Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner June 2023 Gloucestershire

Maid of Honour Issue

Chanelle, 13 of July of 2021 at 16:26 Posted on Planning 0 11
HEY ALL 👋

Just wanted some advice regarding a problem I'm having with my maid of honour.
I got engaged last christmas and in my excitement I asked my best friend to be my maid of honour and she agreed.
We have booked our wedding date for Saturday 17th June 2023. My maid of honour came to visit Friday and revealed that she may not be able to attend the wedding at all due to work commitments. She then told me I would have to wait until June 2022 to find out whether she can make it and start planning with her.
I feel that she should of disclosed this information at the time I asked her & then I could of made alternative arrangements.
Do you think it would be unreasonable for me to change my maid of honour? ( due to her not being able to fully commit to her role & being unable to book holiday ).

11 replies

Latest activity by Tee1, 15 of July of 2021 at 23:42
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    Sack her off! What could she possibly have to do that’s so unmovable 2 years out? If she can’t prioritise one day for her best friend than maybe she isn’t…

I got married on Saturday - my MOH got pregnant in the interim and left her covid baby with family whilst coming to my wedding 7.5months pregnant. That is to say when people care they figure it out. Good luck x
  • Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t bother having her , she’s being ridiculous.
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    Oh completely get rid and get a more deserving MOH! Sorry to sound harsh but she’ll be giving her work more than enough notice of the date so I’m sure she could make more of a commitment than that!
  • C
    Beginner June 2023 Gloucestershire
    Chanelle ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you all for replying. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being hasty! I'm happy with my decision to ask someone else 😌 x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I would leave her out and pick someone who actually cares x💗 good luck x
  • C
    Beginner August 2021 West Midlands
    Cece ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

May we ask what industry she works in? is she in the army or something like that where she feels she may be deployed abroad? As I am struggling to understand why she would think she can't come because of work commitments or need to wait till next June to let you know her schedule? or maybe in the entertainment industry on a cruise ship for month at a time?

Other than those industries i don't understand her comments? But from your point of view, if there is a possibility of her not being able to be there I think its good that she told you this far in advance!

• Littlemy
    Dedicated April 2022 Kent
    Littlemy ·
    • Hide content
    In my opinion get rid!
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Whoa! Before everyone gets too carried away with character assassination on the MOH!!!

What kind of job does she do? It's quite common for companies to write into employment contracts that staff may not book annual leave during certain periods, and if those periods are around things like conferences or open days, then it's more than likely the dates for 2023 aren't finalised until 2022. It's also quite common for companies to book annual leave on a rota system, so that the same people don't always get first pick of holiday dates. So there may be very good reasons why she is unable to commit to a summer 2023 wedding a whole two years in advance.

Why do you need her to commit now? Ok, it wouldn't be sensible to buy her dress until you know she can come, but a year is heaps of time to find a bridesmaid dress, so as long as she can let you know by this time next year if she can come, I think you should just go with it.

• D
    Curious May 2023 Worcestershire
    Dandan ·
    • Hide content
    Seems strange that she wouldn’t be able to amend plans this far in advance but like others have said we don’t know what she does. If it were me I would maybe ‘demote’ her to bridesmaid. Explain you would love for her to be a part of your day If she can but you need someone you can rely on as your MOH as you’ll need their help x
  • Emma
    Rockstar August 2021 Wiltshire
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    I’m in 2 minds with this. With my job I would have to bid for your wedding off in September 2022 (though I would just go sick if I was rostered to work 🙊) is her job like this where you can’t guarantee time off until a certain point.
    Saying that though I’d also love to be asked but would be straight from the beginning. If I can’t guarantee the wedding off, how can I guarantee hen do/ dress shopping/ trials etc. I’d probably ask to be just a bridesmaid as I couldn’t give it 100%

If she has a ‘normal’ job and has never mentioned before about missing things due to work commitments then you definitely need to find a new MOH xx
  • Tee1
    Beginner March 2022 West Midlands
    Tee1 ·
    • Hide content

I tend to have backup always if one can't make it then got an alternative option and make sure another can commit fully and confirmed. Just don't need that stress on the day and eventually goes well. Good luck. Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics