Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hoddy
Beginner July 2014

Maggots in wheelie bin - help!

Hoddy, 30 of July of 2013 at 20:45 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

It must be all the hot weather we have been having, plus our bins only get collected fortnightly but I today found loads of wriggling maggots at the bottom of the bin. How did they even get in there? Anyone got any tips to get rid of them?

So grossed out by them!!!!

18 replies

Latest activity by MummyMoo82, 1 of August of 2013 at 07:45
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Flies can easily get in through a wheelie bin lid. Or there may have been eggs on something before it went in the bin.

When is next collection day? I'd stick bleach water in it then pour down the drain after they're dead.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

You can pour boiling salty water on them to kill them, I always worry about using bleach outside in case a cat walks in it and get poorly. (slightly over protective cat mummy)

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

It got collected yesterday so have to wait 2 weeks from then Smiley sad

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So is your bin currently devoid of bags? If so, I'd tip it on its side near a drain, then blast them out with a jet washer or hose (directing them down the drain). Then bleach the bin overnight.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

Do you have a pet?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*Wonders where this is going. Is OB going to suggest saving on cat food by feeding it maggots?*

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Boy has suggested that you leave them. They'll fly away soon. Didn't really think of that.

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

No it's much simpler than that! One of the main reason for getting maggots in the bin is putting the dog poo in there. Flies lay eggs on poo, hatch into maggots, maggots burrow out, eat rotten food, turn into flies, flies lay more eggs inside bin and then you end up in a vicious circle!

We have a separate poo bin, and never had a maggot in the big bin.

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

We had a horrible incident with maggots a couple of years ago in the summer. I had bought some cheap chicken from Asda (serves me right for scrimping! ) and it was gone off when we opened it. Not thinking that the bin wasn't being emptied for another couple if weeks, chucked it out. Had some friends over about a week later, they go to leave... And our entire driveway is a sea of maggots! Disgusting! I thought we were gona find a dead body stuffed in our bin! cue lots of boiling water later, they were down the drain!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately we don't have access to a jetwash or a hose....? Also yes I have two cats but their poo goes down the toilet not in bags. I'm always careful with meat and bag it up before it goes in the bin anyway. I just assume it is because of how long waste has to stay in the bin and with how hot it has been.

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I posted this the other day. Ours has dog poo, nappies, uneaten dog food, our uneaten/rotten food and goodness knows what else, so we get them. My mum gets them too, and she has no dog/Toddler and they have a compost bin and no real food waste (ours is mostly uneaten toddler food and dog food) and they still get maggots.

It's just one of the joys of hot weather / fortnightly collections. Friday is proper bin day this week, although *touch wood* no maggots so far thus week.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Phew I am glad it isn't just me being disgusting... This is our first place together so I worry I'm not doing it right at times like these! Thanks for all the advice Smiley smile

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Nah we've had them once or twice before too - always over summer. We have dog poo in ours but I don't care enough about maggots to faff with a different bin.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Wonder if fly spray would kill them if you spray inside the bin and shut the lid?

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It does, we did that to kill our maggots off. Cant wait for bin day so I can hose the bin down properly and make it smell less disgusting.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

We had this last year, I think hubs just chucked some washing up liquid and boiling water in it. Then we asked the local jet washery bin man on his little cart to do us a one-off job. Is there anyone round your way who could do that?

• Aardvark
    Beginner January 2012
    Aardvark ·
    • Hide content

Just leave the lid open and the birds will eat them. Or make son=me money by starting up a fishing bait company? (sorry not very helpful...)

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Eugh, you've just reminded me of the time that Dad left all his fishing maggots in the shed and the lid wasnt closed properly... ?

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2382034/Farm-432-machine-uses-maggots-grow-protein-home.html

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics