Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

goldpants
Beginner May 2014

May 2014 Brides :)

goldpants, 14 of May of 2013 at 10:23

Posted on Planning 340

Hi everyone, now that we are htting the one year mark (mine is tomorrow eeek!) I thought I would start this thread so we can all introduce ourseves and our weddings- chances are we will all be going through a lot of the same things at the same times and thought it would be great to share our...

Hi everyone, now that we are htting the one year mark (mine is tomorrow eeek!) I thought I would start this thread so we can all introduce ourseves and our weddings- chances are we will all be going through a lot of the same things at the same times and thought it would be great to share our experiences and support each other through the next year!

So yes hello I am Nikki! Me and my OH have been together now for 7 and a half years and he proposed (as my family and friends would say.. finally!) in february 2012 in mexico Smiley smile

We have done lots of planning so far, all of it very chilled out and no stresses yet......

Our wedding date is Thursday 15th May 2014.

We booked our venue last june, it is a beautiful barn with seperate room for our civil ceremony and accommodation for 60 guests as well. We live in Colchester, Essex and the venue is called Vaulty Manor in Maldon... I will do a seperate posts with all of our flashes together Smiley smile

On the morning of the wedding me my mum and best friend, moh and only bridesmaid Claire will be getting ready in the bridal suite. I've booked Dawn Taylor to do our hair and make up. Will flash my hair ideas seperately too.

The ceremony starts at 13:30. We're wanting it to be kept short and sweet so are not having readings. We are giving notice next week so hope to be a bit clearer about the ceremony soon. I will be walking down the aisle with my dad to Better Together (hawaiian slack key kings version) by Jack Johnson (on itunes if you want to listen) havent completely decided on the other songs yet. There will be 60 guests in the day.

Once the ceremony is over we are providing the prosecco and/or orange juice for the reception drinks, and will be having our photos here. Hopng for nice weather outside of course! Also having canapes. Our photographers are booked - it is a bit of a risk as our bidget was tight, they cost £500 for the whole day and are our age (27) with only about six weddings under there belt (more by next year) but check out the facebook page and you'll see why they won us over, the photos are gorgeous! We've met with them and also really like them too. We want our wedding to be casual with no airs and graces with our guests feeling comfortable and not on their best behaviours, so a chilled couple as our photographers works for us. Here is a link to some of their previous photos from another wedding

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.435756009793409.89096.185021771533502&type=3

So then it's food time! Everyone moves into the big barn room. We have sorted all the catering now too, met with them properly last week - We have booked the Aussie BBQ company and they are doing a big 5 ft chicken, chorizo and seafood paella, aussie steaks, aussie bangers, minted lamb kebabs and halloumi kebabs served with french bread, sauces and chutneys, mixed salad, potato salad and coleslaw. For dessert there is Triple chocolate mousse and fruit cheesecake.

http://www.aussiebbq.co.uk/pdfs/2013/FINALAussieBBQBuffetmenusMARCH2013.pdf

We are providing all our own wine (lots and lots, no rules per person) and having the speeches and toasts first before the meal (my OH has a small speech impediment snd wants the speeches out of the way asap)

We then have a bit of time time to fill and are thinking of doing a pub quiz (h2b is pub manager and it's quite 'us') but nothing set on that yet.

In the evening we will probably invite a further 40 guests ish and we ave booked a guitarist to sing live called Jamie Mcguire and he djs inbetweem we want sets of pop, rock and rnb and hip hop.

http://www.jamiemcguiremusician.co.uk/

We will be serving our cake in the evening on the bar along with a hog roast for our guests around 8:30.

I bought my dress last month too, it is White Rose R524 with a D'Zage belt for £1009.

Our flower ideas are daisies and gysophilia, we are meeting with a potential florist next week.

I've handmade all the save the date magnets and they are going out soon - they are in the colour theme for the wedding green and pinks.

I have bought some cheap little daisies from ebay and these will be tied in daisy chains around the beams in the venue.

I have bought small wicker baskets with candles for centrepieces which I will tie daisy chains round and am thinking maybe wood circles underneath.

Oooh and ordered my veil yesterday from Margaret, I am having a two tiered super soft tulle, elbow length veil with scalloped edges and thin pencil edge. It is costing me £41.28 including postage and a veil hanger. So far cannot reccommend her enough just hope it comes out how I imagine.

So the things left to sort now are:

* Rings (i'll flash some ideas below) going to go to Alba Rose first

* Shoes

* Honeymoon (I was very lucky and won a prize at work.. £5000 holiday vouchers with Thomson! hoping to book up soon, thinking of a safari then beach in mobasa kenya next july)

* BM dress

* Suits (leaving this to h2b so dont expect it anytime soon!!!)

* Make invitations

* Jewellery/ hair accessories/ underwear

* Buy wine/prosecco

* Gifts for family / bridal party

* Book hen do (got the time off work thinking a weekend in Valencia!) then another one local for family too.

There is probably loads more but so far feeling pretty organised Smiley smile

Cant wait to hear all about your weddings too Smiley smile Smiley smile happy planning!!!

340 replies

• Lainey13
    Beginner May 2014
    Lainey13 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Alabastmasta. My H2B had to plan his proposal 3 times before he got it right. Not him as such but because the engagement ring wasnt ready in time. So am curious, did your H2B propose first then sort later or are you a modern woman and arranged your wedding first before the engagement ring lol.

We saved money on our invites. We have odrered the 'day do'invites from a local shop who hand makes them (have got a cheque book style with menu and rsvp included) and bought the evening invites 'off the shelf'.

Alice in Wonderland ...how exciting....wish I was brave enough to have a theme but I'm playing it safe and just doing traditional. Cant wait to hear how your theme works.

• E
    Beginner May 2014
    emzyuk ·
    • Hide content

I also get married on the 24th May, it is 5 years to the day that we got together, we are getting married in a place called Swancar Farm Country house in Trowell Nottinghamshire.

I have booked everything for our wedding just need bits and bobs and I just need to order the bridesmaid dresses and then thats it (i know what they as tried them all on but there was 1 or 2 dieting so saved it till last).

I was thinking of sending the invites out after Christmas do you think thats too late? i looked in my wedding planner and it said 3-4 months before but i think thats pushing it. I might as some of you said send them before Xmas..

I am having all pastel colours to make it vintage/shabby chic wedding so i have 6 bridesmaids, one in lemon, one in peach, one in pink and one in light green. with my 2 little ones in a blush colour.

I am so excited and can not wait, jus need to get the bits and bobs i need such as random hearts to hang from the beams and favour boxes etc..

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hiya Smiley smile
    I'm a jeweller, so the ring was always going to be something I'd have a heavy hand in; there was no point him spending 3 times the money on something that I could get it for!
    He asked if I could recommend some stones for 'a friend who has a gf with very similar taste' to me, so I just asked him his budget, brought home a bunch of diamonds I borrowed for us to pick one from - who says romance is dead! Smiley tongue

Then I had to 'forget' about it, and he proposed with the diamond on my birthday Smiley smile

I always recommend if a guy is buying a ring for their partner that they propose with a stone, then they can both have an input into the design of the finished ring - I prefer it when everyone gets to put their mark on the piece Smiley smile

And yep - I'm so excited by the prospect of an Alice wedding! It came about as I have a dislike for marquees, but have ended up at a venue with one and I needed a way to make that work for me - so Alice it is! With ferns, teacup chandeliers, playing cards, clocks and general odd things it is!......I hope anyway! Smiley laugh

And I had a Mad Hatter's Tea Party birthday where I announced I was pregnant so it has special sentiments for me and OH. Although I have to admit, he's not as into the idea as I am - yet! Smiley tongue

• Lainey13
    Beginner May 2014
    Lainey13 ·
    • Hide content

Your ring sound sooooo romantic and soooo practical ....a woman after my own heart.

We went in the local jewellers and I gave strict guidlines as to the style and setting of my ring and it had to be platinum. All my H2B had to decide upon was the size of the diamond. He got it perfect, thankfully lol

I'm having ...sorry WE are having a choir at the church (I sing in the school chapel choir staff and kids). I want to have singing before I turn up but my H2B thinks it will be bad manners to chat while waiting for the bride if the choir are singing. I think he is talking rubbish as they are singing while we sign the registers and wouldnt expect the guests to be silent. So I just avoid the topic and it will be too late for him to complain on the day. Men just need help seeing the bigger picture ?

I think your Alice theme sounds amazing, quirky with just enough normal to be fun and make people smile and go awww.

A bump .....wow....you are getting it all. The tops of mountains have significance for us but I dont think bringing half of the Lake district into the venue would go down well so we are hoping to have as many outdoor photos as possible ?

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Aw, thanks Smiley smile

Yes - bump will be a nearly THREE year old flower girl by then! Probably with her pirate sword and stinky bunny toy she won't go anywhere without! Smiley tongue

You should make a mountain backdrop for your venue! Would be ace!

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

God alabasta I am waiting with baited breath for proper details about your day!!! It all sounds soamazing can't wait to see what you do with it!

Emzyuk, your bridesmaid colours sound gorgeous! Cant wait to see these!! I orginally wanted pastels but only have one bridesmaid so settled on pastel pink and green.

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha! No pressure then! Smiley tongue
    I have a feeling my budget won't stretch as far as my imagination, but I'm gonna give it a damn good try! Smiley laugh

• Lainey13
    Beginner May 2014
    Lainey13 ·
    • Hide content

Opps sorry Id read bump on way but she already here lol.its a wonderful age, the world is so exciting for them....My granddaughter will be 3 days off being 3 when we get married. Im just hoping she potty trained by then lol I think a pirate sword would look wonderful, tie a ribbon round it and hey presto ?. Ive decided whatever my granddaughter does will be cute so am just going to go with the flow lol We can compare notes afterwards lol

A mountain backdrop ...now theres an idea ? We are having a pre wedding photo shoot (a few weeks before I think) where we are hoping to get up to the langdales and have some photos taken. That way we can include a few mountains and the dog. We also ...well I do ....like doing 'snow angels' in the snow of course (had lots round here last few years)and am trying to talk H2B into doing a funny photo on the day of him and me on the grass doing head to head snow (sorry grass) angels. H2B not so sure, said my dress may get mucky ?

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Alabastamasta - Alice in wonderland theme sounds incredible!

Icklefee - have you booked your honeymoon? I know before it was one of the few things still on your to do list, if so, where are you going?

I'm still not really further than I was at the year mark (other than sorting the honeymoon) I really need to stop dithering and pinning 100 things on pinterest and start making some actual decisions!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Yes! Honeymoon is booked. We're off to a spa hotel in Lanzarote for a week. Not exotic but it's the first holiday H2B and I will have had as a couple so we're rather excited.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh sounds great - lanzarote is really lovely

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, we can compare loony child notes! Smiley laugh I have 2 FGs under 3, one who will be 6 and another half a dozen or so who will just be at the wedding - happy pandemonium!

I'm all for putting random things in places they shouldn't be - I'm trying to put a woodland inside a marquee, so I'm possibly not the best person's advice to take, haha!

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hope I can pull it all together! Need to start talking to garden centres about hiring plants....
    And I too am addicted to Pintrest. Mainly loads of secret boards of surprises CAN'T STOP PINNING!!

• Lainey13
    Beginner May 2014
    Lainey13 ·
    • Hide content

Hi May brides. Is it just me or is the excitement building for other May brides?. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

I have to stop myself talking about it with anyone who will listen ?. As I have almost everything already organised I've nothing to keep me sane.

So I'm being pro active (that and the fact my family may gag me if I talk about plans for the big day any more)

Ive joined a choir and enrolled on a GSCE Maths course (they didnt have these modern qualifications when I was at school lol).

I'm hoping ...or rather my H2B is hoping that (his words) "the maths will keep your brain occupied and the singing will give your mouth something to do"️?️

Is anyone else feeling the excitement? How do you cope? ?

Or am I just a little kid at heart lol

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I'm the exact opposite Lainey13 - I feel like the parent at Christmas who still has tons to organise and buy, the shops are running out fast and I'm running out of money!? I think once I get a bit more done I might feel better but I'm not excited yet! I'm excited about the honeymoon though!

• Lainey13
    Beginner May 2014
    Lainey13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So it is just me then lol

Maybe we should share the enthusasim between us lol

I always knew I liked organising things but this wedding has brought out the organising diva in me. from the moment the ring was on my finger I had it all planned. All ive done since is hone my ideas.

In a small way I envy you ? You still have it all to come ...me ....Ive almost done and I just spend the days counting down until its time to do my next thing on the list. I think Ive become obsessed ?

As for the honeymoon .. completely understand ? lol... money bit tight for us so we doing honeymoon in 2015 (staying at the venue night of the wedding) We going to tie a late honeymoon in with our 1st anniversary and OH 40th ....so I get to organise something all over again ...wow life is good ?

Once you get started am sure you will be as excited as I am ....just more grown up about it lol

• T
    Beginner May 2014
    traleegirl ·
    • Hide content

Hello

May 3rd here too! Second time around for both of us, but still as exciting!!

So far we have booked the registry office for early morning, our Humanist Celebrant for the 'real' wedding in the afternoon, marquee, drinks suppliers, caterer, photographer and band.

We are looking at the invitations at the weekend and plan on sending 'save the dates' at the beginning of January.

I ordered my dress on Saturday and my veil from Pink Margaret and also have my niece flying over from Ireland at the end of the month so bridesmaids dresses can be sorted.

So far everything seems to be under control....?

• G
    Beginner May 2014
    GaynorA ·
    • Hide content

I'm feeling the excitement at the moment as I ordered my dress a week last Saturday, went bridesmaid dress this Saturday and we ordered a car on Sunday Smiley smile we only set a date 3 weeks ago so we've had to get organised fairly quickly and have loads still to do, but it's all starting to feel very real now Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner May 2014
    Amora Nail & Beauty ·
    • Hide content

Hi All,

Can I join....I'm getting married on 24th May 2014 and feel very unorganised

• E
    Beginner May 2014
    emzyuk ·
    • Hide content

Same date as me :-) good old bank holiday weekend..

Are you getting married local or abroad.. X

• E
    Beginner May 2014
    emzyuk ·
    • Hide content

Anyone know and videographers in the Derbyshire area?? Xx

• D
    Beginner May 2014
    Daisydoll-Lea ·
    • Hide content

Hey all!

We are getting married on the 30th May 2014! Really starting to close in on us now, which is great cos I feel like I've been waiting an age!! Set the date in October last year so I have had plenty of time to deliberate every tiny detail and I have loved every second but defo ready to get the show on eh road now!!

• A
    Beginner May 2014
    Amora Nail & Beauty ·
    • Hide content

It's in Buckinghamshire, so not local to me but is where I grew up. Feel so unorganised though.

• J
    Beginner January 2012
    joannag1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Girls

I am 31ST May bride- was booked in July 2012 so its flown by Smiley smile We had bad news in June this year that my dad had 6-12 months to live but he was determined he would fight and live longer for my wedding and to walk me down the aisle- he didnt want me to move it forward as it was my day and my date he said so he would use that date to keep going! Anyway yesturday went to see his consultant and hes not out of the woods BUT the cancer has shruunk dramatically (said only 3rd person in 10 years he seen it happen too) so as long as he keeps going that way then everything crossed he will still be here and rather fit under the circumstances Smiley smile we have to take it month by month as they said it wil come back with avengence we just dont know if thats in 3 months or 3 years. When we got out of hospital yesturday me dad said so lets get planning this weekend Smiley smile ha! (even though im very organised so everything is already booked). Looking up for now anyway Smiley smile Happy planning ladies.

Just put deposit down today on a Toastamaster xx

• V
    Beginner May 2014
    VHGT ·
    • Hide content

Delighted to hear you have had good news! I am sure your day will be fantastic!

Wishing you all the luck in the world to both you & your Dad! xxx

It is scary how close May 2014 is coming! Feel wedding brain coming on! x

• MrsBeckiW
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsBeckiW ·
    • Hide content

joannag1 I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you Dad. I bet he'll enjoy planning it with you so much. Mine definitely is!
    Our venue is having an open day this Sunday and we are taking my Mum, dad and sister to see it. It makes me nervous that we wont like it!
    We've got the bridesmaid dress now to Smiley smile

• MrsOh
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsOh ·
    • Hide content

As suggested I am showing my face here, I'm rather late to the May 2014 thread so will quickly introduce myself and then try and catch up to see who is who.

Me and H2B have been together since July 2008, he proposed in August 2012 but due to Uni commitments, jobs, moving house I was unable to really start planning until August this year.

So the venue hunt began and we eventually settled on two we both liked. Saw them both, went for the first and booked it today for the 9th May. That and the registrar are the only things that I have booked. Sure I have tonnes of photographers, dresses, florists, musicians on my favourites lists and my pinterest boards are bursting with ideas but I still feel like there is so much to do with so little time to do it.

Can already tell that I am going to be pulling my hair out during the planning! But that hasn't taken away from the excitement, I am actually getting married!!

x

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Woo! Date twin! Where're you getting married? All I've done is shortlist some togs, booked church and venue - keep telling myself I have loads of time, so you're not alone! Smiley smile

• Kimblebee
    Beginner May 2014
    Kimblebee ·
    • Hide content

Date Triplets!! ?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just wanted to say that is great news about it shrinking Joanna. He sounds wonderful and it's lovely he wants to also plan with you. Sounds like a fighter!

• A
    Beginner May 2014
    Amora Nail & Beauty ·
    • Hide content

Really glad you had some good news. Bet he will love planning things with you Smiley smile

• A
    Beginner May 2014
    Amora Nail & Beauty ·
    • Hide content

Morning ladies,

So I am off to the Wedding Factory Outlet today in Leicester with a friend to see if any of the dresses there are better than "The One (so far)" that I have absolutely fallen in love with. I have been told that if I want the one I've fallen in love with I really need to get it ordered by next weekend so my parents are coming to visit next weekend with the aim of ordering my dress so am wanting to make 100% sure that I am happy with my choice. Considering the one was the first I could be bothered to try on I am not sure at all what today will bring.

What's everyone doing for centrepieces, I don't want to hire them as they are so expensive so hoping to make my own.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics