Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bls14
Beginner September 2011

Marquee size help!

bls14, 25 of October of 2010 at 15:04 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hey i need advice on marquee size!! can anybody who has booked or has had their wedding in marquee help!?

We are having 100 day seated guests and then about another 50 in the evening, for a barn dance and buffet.

One company has quoted a marquee of 90 by 30 ft and another 40 by 40 ft!

Don't want the place to be crowded but dont want it to feel too huge and empty!

Also dont want to have to clear away too many tables for the evening.... any thoughts?!

thanks! Smiley smile x

6 replies

Latest activity by bls14, 5 of November of 2010 at 12:48
  • L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

I'm having the exact same problem! So far I've been quoted for 80 x 30' and 100 x 40', but this is for 150 people eating, with more coming for the evening. Still have 3 or 4 quotes left to come back so will see what they average out at ? Its so confusing though isn't it? Since requesting those quotes though we've had a hack down of the day list, so will have to get quotes all over again! Nightmare!

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

I had the same problem and the best way to work it out is to draw everything and see how it fits in the space.

I originally worked on square paper, until my fiance showed me how much easier it was to do it with Corel Draw

But make sure you add all the tables, chairs, extra tables like the cake table, present table, sweet table etc. Add extras like the bar.

See how they fit in the room, ensuring you leave enough space for the chair to be pulled out and for people to walk around.

I got the dimensions of the tables from the people I am hiring them from and used the Ikea catlogue to get the size of a chair.

Its really fun too! and makes it all more real.

• D
    Beginner
    Doodle ·
    • Hide content

We purchased our own and set them up, we had 6m x 6m one attached to a 4m x 12m one in a L shape.

We had 35 for the meal but there was loads of space - we could have probably seated that many in the 6m x 6m if we had been pushed. We had 60ish in the evening.

We had 4 tables so we left thoes up for the evening and it was more than enough.

Hope that helps

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

Hi folks thanks so much for responses - my bloody blackberry only just told me that you had responded so sorry for the delay!!

We have finally booked our marquee - have gone for 90 x 30 ft - its pretty large haha!!! but we are having a big space for dance floor as having a barn dance..

eeek so exciting now that i have booked! love the idea of drawing it all out - might do that anyway to get an idea of how to layout!!!

xxxx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Barn dances take up a lot more space than you think - I can't remember offhand what it was but we've booked a barn dance too and they suggested a space for a dancing area plus how much space they'd like for themselves - and it's nearly half our hall size!

Thankfully the function suite we've got has a divider down the middle so we should be able to fit everyone and everything separately in the "other half" of the room so they can set up whilst we do stuff in the bigger half then when they're ready the hotel staff can just slide back the partition and we're ready to roll.

• Finesse (HIB)
    Finesse (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

There are so many things to consider when planning a marquee wedding and size really does matter on this occasion!! It's definately better to have too much space than not enough and one area that is usually forgotten is the pre reception area. Hopefully the weather will be fantastic and your guests will be outside however if the weather is poor, your guests will need plenty of room to stand/sit in the 'bar area'. I always ensure this as well as having a 'reveal curtain' to divide the reception area off until your guests are called through and it doesn't spoil the wow factor. Then when your guests are sat down for the meal, I would maybe drop the curtain again and have staff/OTD co-ordinator arrange everything for the barn dance. That way it helps add elements to your day as opposed to it 'being in one place'. Food for thought!

HTH

Ruth

x

• bls14
    Beginner September 2011
    bls14 ·
    • Hide content

We went with 90 x 30 ft seems prety big!!

But at least should there be rain !!! then the dance floor area can be used as champagne reception area instread of out in the field!

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics