Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ali_G
Beginner October 2012

Mispronunciation

Ali_G, 9 of November of 2011 at 11:59

Posted on Off Topic Posts 132

Inspired by the X Factor thread, what mispronunciations get on your nerves? I hate it when people say "haitch"... It's "aitch" you muppets!!

Inspired by the X Factor thread, what mispronunciations get on your nerves?

I hate it when people say "haitch"... It's "aitch" you muppets!!

132 replies

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ha!! yes, cant even spell it right let alone say it right!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

One we get a lot at work from service users is "rest bite" instead of "respite". I can see the logic of that. Sort of.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Brought instead of bought really annoys me

haitch instead of aitch

My dad is from near Shrewsbury and he pronounces it Shrowsbury.

The only thing I think I pronounce incorrectly is "caravan". I put the emphasis on the van, I think because this is how it's pronounced in Welsh.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I suppose you are right there Footlong, but it still gets on my wick.

I work at a Uni and get asked when the "date line" is.

A lot of Indian students ask me to "do the needful".

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh, I still agree with you. I don't imagine for one minute that those who say "I'm going to Tescos" mean anything other than an incorrecct plural Smiley smile

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Never heard anyone say it like that before!

When it comes to theatre, my mum always says "thee-ett-er" and I say "thear-ter". It's hard to explain it by typing, but basically she uses 3 syllables whereas I use two. It's really weird 'cos I don't think either of us are wrong. It just annoys me because she thinks we're saying it exactly the same! lol.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I like to laugh at the radio presenters struggling with place names. Down here in Kent we have places such as Wrotham (root-um) Challock (chollock) Meopham (mep-um) Trottiscliffe (troz-ley) and Teynham (ten-um) to name but a few.

I too get annoyed with people using brought instead on bought, lend instead of borrow etc but thats not a pronunciation issue just misuse of words.

I used to work with a woman who could say 'certificate', she said sir-stiff-a-cut and it really used to wind me up. And don't even get me started on inappropriate use of apostrophes and bad spelling.

My son (at age 12) had trouble when I served cannelloni - I told him that he couldn't have any until he said it properly and he picked it up pretty quick.

It also amuses me that kids actually say LOL and OhEmmGee...

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This reminds me of Victoria wood in Dinner ladies! must say its come out my mouth as Minnellium a few times.

a couple fo christmasses aggo, i got some broiche but had the micky taken out of me for pronouncing it br-oi-sh instead of bree-ohsh.

my mum and OH still find this hilarious and make me try to say it. dont think ive said it out loud for 2 years now!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, but your pronunciation uses a diphthong, which is sometimes counted as two syllables, not one.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had no idea. I plan on moving to Kent in the NY, must remember to learn these infernal place names. It annoys me when things aren't pronounced as they should be.

Who would have guessed Wrotham is pronoucned root-um... Meopham- well I wouldn have guess, and possibly Teynham.

What are other ones?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is that because you were confused about how it is spelt? If you picture the word (incorrectly) as "broiche" (as fitting your spelling of it here), your mispronunciation is understandable. However, if you can picture it as "brioche" (the correct spelling), it's more obvious how to say it...

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ha ha, good point, hadnt even noticed id spelt it wrong, maybe thats because i was saying it wrong in my head, or maybe im just stoopid! ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was thinking it was the former - you've taken a mental snapshot of the word that isn't correct. Smiley smile

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content

My OH doesn't pronounce his 'L's at the end of words properly (he is from SE london/Kent).. so wool is woow and wall is waaw (if you can imagine it??) anyway, woow and waaw sound identical and it irritates me to hell that he can't say them properly/differently and I quite often misunderstand what he's saying based on which word he means.

My children (should I ever have them) will learns to pronounce their Ls even if it kills me!

Also, the north/south divide in our house over whether it is bath or barth is neverending, but that's a whole different kettle of fish!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I'm from Bedford which, when said aloud, drops the "r".

I remember my high school being on Blue Peter, and that Konnie bird pronouncing it "Wooooot-ton" - she really longed out the ooooo. It cracks me up even now. It should be pronounced Wootton ... like 'woodden' but with "t"s.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have a bath but I visit Barth.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Mr B takes the mick out of me because I pronounce foreign words the way they should be pronounced

e.g. Chorizo = chorr-itho

Jalapeno = hala-penyo

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See I just can't train my northern tongue to say anything other than the Northern way. And apparently I make a weird face when i say barth or the like

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's pretty normal to do so tho right? OH's brother says 'Jallapeeneeo' and 'fageeta' which really gets on my nerves

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There are loads in every county - I couldn't list them all and I'm sure there are some I get wrong even though I've lived here all my life.

Other ones that spring to mind are East and West Malling (with a long A, as in fall, some people think its rhymed with pal), Snodland which some people seem to try and pronounce as if they're American (snod-LAND when it should be SNOD-lnd)), Mereworth (merry-worth) Otham (ott-um) Loose (looze) Lympne (lim) and of course one of the funniest villages in Kent - Thong (tong).

I'm sure I make an ass of myself in other places where I'm not familiar with the weird pronunciation - on our honeymoon we were told off for mispronouncing a town's name: Kirkenes is pronounced sheer-kin-ess, but thats Norway for you.

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

My ex used to say pacific instead of specific and supposibly instead of supposedly, he also used to write ect instead of etc.

• Nenas
    Beginner March 2012
    Nenas ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One of the funniest villages in Wales - Pant. I chuckle everytime i drive thru it tee hee

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My boy *used* to take the mick out of me. However, I have beaten him into a position* where he now takes the mick out of anyone who Anglicises it.

*Not literally.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've seen this done many times!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wonder if it's more common with people who mispronounce the full word as ecksetera?

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

One

Two

Free

Its Three!!

ETA - That one annoys me, I say it properly. ...theres another that makes me laugh...proply instead of properly.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Place names are so difficult! A few I have come across are Alsager (pronounced al-say-jer), a friend of mine thought it was Al-Sagger, Coughton (pronounced coat-en), Hartshill (harts-hill).

Mataland makes me laugh - MIL says this!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I've just thought of another couple (that annoy me, not that I do myself):

asterix instead of asterisk

expresso instead of espresso

less where it should be fewer

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

YES!!! I used to think it was ecksetera and couldn't understand why it was etc. until I looked it up. I was about 8 at the time though so i can be excused.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Expresso drives me slightly barmy.

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

H's uncle pronounces English words which don't have a Hungarian translation as though its a Hungarian word (he's Hungarian - not just a bit odd!). So iced tea becomes eetsed tay-aw. Everyone else is fully aware that its pronounced 'iced tea' but no one in the family has told him yet because its too funny.

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

argh me too!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics