Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner February 2024 West Midlands

Micro wedding and managing guests

Emily, 10 of September of 2022 at 19:03 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 10
My partner and I have decided we don’t want a huge wedding and are toying with the idea of having a micro wedding or even eloping and just having a huge party afterwards. Has anyone done either and how do you manage disappointing people as I know there’s no way I can do either without offending some family and friends? We just feel that we want something small and intimate but whereas he thinks his friends wouldn’t care, I think mine would!

10 replies

Latest activity by Passpappu079, 17 of January of 2023 at 09:06
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You 'manage' disappointing people by realising that whatever you do for your wedding, someone is going to think you should have done differently. And having realised that, you go ahead with the plan that works for you.

If you have an elopement followed by an after-party, then I would plan the party at the same time as the elopement and have it very soon after. I know so many people who have eloped and promised a big celebration 'later', but 'later' never happens! So to save disappointment, I would either determine to have a micro-wedding and make it clear that there will be no party later on, or have the party planned & booked before you elope.

• E
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much for replying!! Some good advice there!
  • R
    Curious October 2022 Warwickshire
    Rebecca ·
    • Hide content
    We are having a micro wedding (15 people including us) and we managed people’s expectations by being very clear about what we wanted. From the moment we decided what kind of wedding we wanted, we told people that it would be tiny, making it very clear that it would only be immediate family and closest friends. We’ve also been clear that there will be no after party! We have found that everyone has been very supportive and respectful of our wishes for our wedding, and even people who aren’t invited are still excited to hear all about it. Please don’t worry about how people will react, because those closest to you just want you to be happy, and anyone who complains doesn’t deserve to be there anyway!

Good luck x
  • Marie
    Savvy October 2021 Nottinghamshire
    Marie ·
    • Hide content
    We had just 6 people at the ceremony, including us! While covid was a issue and weddings were cut back it was fine, once the restrictions were lifted it caused some issues and I was made to feel guilty. I stood my ground and kept it small but then had a party a couple of days later to get everyone involved. I was really peeved that people couldn’t respect my wishes and couldn’t understand that we wanted no fuss because the day was difficult enough not having my dad there! I think if I was to do it again I’d not tell them!
  • E
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes that’s what we’re thinking - maybe just throwing a party and explaining we want it to be small. I don’t have my mum around anymore as she passed when I was younger, and I’m not close to her family, so it would save any awkwardness there too. Thank you ..
  • E
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!! Sounds like you’ve managed the message well. Hopefully my friends are as understanding :-) Enjoy your day!
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think only you and h2b can make this choice but be prepared for a fall out sorry not being mean but this is me now we plan to do it alone with our kids but family and friends don't talk to us now because of this I would suggest a chat with them all see what the reaction is you could do a party when you get back just remember it's about the two of you X ❤️
  • rosealvina
    rosealvina ·
    • Hide content

I think it's your day and you have right about how you manage your wedding. If you think you disappoint your guest then that is such a weird thing because, in any event, guests are not fully satisfied with anything. So don't be scared of any such foolish thing and enjoy your wedding day with your loved ones.

• P
    Beginner September 2022 Savoie
    Passpappu079 ·
    • Hide content

I had problems #1 and #2 for my 40 person wedding. We ended up adding 8 people, which including us meant it was a 50 person wedding. It’s frustrating when people assume (or ask) they will be fine to just bring extra people, and that even though you haven’t invited certain friends to keep the list low, you may end up allowing these extra people to keep the peace. I ultimately decided keeping it drama free was worth allowing those handful of extra people, but you know what’s best for you. It can be frustrating, and I think it’s regardless of wedding size. If you have a guest count in mind, a number agreed upon with the venue (we did), and a hard deadline for vendors… size is irrelevant and these issues are common. Sorry it’s frustrating! Once your head counts are due it will be over at leastI had problems #1 and #2 for my 40 person wedding. We ended up adding 8 people, which including us meant it was a 50 person wedding. It’s frustrating when people assume (or ask) they will be fine to just bring extra people, and that even though you haven’t invited certain friends to keep the list low, you may end up allowing these extra people to keep the peace. I ultimately decided keeping it drama free was worth allowing those handful of extra people, but you know what’s best for you. It can be frustrating, and I think it’s regardless of wedding size. If you have a guest count in mind, a number agreed upon with the venue (we did), and a hard deadline for vendors… size is irrelevant and these issues are common. Sorry it’s frustrating! Once your head counts are due it will be over at least

• P
    Beginner September 2022 Savoie
    Passpappu079 ·
    • Hide content
    • I had problems #1 and #2 for my 40 person wedding. We ended up adding 8 people, which including us meant it was a 50 person wedding. It’s frustrating when people assume (or ask) they will be fine to just bring extra people, and that even though you haven’t invited certain friends to keep the list low, you may end up allowing these extra people to keep the peace. I ultimately decided keeping it drama free was worth allowing those handful of extra people, but you know what’s best for you. It can be frustrating, and I think it’s regardless of wedding size. If you have a guest count in mind, a number agreed upon with the venue (we did), and a hard deadline for vendors… size is irrelevant and these issues are common. Sorry it’s frustrating! Once your head counts are due it will be over at leastI had problems #1 and #2 for my 40 person wedding. We ended up adding 8 people, which including us meant it was a 50 person wedding. It’s frustrating when people assume (or ask) they will be fine to just bring extra people, and that even though you haven’t invited certain friends to keep the list low, you may end up allowing these extra people to keep the peace. I ultimately decided keeping it drama free was worth allowing those handful of extra people, but you know what’s best for you. It can be frustrating, and I think it’s regardless of wedding size. If you have a guest count in mind, a number agreed upon with the venue (we did), and a hard deadline for vendors… size is irrelevant and these issues are common. Sorry it’s frustrating! Once your head counts are due it will be over at least

• https://www.routerlogin.net/

• pikashow

P

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics