Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
VIP July 2024 Cheshire

Menopause

Michelle, 20 of April of 2023 at 16:48 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 11
Hi just need some advice to the ladies who have gone through the menopause or are going through it now how did or do you know if you are going through this thanks x馃槶鈾ワ笍

11 replies

Latest activity by Jinnykey, 19 of May of 2023 at 05:43
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks what is this and have you gone through the menopause need to see what the symptoms are from others
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135
    • Hide content

There are as many symptoms as there are people, I think. Common ones include hot flushes, joint aches, 'brain fog', severe exhaustion, mood swings, sleep disruption, dry eyes/skin/mucous membranes, changes in periods (heavier, lighter, more erratic)...

You might find it helpful to check out the Menopause Matters website - they have a lot of helpful info and also a forum where you can ask questions. I used it a lot when I first started peri - it was reassuring to know I wasn't going totally loopy! And it was set up by a medical professional, so the articles that get published there are sound, not dodgy.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thankyou so much for the help all that you have said sounds like I am what did you do for help with it don't want prescription drugs would rather find alternative ways x鈾ワ笍
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It really depends what your worst symptoms are.

To start off, it's worth making a real effort to eat healthily and exercise regularly, as that will help. If your joints are painful, try low impact stuff like swimming.

For hot flushes, think layers and natural fabrics for both clothing and bedding as this helps regulate temperature and natural fabrics are more absorbent if you do get sweaty! Alcohol, caffeine and spicy foods can all trigger flushes, as can sugar.

For joint aches, soaking in a bath can help. Mood swings - you may find diet and lifestyle help, but otherwise, just ride it out. I found it helpful to consciously remind myself that the feelings I was experiencing were just hormones and were not 'real'. It sounds weird, but as soon as I could recognise the grief/sadness/frustration as not being linked to any event but just due to my hormones doing weird things, it became much more manageable - almost like putting those feelings in their place!

Eye drops can help with dry eyes and staying hydrated is really important - I never go anywhere without a water bottle now.

Vaginal atrophy can be a problem - there are over the counter preparations you can use which help, but if they are not enough, you can get a hormonal treatment from the GP which is incredibly low risk, since it's applied topically, not swallowed. If you start needing the loo more often, or get any dryness, itching or discomfort in that area, then do get it checked out. It's really nasty if left untreated, but treatment is easy, so don't ignore it.

If you're really struggling, don't be scared to speak to your GP. And don't let it scare you. It's a bit weird realising you've reached this stage of life, but it's something we all go through if we're privileged to live long enough, and it doesn't last forever. I started getting symptoms in my late 30s and felt like my life was over, but now I'm in my late 40s and I'm so much healthier and happier and most of my symptoms have really eased up or gone completely.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You are amazing my symptoms I think have been going on for about 6 years I'm now 44 I just thought it was stress due to family issues my little boy has autism and it's really bad so stressful for me so thought it was partially down to that also wedding stress I will definitely seek more advice of GP but thankyou x鈾ワ笍
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No worries - I still remember how scary those first few months were, before I got my head around what was happening. You'll probably be better off posting on a menopause-specific forum as you'll get a wider range of responses than here, but any time you want to drop me a PM, please do.

Hope you're getting the support you need for your little boy - I used to work on a care farm for young people with autism, so I know how challenging it can be getting them the right help.

• J
    Savvy April 2024 West London
    Joanna
    • Hide content
    Hi look at the NHS guidance. Normally it's sleeping problems, hot flushes, brain fog, tiredness, anxiety. Maybe not all at once. I took sage from Holland and Barrett and Black Cohosh afterwards when that stopped working for a year. It worked .
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks I will do that has for my son his nanny passed away 5 years ago they were so close and this changed him but has for the help school are waste of space x鈾ワ笍
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thankyou so much I will search this up x 鈾ワ笍
  • J
    Beginner August 2024 East Central London
    Jinnykey
    • Hide content

I am now in menopause, I realized this when I started to feel weak, sleep badly and was very emotional and of cource could not lose my weight...
    In menopause for women it more difficult to lose weight due to hormonal changes that can slow down your metabolism and cause your body to store more fat. However, there are still several things you can do to help you lose weight during menopause:
    1.Eat a healthy and balanced diet: I'm trying this one now https://betterme.world/articles/30-day-fast-weight-loss/ wish me luck
    2.Exercise regularly: Aim to do at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity exercise most days of the week.
    3.Stay hydrated

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thankyou the weight isent too bad losing that just everythin else tell you one thing men have it easy x 鈾ワ笍

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics