Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner May 2014

May Fountains Abbey Wedding

megewareham, 11 February, 2013 at 16:14 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi Ladies

I have just booked my wedding at Fountains Abbey, Ripon (so please no absolute horror stories) and I am now deciding where to recommend for my guests to stay. Does anyone know of any gorgeous/relaxing/pretty places to stay that are reasonably local to Ripon.

Any other advice on photographers, florists, entertainment etc is also very welcome.

Thank you

Megan

11 replies

Latest activity by oggers86, 15 February, 2013 at 18:42
  • Kath @ JohnCharltonPhoto
    Beginner
    Kath @ JohnCharltonPhoto ·
    • Hide content

I grew up near Fountains Abbey - its gorgeous! My parents still live round there so haven't stayed there but this place always gets good reviews:

http://www.theolddeanery.co.uk/

We'd love to photograph a wedding there - so happy to have a chat about photography!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Wow stunning wedding. Huge congratulations and hello and welcome. Is it May next year?

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    megewareham ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for the lovely welcome. Yes it will be May 2014.

We fell in love with the place after our first show round and the potential for amazing photos, which is my next task, do I need to book a photographer fairly promptly?

Thank you for your quick replies, I have looked in to The Old Deanery, it seems fairly pricey?

• Kath @ JohnCharltonPhoto
    Beginner
    Kath @ JohnCharltonPhoto ·
    • Hide content

It's probably worth looking at photographers soon - depends what/who you are wanting but good ones will get booked up.

I didn't look at prices so The Deanery it could well be pricey! What about looking at hiring a cottage or house nearby on a short lets- if guests shared if might not work out too expensive?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

As Kath said I would look at booking one fairly soon. Out of the 5 weekends in May I have two available, so people are booking quite far in advance. What date have you chosen? x

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi Megan,

That's a fab venue. As others have said, nail down your tog / video / band (if you're having one).

Those suppliers tend to have the biggest leads times. But choose your tog wisely. The venue is a perfect canvas for photos as long as someone can make use of it.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    megewareham ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, so the big question, how do you decide on a photographer? I have a budget in mind so that's not too much of a problem, there are just so many out there...

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Find someone who's work you love, who fits your budget then meet up with them to make sure they'll fit in with your day.

That's the most succinct way of putting it. You could write a book on the subject but the above is pretty fail safe.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

There certainly are quite a few! Do you have a style of photography you prefer? An ideal budget?

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Think about what kind of style you'd like. Do you want a lot of formal shots, or would you want something less structured? Would you want a certain look/feel to the photos? Once you've honed that down, let us know and we can give you key search terms to Google and that might help you locate some photos you like. Thennnnn, make sure you meet them all and see which one you get on best with/you have confidence and trust in!

• D
    DeanC ·
    • Hide content

Hi Megan,

Firstly, you need to narrow the list down to those that you like the images. Then narrow them further by budget, and finally meet up with them to see how you will all get along. If you don't get on with someone it will be a long day.....considering they will be with you most of it !

Please do have a look at my website at www.deancarney.com and get in touch.

All the very best,

Best regards

Dean

www.deancarney.com

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations, I grew up there (went to Nidd High School)

I dont think you can go wrong with anywhere in the area scenery wise, if I was still living locally I would definitely have had my wedding in the area.

Havent lived in the area for a while so cant recommend anything I am afraid.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics