Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

goldpants
Beginner May 2014

May 2014 Brides :)

goldpants, 14 of May of 2013 at 10:23 Posted on Planning 0 340

Hi everyone, now that we are htting the one year mark (mine is tomorrow eeek!) I thought I would start this thread so we can all introduce ourseves and our weddings- chances are we will all be going through a lot of the same things at the same times and thought it would be great to share our experiences and support each other through the next year!

So yes hello I am Nikki! Me and my OH have been together now for 7 and a half years and he proposed (as my family and friends would say.. finally!) in february 2012 in mexico Smiley smile

We have done lots of planning so far, all of it very chilled out and no stresses yet......

Our wedding date is Thursday 15th May 2014.

We booked our venue last june, it is a beautiful barn with seperate room for our civil ceremony and accommodation for 60 guests as well. We live in Colchester, Essex and the venue is called Vaulty Manor in Maldon... I will do a seperate posts with all of our flashes together Smiley smile

On the morning of the wedding me my mum and best friend, moh and only bridesmaid Claire will be getting ready in the bridal suite. I've booked Dawn Taylor to do our hair and make up. Will flash my hair ideas seperately too.

The ceremony starts at 13:30. We're wanting it to be kept short and sweet so are not having readings. We are giving notice next week so hope to be a bit clearer about the ceremony soon. I will be walking down the aisle with my dad to Better Together (hawaiian slack key kings version) by Jack Johnson (on itunes if you want to listen) havent completely decided on the other songs yet. There will be 60 guests in the day.

Once the ceremony is over we are providing the prosecco and/or orange juice for the reception drinks, and will be having our photos here. Hopng for nice weather outside of course! Also having canapes. Our photographers are booked - it is a bit of a risk as our bidget was tight, they cost £500 for the whole day and are our age (27) with only about six weddings under there belt (more by next year) but check out the facebook page and you'll see why they won us over, the photos are gorgeous! We've met with them and also really like them too. We want our wedding to be casual with no airs and graces with our guests feeling comfortable and not on their best behaviours, so a chilled couple as our photographers works for us. Here is a link to some of their previous photos from another wedding

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.435756009793409.89096.185021771533502&type=3

So then it's food time! Everyone moves into the big barn room. We have sorted all the catering now too, met with them properly last week - We have booked the Aussie BBQ company and they are doing a big 5 ft chicken, chorizo and seafood paella, aussie steaks, aussie bangers, minted lamb kebabs and halloumi kebabs served with french bread, sauces and chutneys, mixed salad, potato salad and coleslaw. For dessert there is Triple chocolate mousse and fruit cheesecake.

http://www.aussiebbq.co.uk/pdfs/2013/FINALAussieBBQBuffetmenusMARCH2013.pdf

We are providing all our own wine (lots and lots, no rules per person) and having the speeches and toasts first before the meal (my OH has a small speech impediment snd wants the speeches out of the way asap)

We then have a bit of time time to fill and are thinking of doing a pub quiz (h2b is pub manager and it's quite 'us') but nothing set on that yet.

In the evening we will probably invite a further 40 guests ish and we ave booked a guitarist to sing live called Jamie Mcguire and he djs inbetweem we want sets of pop, rock and rnb and hip hop.

http://www.jamiemcguiremusician.co.uk/

We will be serving our cake in the evening on the bar along with a hog roast for our guests around 8:30.

I bought my dress last month too, it is White Rose R524 with a D'Zage belt for £1009.

Our flower ideas are daisies and gysophilia, we are meeting with a potential florist next week.

I've handmade all the save the date magnets and they are going out soon - they are in the colour theme for the wedding green and pinks.

I have bought some cheap little daisies from ebay and these will be tied in daisy chains around the beams in the venue.

I have bought small wicker baskets with candles for centrepieces which I will tie daisy chains round and am thinking maybe wood circles underneath.

Oooh and ordered my veil yesterday from Margaret, I am having a two tiered super soft tulle, elbow length veil with scalloped edges and thin pencil edge. It is costing me £41.28 including postage and a veil hanger. So far cannot reccommend her enough just hope it comes out how I imagine.

So the things left to sort now are:

* Rings (i'll flash some ideas below) going to go to Alba Rose first

* Shoes

* Honeymoon (I was very lucky and won a prize at work.. £5000 holiday vouchers with Thomson! hoping to book up soon, thinking of a safari then beach in mobasa kenya next july)

* BM dress

* Suits (leaving this to h2b so dont expect it anytime soon!!!)

* Make invitations

* Jewellery/ hair accessories/ underwear

* Buy wine/prosecco

* Gifts for family / bridal party

* Book hen do (got the time off work thinking a weekend in Valencia!) then another one local for family too.

There is probably loads more but so far feeling pretty organised Smiley smile

Cant wait to hear all about your weddings too Smiley smile Smiley smile happy planning!!!

340 replies

Latest activity by Italybride14, 15 of May of 2014 at 20:48
  • goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Venue

dress (me/model)

save the dates

hair ideas

cake ideas (style/colour)

flower ideas

venue flowers

daisy chain flowers

ring ideas

shoe ideas (night/day)

bm dress idea

• V
    Beginner May 2014
    VHGT ·
    • Hide content

Hi Goldpants!

Your wedding is the week before mine next year! We are Thursday 22nd May 2014!

So excited.....and it feels quite unreal thats its almost the 12month countdown! All your planning looks lovely so far...love the hairstyles think I might take a pinch of inspiration from them.

Our wedding is at a country house hotel only 2miles from home which we get exclusively for the day. (Not sure how to flash but will work it out for later!) SO we are hoping to get married in the garden (fingerscrossed for the scottish weather!) and then we will be having the meal in the house for about 60. The reception is in the onsite permanent marquee for around 120-130. During the day will be elegant & understated but night time is going to be PARTY TIME! :-)

We have booked an interfaith celebrant to carry out the ceremony so we can have whatever we want. Neither of us are particulary religous but I wouldnt say we are not either, so this give us the ability to incude any songs, readings, poems that we would like into the ceremony. Also considering a handfastening , OH is very keen and Im coming round to the idea the more I research it.

I have ordered my dress as well should be delivered July/August this year. Its a Jonathan James Couture - bella. There are no decent pics online of it though. Its huge! I never wanted a big dress but when I tried it on I knew. :-)

Also got the photographer, rings, hair, make-up, flowers & band booked.

Save the dates are being delivered today...nice photo magnets. So will posting them out by end of the month.

Next on the hit list is bridesmaid dresses......got a date with the girls at end of June so it will be dress shopping then boozy luch! lol xxx

• J
    Beginner January 2012
    joannag1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi girls Smiley smile

Me and my oh have been together 11 years and are only 26 and 27, we got together in school at 15 and 16 but also went primary school together so known each other since being 5 years old really. He proposed last June on the 1st night in our house wed bought so it was lovely and personal as none of us would like a public proposal.

Our wedding is Saturday 31st May at our local church we grew up at (were not really religious) then on to a Macdonald hotel & spa for wedding breakfast and evening reception were we will stay the night!

I will get ready with my mum and 5 bridesmaids at my mums house and leave from there to the church which is in same town then the venue is an half an hour drive away so get full use out of our cars we've booked. We are having 70-80 guests in day and around 140 at night.

So far we have booked:

Church, venue, photographer, videographer, chair covers, cars and I have my dress ordered.

I am currently getting samples for invites and going start looking at bridesmaid dresses next month.

I can't wait to hit the one year mark, I have had a cookie made in shape of a wedding cake saying one year to go for my oh! Its only so I can eat it really Smiley smile

Some people look at me like I'm mad for planning with over a year go and others understand its needed, we just bought a house so all our money was used on deposit so we are saving all over again. I am sending our fridge magnet save the dates out at the end of this month.

Happy planning x x

Love Joanna x x

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

VHGT I'm so jealous if your date, we wanted that thursday too but my mum and brother said they would both really struggle to get a day off that close to bank holiday off (both work at the same homebase) and I thught it was easier to please the masses lol!

I hadnt heard of handfastening until a thread came up about it on hitched recently, I think it sounds like a really nice idea and the pics looked great too!

I googled your dress and wow that is a big dress, looks sooo nice!! Also looks pretty expensive too which is of course a big compliment Smiley smile Here is a flash on your behalf - Is your dress this colour too? it's very pretty!

I think Bm dressing a boozy lunch sounds like a good plan, me and moh got smashed after my first trip to a bridal shop haha!

• V
    Beginner May 2014
    VHGT ·
    • Hide content

Yes thats my dress! :-) Mines Ivory though...thats the "model sample" seemingly made up in blue to be different. It was £1,500.00 so the dearest one in the shop & blew my budget lol! But I just loved it! Have also ordered it in a size too small so on a major fitness kick! lol!

We went for Thursday because a) it meant we can negotiate with suppliers more & b) we are having a minimoon over the weekend in Arran.

xxx

• V
    Beginner May 2014
    VHGT ·
    • Hide content

Oh yeah...I might not be having the bow on shoulder.....its getting made up seperate so I can decide what to do with it! lol! x

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsHook ·
    • Hide content

Hello Nikki & everyone else!

Lovely to hear about everyone else's plans! I am also getting married in May 2014, my date is Saturday 3rd (the 1 year mark already pasted - eek!) ? We got engaged on my birthday in Rome last year, after 4 1/2 years together ?

The church and wedding venue are booked, and i have my save the dates ready to send out. I am also thinking about green/pink tones (love the bridesmaid dresses you posted!) but thats all i have really done at this stage! I do have lots of ideas, just where to start?!! You all sound very organised, which is fab, i need to get planning!!

Happy Planning! xxx

• H
    HW7 ·
    • Hide content

My wedding is set for May 10th and all I have done so far is propose and book a venue. There's a lot of talk about booking other things (namely Jeff Ascough, who we cannot afford), but no action yet. I think we're both trying to chill out and not get too wrapped up in wedding stuff, but maybe we're going to turn up on the day and have nothing because of it. Looks like we're really behind compared to everyone here, but I can't say I'm too concerned at this point.

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

Hello! May 4 2014 ?

Booked church, reception venue, string quartet, child minder, TOG (Marianne!) car, flowers, hair and MUA, got my dress and hopefully the bridemaids dresses sorted, got their jewellery and my hair flower sorted, honeymoon all but booked as too far in advance to book hotels! DJ sorted save the dates sent out and invited being made by OH's nana, as well as orders of service, booked in for OH, best man and my gramps for their suits and I've probably forgotten something but I feel pretty organised!

ooh venue dresser booked too :-)

looking forward to seeing all your plans!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Our wedding is booked for 3rd May 2014 and so far we're fairly organised!

We have booked:

The registrar

Our Venue - The Hunsbury Hill Centre in Northampton

Our transport - 2 x VW Camper vans

a band

my dress

3 x flower girls dresses

1 x bridesmaids dress

button bouquets for myself and adult bridesmaid

caterer

photographer

and started on making our venue decorations

choosing cakes is our next mission! and then onto the suits for groom, best man and 3 x pageboys.

I've done quite a few flashes recently so will give you all a break for now

• P
    Beginner May 2014
    Pink&Blue ·
    • Hide content

Hi there! *waves*

This is only my second post on the forum, although I've been a member for a few months now... Mainly lurking! :-)

My fiancé and I have been together for just over 7 years and have two little ones together Smiley smile He proposed on my birthday, December 24th 2011.. So we've had a slightly longer engagement, our wedding date is set.. Friday 16th May 2014 (so a year tomorrow, eeeek)

So far we have booked:

*Church (where our children were christened)

*Reception Venue

*Photographer

*Transport

*Currently making save the dates

I also went wedding dress shopping for the first time yesterday.. Didn't find anything that felt remotely like 'The One' but did come across a bridesmaid dress for my sister (only adult bridesmaid) that was PERFECT, fit like a glove and rather amazingly happened to be on sale at £50 down from £220! *happydance*

It all of a sudden feels like a wedding is going to happen now, whereas before it felt like I was planning a fairytale... Reaching the year mark is definitely exciting/nerve wracking and has made me feel like I need more time to plan! Smiley laugh

xxxx

• Platinum17514
    Beginner May 2014
    Platinum17514 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya girls!

I'm 17th May 2014! I don't know what to do next Smiley sad I really want to get back into it like I was at first but seem stuck now! xxx

• countrebeckular
    Beginner May 2014
    countrebeckular ·
    • Hide content

Hi Everyone

All your plans look fantastic.

I've been with my OH for 4 and a half years and we got engaged Christmas Day 2012. We have our date set for 31st May 2014 which is also my 31st birthday! This wasn't the original plan, but the venue double booked us on the 24th so we had to change. They are giving us free champagne as compensation though so i'm not too bothered.

Our venue is a Masonic lodge which is a lovely Georgian building in Surbiton. We are having a sit down meal, but yet to decided on what menu to choose. One of my bridesmaids is in a band so they are playing at the reception, followed by a DJ. The wedding cake is a tower of cheese, and there will also be a birthday cake which will be a 'naked' cake (not keen on icing).

We have the photographer booked and I have bought the dress which is Felicia by Amanda Wyatt.

The bridesmaids are picking their own dresses. They can pick any style and any shade of blue. I don't care what they wear as long as they are comfortable. The flowers are going to be sunflowers and my aunt is doing them for us.

My future step MIL is doing the table center pieces. She's an artisit and is creating altered books for each table in a different theme. (Google 'altered books' and you will see what I mean).

My OH is doing all the invites, STDs, suits, hotel, transport although I will have a say. He's been as equally as involved in everything as I have which is really great and is making the whole planning a fun experience for the both of us.

We still need to;

• book the registrar - can't do this until 1 year in advance. Our registrar has very limited slots which go quickly so we have to go there on 31st this year at 8:15am to ensure we get one.
    • send out STDs
    • choose rings
    • gifts for the bridal party
    • choose the menu (will wait for the tasting)
    • shoes
    • suits
    • honeymoon
    • there is other stuff, but that's the main things.

I look forward to seeing how we all progress over the next year.

• Mrs Potato Head 2 Be
    Beginner May 2014
    Mrs Potato Head 2 Be ·
    • Hide content

Hello im a May 2014 Bride, the 10th. Loving the things that i have seen. You all seem super organised. OOH Platinum im looking for a brides group on facebook, not read great things about the other ones so i hope you dont mind if i pop on over?! I need inspiration and a kick up the bottom!!

• Platinum17514
    Beginner May 2014
    Platinum17514 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nah babe more the merrier !! xx

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone!

Love that there's a May 2014 thread now - been seeing other months and have been hoping to spot a May one!Haha!

Our date is 10 May 2014 (I see I have some date twins) Goldpants - I'm in Essex too - getting married not far from Colchester in fact (haven't said my venue on here yet though). My OH proposed in January after six years together ' and we gave notice at the registrar's office yesterday - very exciting and makes it feel more real!!

So far we have venue, caterers, TOG, dress and a collection of brooches for my bouquet ? Everything else I'm going to look into in the autumn and chill out over summer (other than the honeymoon - we're hoping to sort that soon!)

• V
    Beginner May 2014
    VHGT ·
    • Hide content

Great to see everyone plans are coming along nicely! I would rather be organised then be able to sit back & relax lol!

Got an appointment with our cake supplier next Wednesady (exactly a year before the big day) and also meeting our photographer at venue so we can see the gardens as they will be next year for us! (hopefully). Another thing ticked off the list!

V x

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Great stuff ladies! Yesterday was our year mark, weather was horrific!!!! But today is thursday and so technically it's a year today haha and the sun is out!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsHook ·
    • Hide content

Ah scully82 a date twin! It sounds like we are around the same level with planning, so that is good news ?

Lets pray for sunshine everyday of May 2014!!! ?

• L
    Beginner May 2014
    Lily70 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Our wedding is 24 May 2014 in near Colchester, Essex. Last year, after 18 years together we decided to get married so found a venue and booked it! by then we'll have been together 20 years so a good time to get married. We have two boys, my eldest is giving me away.

So far we've booked the venue and the dj, florist, bought (2) dresses - panic bought the first one god knows why its now on ebay... bought another dress that's being made but I can't wait until July when I see it and it hopefully fits me, got four bridesmaids, chose their dresses so I'd have a colour scheme to go on, booked VOG and TOG and seeing registrar next Friday. Think it's enough for now.

I thought last September that we'd have lots of time and not to worry about anything but it really does come around quick. Next Friday we'll hit the one year mark, round about this time I'll start to become neurotic!!!

Happy planning girls

Lily,

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Ooh Lily we might be getting married at the same venue - if not very close to each other! My venue's near colchester too!

• L
    Beginner May 2014
    Lily70 ·
    • Hide content

Dreamcatchme where are you getting married? We're Earls Colne.

Lily

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Not the same place but quite close!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    msmt ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone. This is my first post.

We are getting married on thursday may 1st 2014.

Ours is very intimate with only about 25 of us there in total. We are getting married in the registry office, then we are going for a meal in our favourite reasturant. We have the sole use of the top room, it has amazing views that overlook the beach.

So far have booked

registry office

reception

dress chosen and deposit paid

photographer booked

MUA booked

I am glad to hear more people have lots more organised than me! Was feeling a bit like i had done too much .

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    msmt ·
    • Hide content

Oh and cake! My grandma is making that, she is also doing our invitations ❤️

• I
    Beginner May 2014
    Izzysaurus ·
    • Hide content

I have to say I'm impressed at how organised everybody seems to be. My date is May 31st, so still just over a year away, and other than booking the venue and starting to do save the dates, I haven't done anything. I live in Amsterdam but am getting married in London, so I feel like there isn't much I can do from here. Will probably end up going to the UK for a week or so and try to do everything in one big panic!

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

Yay finally a May group! I'm 29th May! We're marrying in Italy with approximately 30 guests. All very relaxed and romantic! We've booked the venue, ordered my dress and sent invites in February! We've just come back from our venue and think we've found a photographer! Now I'm just waiting for it to be less than a year!

• ebarton24
    Beginner May 2014
    ebarton24 ·
    • Hide content

Hi All May Brides!! (And grooms!)

The Date is 17th May 2014! can’t wait! we have been together for 4 years!

o We have designed our own invites etc and done our guest list so waiting until New Year to send them out!

o Venue is Northcote Manor in North Devon https://northcotemanor.co.uk/

o 60 people during the day and between 150-200 in the evening

o sit down 3 course meal and hog roast for evening

o Going for a relaxed casual day - nothing formal.

o Still trying on dresses - not enjoying it if I’m honest! Loving Sottero and Midgley Celeste but still to try it on! http://www.sotteroandmidgley.com/dress.aspx?style=711533&page=0&pageSize=36&keywordText=&keywordType=All

o Lost 2 stone so far - thinking another stone and a half to go - would like to get to a size 10-12 ideally but we will see!

o Bridesmaid/maid of honour dresses still to get. MOH: https://www.coastfashion.com/womens/dresses/maxi-dresses OR https://www.coastfashion.com/womens/dresses OR https://www.next.co.uk/x51110s1 bridesmaid: https://uk.monsoon.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/mon_3,mon_3.3,mon_3.3.3/3581242626

o men’s suits still to get https://www.johnlewis.com/paul-costelloe-sharkskin-suit-grey/p373882

o Gifts o Have no idea what the table decorations will be yet....

o Need to book photographer

o Need to sort flowers

o Cake - we are having a "cheese" wedding cake as we love cheese!

o Sorted out food

o Sorted out first dance song

o Honeymoon to sort still....

Oh my! Still lots to do when i look at my list! best start getting some of them ticked off!!! XX

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Hi May brides, as it's coming up to the 9 month mark for us, I thought I'd bump this post to see how everyone's doing with the plans and for any other May 2014 brides to join in!

It's gone very quickly for me since the year mark but haven't really done much more in terms of wedding organisation other than buying my shoes ?. There is stil loads to go but I keep thinking I've got ages so have slowed down.

Our big priority now is to get the honeymoon sorted! How is everyone else doing?

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    msmt ·
    • Hide content

I haven't planned much more really. It all seems so far away still. In fact only recent things have been planning the buttonholes and booking our honeymoon.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Glad I'm not the only one who hasn't really done too much more :-)

• BrownEyedGal
    Beginner May 2014
    BrownEyedGal ·
    • Hide content

Hi! We're getting married on 4th May. Can't wait! It's going so fast!

We organised a lot of it when we first got engaged last September/October so for the past few months we've had nothing to do!

The honeymoon is something we're struggling to decide on though. What are everyone else's plans, could do with some inspiration! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics