Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

MEGA MEGA MEGA DRESS WOBBLES!!!!!! ***UPDATED***

28 September, 2012 at 20:31 Posted on Planning 0 26

?

Please please give some advice as my Mum, sister AND best mate don't seem to be answering their flippin texts this evening!!!!

Having a major major dress wobble - this isn't just a minor one where I need someone to say 'don't worry LLB it looks great'

I need HONEST opinions - what you say isn't going to hurt my feelings if you think I look like a whale!! !

So let me tell you my dress history to start with......

I fell in love with Maggie Sottero dresses when I was looking - especially the fit and flare shaped ones as I want something figure hugging but still with a simple style as myself & OH are getting married abroad just the two of us so there's no need for a big 'show-stopper' dress but I did know I still want to look and feel INCREDIBLE (what brides doesnt??)

So I went to a shop and tried on some but they were all too big and looked horrendous! they offered to order in the ones I liked from the catalog in my size (8-ish) so I surprised my mum, sister and best mate by taking them with me to try on.

I fell in love with 2.....

Marion

which I loved and felt very 'me' in although I don't really like my legs and I was worried about stepping on the dress as it moves a bit strangely due to the high split in the leg

the other dress i loved was Evelyn

its a bit more 'formal' but I felt slim and very elegant in this.

Unfortunately both are WAAAAYYYYYY out of my budget and despite scouring pre-loved, ebay, etc etc I couldn't find a sample one or used one for sale. I did however find another dress....Pronovias Fresa

I bought it for a bargain price on ebay - as a sample dress with tags still on - when I tried it on I wasn't sure then I got thinking about it and decided to go for it.

I've since tried it on a good few times (it's just in a dress bag in my spare room!!) and i'm doubtful every time i try it on that

a) im going to be too hot as it's quite thick in the bodice (made of chiffon but very 're-inforced' to give shape) and its going to be 28 degrees ish

b) that the train is way too long - i won't have any there to hold it

c) that it makes me look fat!

at the moment the dress is about 2 sizes too big so it's hard to know what it will be like when it's properly fitted but I tried it on with a petticoat to see if it was better with / without yesterday and since then i've been having a MAJOR wobble about whether the dress is right or not! Then tonight I go on to pre-loved and find an Evelyn (see above) at a really good price - I just need to find out if it's long enough as it's a 'shorter' length one.

So my question is WHAT THE F)&K am I going to do??????? and does anybody know how long / what height the maggie shorter length dresses are made to fit (and does that include allowance for a small heel???)

here are some pics of me in (current) dress with hoop petticoat

without hoop

i've been working MY ARSE off to be the size 8 I want to be for my wedding - I know its shallow but it's really important to me to look and feel slim and elegant and a grown up (i'm not a girlie girl at all and very very rarely wear dresses!)

Sorry this has been so long and rambly but I really need HELP!

Like I said any feedback even if you think I don't want to hear it welcomed

LLB XX

26 replies

Latest activity by chocolatetiger1, 30 September, 2012 at 17:32
  • V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Okay, so you want an honest opinion.....

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Hi matey (sorry, but we chat so often you're sort of a mate!)

Right, honest opinions:

Marion: please no. Full length split? Fine for a wedding night nightie, but as a dress, wayyyy too flirty/sexy IMHO.

Evelyn: Gorgeous! Lovely lovely dress. However, it's lace, and will that be hotter than Fresa? I had structured gathered chiffon in my dress and it wasn't too hot. Actually on the day it was the last thing I was thinking about.

Fresa: OK here's the tough love. On the model it's great. However, if I'm being honest, it does not make you look a size 8. I'm an 8 myself and in the pics you posted, you look a little larger. Not much, but a little. And I don't like the dress as much.

So, if you can afford it, get the Evelyn dress as well. See if it looks good, and see if you can sell yours. I actually agree with you, I prefer Evelyn and especially if you're looking at having a UK party when you get home, it may work better.

That's my 2p xxx

(edited cos I got confused about dress names)

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Stop trying the dress on!!!! That shape is absolutely stunning & you look beautiful but you have to stop trying it on when its too big for you! Take it to a seamstress who can pin you into it properly & give you a proper view of how it will look!! Are you getting married abroad?

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the previous ladies comments, you really need to get a seamstress to pin you in as currently isnt flattering in your figure. If you are getting abroad I personally prefer dress 1 but with the split sewn up. But for a beach wedding I love love love BBB's dress!

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Good for you for asking for honest opinions - it's the best way I think.

Okay, none of the dresses are my cup of tea, so actually I think I can offer a fairly objective opinion in that I don't 'prefer' any of them.

I personally don't see a problem with a thigh high split - you're not getting married in a Church (I'm assuming...?) so who cares? And even if you are, you may not care, so there you go. I think Marion will be the most flattering on your figure (which is lovely).

The stiff ruffles of the Fresa are not going to be hugely flattering on someone who doesn't have a very slim waist - you are very slim, but you (like me) don't have a particularly 'pronounced' waist, which this dress calls for. That said, I do think it looks lovely on you, actually, but that is because you have a lovely figure and it doesn't NEED to be flattered - however, from what you've said, you would like to be flattered by your dress on your wedding day (and who can blame you! I feel exactly the same).

I agree that the lace one will be very hot, and get sand stuck in it (are you getting married on the beach, or have I made this up?). I also don't think it will be any more flattering that the fresa.

So, all in all, I think that the Marion will be the best one for you. But if you tried the Evelyn and KNOW you prefer it, then get it and sell your current dress (which will be snapped up, as it is a beaut and looks in great nick).

I am not sure if this helps at all - I would say this though, there is no way anyone would look at you in that lovely ruffly dress and think anything other than "Look at that beautiful girl, doesn't she look lovely in her dress?" So whatever happens, we're talking first world problems here (not meant to diminish your concerns - meant only to make you feel better) ?

• Polkadots_and_Pincurls
    Beginner June 2015
    Polkadots_and_Pincurls ·
    • Hide content

I'll be honest as you asked for it, I agree with BBB- I LOVE the Evelyn. It's gorgeous, it's one of your dream dresses, and if you ain't feeling the dress you bought everytime you try it on, somethings not right.

Also Evelyn is my daughters name, but that's not why I like it lol. Follow you heart, it's your ONLY wedding day x

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Pudding Bex - if you're not feeling the ruffley one, buy the Evelyn and sell the other one.

To be completely honest - the dress you are wearing above makes you look bigger than a size 8, but because you have said its a bigger size, it's hard to tell what it is really making your body look like.

Go with your heart x x x

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aww thanks ST Smiley smile

LLB - if all else fails, you're welcome to borrow my dress (as I said, size 8 and chiffon) but I know you really want your own! xxx

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

OK see if this loads OK - this is the "hardcore chiffon" on mine:

However, if you have second thoughts and prefer the other, then go for it! I think it really may come down to "do you like the ruffles more than the lace?"

Honestly hun, if you need any help just ask. You have my email addy, I think xxx

• raindrop_eye
    Beginner October 2012
    raindrop_eye ·
    • Hide content

I'd like to add 'don't get too hung up on what a particular photo looks like'. I went to a fitting after my dress had been shortened and as I was by myself I asked the lady to take a photo of me in the dress. Looking at it afterwards I had a major wobble, it looked way too long and not nearly as flattering as I remembered. After two days panic I went back with a friend. The dress was perfect, it was just a bad photo and I trust my tog to take better ones!

(I think you look lovely in the photos btw, this is just to help if YOU don't like them)

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

LOL yeah, I looked at Reese too, but decided that it was a little too Hollywood and I didn't have the boobs. Anyway, you know where I am. Or if not, I;m in Warwickshire and can travel for a B2B in distress LOL!! xx

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

It just doesn't look right on you and I don't mean that in a nasty way at all, it just doesn't sit right. The only problem there is if adjustments are needed and you still don't like it you wont be able to change it. Have you already paid for it? You have a lovely figure btw, I would go back and ask them to pin it in a bit more while you are wearing it and see what you think xxx

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

The Evelyn dress is stunning good luck with whatever you decide LLB xxx

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely keep me updated, I love this style of dress, wish I had the body for them lol *fatty alert* x

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

They are all basically the same shape down to the hips so if you don't like the style of the one you have got when it's on the others will be the same, I think. It looks fine but not an 8 but then if it isn't pulled in to your shape then it won't. You could have the train removed so that it is floor length all round. The 2nd one also has a train so same problem of what to do with it.

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

I see you've said your going to sell it, I was going to suggest this. If your not happy everytime you ut it on, then there's no point in keeping it. Good luck and keep us informed on what you choose x

• C
    Beginner October 2012
    chocolatetiger1 ·
    • Hide content

Loucieloulabelle, just thought I'd post to make you feel better.

My wedding dress arrived recently and the vague doubts I had were amplified when I realised I was actually going to have wear this dress in front of other people and not just in a changing room. I could not bring myself to show anyone the photos I had taken of me in the dress so I knew I definitely hated it. It is SO unlike me to be indecisive and make a bad decision about something important like that so it was a nightmare. After several sleepless nights I decided enough was enough. The dress shop didn't alter it and I shot off to Copplestones bridal in Liverpool. I found a perfect dress there for £299 (RRP approx £1500) and bought it off the peg 3 weeks before my wedding date.

The best part about it is I have managed to keep it all under wraps from OH - but I'm sure it will all come out in the wash . I intend to sell both gowns after the event.

I figured that a few hundred pounds although a lot of money is simply not worth ruining my wedding day for. I know that sounds dramatic but if I felt that bad it would have ruined my day.

So Loucieloulabelle, you are not alone and my advice is go with your gut instinct and put it down to experience. At least it will be a good story to tell the grand children (!!) x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics