Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire

Matching Suits Problem

Hayley, 21 of July of 2022 at 19:15 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 8

We are not having a wedding party with official parents/MOH/BM roles so we are not having men in matching suits. At my Dad's request we showed him what suit my OH was wearing but we were clear that we didn't want people to match and for everyone to wear what they want instead. A few weeks later and my Dad has now bought his suit and we've realised it's the same one that OH also has on order. He says he bought it because he likes it rather than because it's what OH is wearing and has offered to wear something else if it's the exact same.

Now my OH is doubting whether he wants that suit or should change to avoid the awkwardness with telling my Dad not to wear his. OH is concerned that even if he changes the colour of his suit, the style and fabric will still be the same so people could tell it's the same suit.

We also worry that even if he doesn't wear this new suit to our wedding, my Dad could still wear it to future family events so OH feels like he could never wear the suit again for fear of them matching. I feel ok to tell my Dad that he can't wear that suit because it's what OH is wearing but I don't feel like I can tell him to return it so my OH could get future use out of his.

It took us so much searching to find this suit that OH and I both like, I don't want to start that all over again and potentially compromise on what OH will wear.

Do you think I can tell my Dad to return this suit or to just not wear it to our wedding or I can't say anything and OH will have to look again?

8 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 1 of August of 2022 at 22:20
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    To be totally honest with you I don’t get the issue here. We have no best man or groomsmen at my FH request and his dad is no longer with us so my FH and my dad are wearing exactly the same suit. Everything is the same, even the tie. They both look fantastic and we have no issue with it alt all. Not sure why a suit is such an issue personally as I would be flattered my dad chose the same one. It makes me feel that my FH and my dad are close and I think it’s a nice thing especially as my FH no longer has his dad around. Just my personal opinion- it’s only a suit!
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I agree with yorkshirelass 9n this one its nice to have matching even if you didnt but its only a suit and for one day x💗
  • H
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

It's like I don't want any female guest to wear a white dress so I feel special as the bride and this is his equivalent that he doesn't want any male guest to wear the same suit so he feels special as the groom. This is his day as well so why does only the bride get to look unique.

I agree matching suits can be nice at weddings but only if you are aiming for that and it's equal across the VIP men, like his Dad is going to be in his own suit.
  • H
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    I'll add that we are having a small wedding with only 11 adult men, so 2 of them in the same suit would be noticeable.
  • Karisma
    Savvy March 2023 Kent
    Karisma ·
    • Hide content
    As annoying as it is, I would try and find another suit for your OH. Because you told your dad you didn't want anyone matching and he still bought it, so if you tell him not to wear it, there will always be that slight chance he will still wear it. Besides if your OH wants to keep it for other occasions also it just better to find another one.
    Hopefully there will be another one you guys like
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I completely agree with this feeling, it is valid that the groom wants to stand out on his own wedding day.

I’d ask: is Dad aware that he’s ordered the same suit as Groom? If not, he may come to the conclusion himself to change it.
    If he is, I’d either kindly request he wear something else (depending on how you feel he would react) OR to tone down the similarities you could: - ask Dad not to wear the jacket (depending on how smart wedding is)- ask Dad to wear a different colour tie and shirt to groom- if it comes with a waistcoat, have only Groom wearing this part so he looks smarter than Dad, or one of them go for waistcoat and trousers and the other jacket and trousers
    Hope that helps a bit
  • P
    Beginner April 2022 South Yorkshire
    Pam ·
    • Hide content
    I would ask your dad to change the suit. He was told not to buy the same one and has ignored your wishes. There are plenty of other suits out there, I’m sure he can find another one he likes. It’s completely understandable that your fiancé wants to look unique to the other men on his wedding day.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

"...even if he doesn't wear this new suit to our wedding, my Dad could still wear it to future family events so OH feels like he could never wear the suit again for fear of them matching."

Seriously?!!! Is this suit bright purple or orange stripes? Because unless it's a really outrageous cut or colour, I don't think anyone will even notice.

I kind-of get the groom wanting to be unique on his wedding day - although unless he buys a bespoke suit, he is always risking someone else turning up in the same one, because, unlike wedding dresses which are only worn by the bride, suits are common wear for all men for any formal event. But to be stressing about turning up in the same suit at some future wedding or other event seems really bizarre. What's he going to do if someone other than your dad turns up in the same suit? Walk out? Demand they change? I'd just let dad wear the suit. If you don't want him & the groom to look identical then get him to wear a different shirt & tie. But to be honest, I don't think anyone is going to notice.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics