Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sheilla
Curious June 2023 Cambridgeshire

Military wedding - colour schemes and venue thoughts? Please :)

Sheilla, 24 of June of 2022 at 03:57 Posted on Planning 0 18

My hubby (we have already eloped) and I are having a wedding celebration in Sept 2023. He wants to wear his army number ones. He will be wearing a maroon para beret, with a maroon sash and trousers which also have a maroon stripe on them. The uniform is a very, very dark blue/almost black colour.

The obvious colour scheme would be bridesmaids in maroon and his grooms men who aren't in uniform to wear dark blue/maroon tie combo suits to blend in. But I REALLY don't want to do that as this is what happens at basically every military wedding and maroon isn't my favourite colour. I want to do something a bit different but I'm struggling to get my head around it. I've toyed with the idea of bridesmaids in that same blue too but the venue we are looking at (South Farm) is so cute and bright and I'm just not sure it goes with the military wedding vibe. I've posted some pics bellow. I'm also going to post of pic of the venue that I am still in love with and still might book (Wasing Park) I just think a military wedding is better suited to that venue.

Military wedding - colour schemes and venue thoughts? Please :) 1

(Example of uniform)

Military wedding - colour schemes and venue thoughts? Please :) 2

(South Farm - the venue we are very, very close to booking)

Military wedding - colour schemes and venue thoughts? Please :) 3

(Wasing Park)

Does anyone have any thoughts on potential colour schemes/these wedding venues? I think I'm driving my husband mad haha. He just doesn't seem get it, he doesn't get why colour schemes are so important!

Please help!! xx

18 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 28 of July of 2022 at 21:48
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

If you go to the opposite of the colour wheel you get blues but also emerald greens which would work really well with maroon and the navy uniform. You could also look at grays but may be a bit light. in terms of the venue, you could do it at either, it really is up to you, i personally don't think the venue should dictate a scheme, you can make it what you want. The emerald green would work really well with South Farm as I suspect this is what you really want, and don't actually want to turn your wedding in to a military theme. It is hard, but you must do what you feel most comfortable with. We had pastel rainbow as our theme, as we wanted lots of colour and our BMs had all different colour dresses, which could work with his uniform as well. good luck!

• H
    Savvy October 2022 Essex
    Helen ·
    • Hide content
    Could you consider champagne, gold or taupe for the bridesmaids? They’d tie in with the buttons and gold shoulder detailing on the military uniform, and you could incorporate some similar tones in the bouquets.
    We’re having dark navy for the men and a cool toned/muted champagne for the bridesmaids - which work well together!
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was going to say this! The detailing colour lends itself to golds but potentially also yellows - which would tie in really nicely with the exterior of South Farm Smiley smile

My other thought would go for tonal but paler shades of red and blue - so within the same spectrum (I'm not sure of the technical term!) as maroon/navy but lighter versions.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Military wedding - colour schemes and venue thoughts? Please :) 4
    I think out of all of these teal would work really well x💗
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    As for venue only you and husband can decide this you could do a list of what you like and dont like also what would work well with what colour you pick x💗
  • G
    Curious October 2022 North Yorkshire
    Georgie ·
    • Hide content
    Honestly, I’d just go with what ever colour you would like to. Military uniforms are generally not know for pairing nicely with any colour. My partner and I just gave up trying pair colours in the end and chose colours we really like instead. I’ve seen light colours work really nicely at friends weddings to provide some contrast, so would second the suggests for dusky pinks, taupe, champagne type colours (all these would pair nicely with maroon). We’ve chosen lighter colours to avoid navy and maroon which always look very classic with most military uniforms but are bit too heavy for our venue choice.

Also, (this is just my personal suggestion) I wouldn’t focus on his beret too much as the central point for the colour for the bridesmaid dresses. I know the significance of the maroon beret, much like the significance attached to ‘wings’, so if you wanted to do something to acknowledge the pride I’m sure you have in your OH’s professional achievements you could reference his maroon beret in your flowers or table settings. Or incorporate his cap badge or his para wings somewhere in the decor of the day (for example, we’re using air charts and paper aeroplanes as a nod to both of our branches within our service).
  • Sheilla
    Sheilla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Emerald green might work actually. I think I need to do a mood board. Thank you
  • Sheilla
    Sheilla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My friend had suggested champagne, I think taupe might be good too. Another one for the mood board.
  • Sheilla
    Sheilla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was actually thinking a dusky pink, teal is something I certainly
    Hadn’t considered before. Thank you.
  • Sheilla
    Sheilla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you 😊
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I think a dusky pink or a light teal would go beautifully with either venue and would work fine with the uniform. Or you could have a very pale shade of blue - the pale blue dress looks fine next to the uniform in your picture.

Your husband is in the military, but that doesn't mean it has to be a military wedding - his job is a big part of your lives, but not the whole of your lives, so don't let the uniform dictate the wedding. Go with what you love.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I its your choice sent these for a bit of inspiration Military wedding - colour schemes and venue thoughts? Please :) 5

Military wedding - colour schemes and venue thoughts? Please :) 6

Military wedding - colour schemes and venue thoughts? Please :) 7
    Can i just say you both looked amazing x💗
  • Sheilla
    Sheilla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahh thank you so much, seeing pictures like this really helps, I feel like my brain isn’t working properly with wedding overload haha. I hadn’t considered teal but it’s definitely something I’ll look into a bit more.

Ahh if you’re talking about our elopement pictures then thank you, was a really lovely day, got absolutely soaked. 🙂
  • Sheilla
    Sheilla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s so hard, after a bit of a discussion he did say he didn’t have to wear a uniform but I know how important it is to him and I think I’d feel guilty if he didn’t. But it does mean I have to plan my wedding around that and not the olive greens and burnt oranges I always had in mind. It’s tough being a people pleaser!
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The colours are hard to choose im eloping emerald green and silver is what i went for not doing the big do thing but still going for a colour good luck with choosing x💗
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Hi hun hows the colur scheme going have you decided yet x💗
  • Sheilla
    Sheilla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Michelle,

He has now decided he doesn't want to wear them so that leaves me free as a bird to pick whatever colours I want Smiley smile

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh well more colours to pick from xx At least you still have those amazing pics of you both in his military outfit good luck with picking a colour x💗

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics