did'nt end up being the choosen one).

And i'm really looking forward to shopping with my girls for their dresses and bits.

For me it's the fact my mum and two girls are there for me every step of the way helping and offering advise.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I interpreted it as a similar sort of service to Doulas for pregnant ladies. They're not midwives, but they're experienced with pregnancy and birth related stuff, and basically you pay them to keep you company during the birth. Very, very popular for ladies who don't have any female relatives around them. I know a few people who've gone to Doulas when they've had their babies, and that is such an intensely personal experience that I imagine something comparable for wedding planning would reach out to the same sort of people. I don't see it taking off as the next biggest craze, but it could be handy for a certain demographic.

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

For me, half the fun was trying on some of the ugly dresses or dresses that looked awful on me until I finally found 'the one'. And I loved picking out my own dresses to try on. So I wouldn't have wanted to use a service like this. Though I'm sure there are brides who hate trying on a million dresses who might appreciate that kind of help.

What were you thinking of charging and what would the packages include exactly?

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm sorry wouldn't be for me either... Aas someone else said, I really enjoyed the whole researching different dresses and going off to try them on, and wouldn't really want someone limiting my choice of dresses because it theoretically suits or not, if you see what I mean. Also I found that the shop assistants were very knowledgeable with what suits and flatters different body shapes so its not something that I personally would pay extra for from someone else.

Can understand that it might help some people who don't like the whole experience though, but just not sure how large that number of people would actually be.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

It doesn't sound like something that I would do either - I am taking my two best friends with me (and a camera so I can send pics to my mum). For me its not just about the dress, its the whole experience that goes with it.

Tracey

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I think you would be flogging a dead horse IMO, the biggest and most exciting part of all the wedding planning is choosing the dress and it is such a personal experia ncehence why we generally shop with our nearest and dearest. I really cant see such a thing working.

• P
    Beginner August 2012
    P4eby ·
    • Hide content

Thank you ladies for your comments so far - they are much appreciated.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

It not something i would consider at all- and to be honest i'd have better things to with that money too

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

My guess is that it's along the same lines as the whole "wedding planner" thing.

Some people want to do everything themselves for their big day, therefore no "external services" are required.

Some people don't have the time, organisational ability or inclination to do all the "exciting bits" so they pay someone else to make all the arrangements for them

As others have said, there's probably a market for it (as there is for everything wedding related) it's just whether it's big enough to be your sole income if that's what you desire from it. After all, it's really no different than the service you should be getting in a decent dress shop, is it?

Ok we've all heard horror stories about "just trying on" dresses way beyond the budget or feeling like you "have" to buy something today to get a special deal even though you aren't sure it's what you want , but then isn't that why people take bridesmaids/mother/friend with them dress shopping in the first place?

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I can see where you are going with this and think there are people who would use this service but i donmt think that it would be a large proportion of brides. Cost will obviously play a huge part as for many people budgets are tight.

Personally i would not be interested in this service I know my own style and tastes and have very strong ideas about what I wanted and to be honest the feeling I have from using hitched is that the vast majority of brides do too

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics