Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holey
Beginner July 2011

Michelin Star Restaurants - Dress Code Please!

Holey, 31 of August of 2012 at 12:54 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 23

Last minute help please! We are finally off to the Hand and Flowers in Marlow tomorrow night and I don't know what to wear. Although it is a 2 Michelin Star restaurant it's a 'gastro pub' and when I saw the chef on Saturday kitchen he said it isn't a typically 'posh' restaurant so now I'm really stuck!

I've got a nice dress I could wear that in terms of dressiness (definitely not a real word I don't think) I would wear to a nice work xmas party but not to a wedding if that makes sense. Would this be ok do you think? Also, does my H wear smart jeans, shoes and a shirt or smart/suit trousers and a shirt?

Anyone got advice?!

23 replies

Latest activity by ashlil, 4 of September of 2012 at 11:03
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Smart Casual- unless it states otherwise on the website

ETA Just checked out the website and the food looks amazing, mucho jealous! I think smart pub wear will be fine.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed. I can't see anything to indicate that smarter than this is required. Boy would wear smart jeans and a shirt. You can pretty much wear what you want.

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Munstermad ·
    • Hide content

Oh it looks fantastic. Your dress sounds perfect and if there was a strict dress code (especially for men) then I am sure they would have told you when you booked and it would be clear on the website too.

H2B treated me to dinner at a fancy London establishment a few months ago and was told when he booked that men must wear jackets. You'd have known a mile off we weren't used to such fine dining, we were sitting up straight, being very mannerly while the regulars just about had their jackets on and could have been at their kitchen table. Hilarious.

Have fun!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all. That is what I thought really but didn't want to turn up them not let us in!

We are really looking forward to it, the duck dish is the one he did for the Great British Menu.

Carirw - my H took me to a posh restaurant to propose and we were the same as you (Except when I started crying!)

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nah, restaurants aren't shy if they DO have a dress code. They understand that not everybody does this as their standard Friday night at the pub (and therefore knows any "unspoken rules").

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I don't know! I've been looking at the menu since June when I booked the table and I still can't decide. I like to have a nosey when I'm there at other people's dinners coming out to help me decide ?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I'm taking my brother there a week tomorrow for his birthday lunch. I'm going to wear a dress, but then I tend to wear a dress when I want to look nice but not have to think too much about what to wear. My brother will be wearing jeans and a shirt because they're presents from my mum and the only smartish clothes he'll have (currently doing sound at the Paralympics in work gear, no other smart clothes!)

Enjoy!

• H
    Beginner June 2012
    HelDR ·
    • Hide content

I've been a couple of times to H&F and can confirm its fab.

Last time we went i had some smart trousers on with a shirt and heels (my usual going out wear as not a skirt/ dress lover) and H wore jeans, shirt and shoes.

What you/ H are thinking about wearing will look lovely

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Insanely jealous - I had booked a table and couldn't make the booking [:'(] we will go one day. They are booked right upto xmas now

Jeans and shirt

have you got a flash of they type of your dress? I would have said xmas party dress might be too dressy for Tom's place - more comfortable but smart dress like a christening one etc

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My first flash! Hopefully it works, this is the dress I have:

Without the garter obviously!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Defo smart/casual, at the fat duck I wore a dress and ballet pumps and H wore black jeams and a shirt!

• B
    Beginner October 2012
    butterflystar ·
    • Hide content

Ooo we are going there for one of our nights of our mini moon in october, please come back and tell us what it was like!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

We're going here on our anniversary next month I'm really excited! Thinking of wearing a dress and possibly heels, but then, I like to dress up for dinner!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Just wanted to report back, I can confirm it was amazing! The food and the service was brilliant, I don't think any of you going will be disappointed!

FYI I had the duck course that he won the Great British Menu with and it really was top notch, I've never really had duck properly before (not sure crispy duck from the chinese counts) and it was so nice!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I want to know each and every dish you had so I can start to work out what I'm going to eat!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. Mrs Bass did a lovely restaurant report for The Fat Duck. We need another. It's a "thing". We decided. ?

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

AGREED! I need the full low down i am SOOO excited!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha! Well I'm not so good at the report malarky but I can definitely tell you what we had!

We ordered our starters and mains and they bought us out complimentry canapes (we aren't special they do this for everyone!) which was home made soda bread and deep fried white bait with marie rose sauce. I'd always been put off white bait because they are whole if you see what I'm saying but these tasted so fresh I managed to get past the bones/eyes situation.

I had salmon tartare to start that was like small pieces of salmon with capers and herbs with a salmon mousse on top and poppy seed 'crackers'. Not something I'd normally go for but thought I'd try it and it was so worth it. My H had the scallop starter which was three scallops on garlic mayo type sauce then with a beef jelly type thing underneath, It sounds really weird but tasted delicious.

Main for me was the duck and the BEST chips I've even had, they were fried in duck fat and were so crispy. It came with peas and a gravy/sauce which just made everything come together. I'm not normally one for chips and gravy (being a Southern softy) but this changed my mind. H had the venison which neither of us had ever had but again tasted delicious, it came with these little almost batter bits and in my H's words two sauces as he 'has just found another sauce hiding round the back here!'

Dessert was raspberry souffle which was massive! Seriously it must have stood about 15cm high, no joke! I'd never had a souffle before and figured I'm unlikely to get the opportunity to have one made by a michelin star chef any time soon. H had the chocolate cake which was like mousse cake almost but when he cut into it this salted caramel sauce poured out. By this point I realised I'd made a serious error in my pudding choice ?

I will say at this point that the service had been top notch, they were attentive without being annoying and when I booked the table I was told we could have it from 6.30 until 8.30 but they didn't rush us at all. We were out by almost bang on half eight but as I say they didn't hustle us out. The whole experience was so unfussy and unpretentious, they just put us at ease completely.

As for the dress code, I wore the dress I flashed last week and H wore shirt and jeans and shoes and I think we were possibly the dressiest people in there. It just didn't seem to matter.

Overall would definitely recommend it, all of you going pretty soon will love it!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm hopefully going to two two-starred restaurants on our belated anniversary mini-break in a couple of weeks - shall I do some reports?

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

[:'(] so jealous (gutted we can't go) - lol at the dress code, thought you might be over but sounds an amazing time

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics