Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ali_G
Beginner October 2012

Money envelopes

Ali_G, 18 October, 2011 at 16:14 Posted on Planning 0 121

Ok, this is a pretty weird question but is there such thing as a money envelope? Let me elaborate...

We're having a wishing well at our wedding and I want to supply our guests with an envelope that they can put their money in, which they will then drop in the wishing well.

I'm pretty sure I've seen something somewhere (maybe hobbycraft) where it's a little envelope with some wording on it saying To..... From.... and a space for a personal message.

Did I dream this or has anyone else seen them??

121 replies

Latest activity by a_white_izzy, 19 October, 2011 at 14:16
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I know the sort of thing you mean but I've never seen them at a wedding - more usual for church collections to help reclaim Gift Aid Smiley smile

We had a proper postbox and all of our guests bought their gifts (we asked for money or vouchers) in cards and envelopes, and posted them through the slot.

Most people will either send a gift in advance, or bring it with them in an envelope - or a box. I wouldn't expect anyone to come along with a wad of cash just to give to you.

I'd have thought it was fairly simple to buy some C6 (postcard size) envelopes from somewhere like Staples, and print some labels to put on them with that sort of wording and put in a pile by your well, if you think people will come without cards.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

The well is relatively small, like tabletop size, and there isn't enough room in it for cards as such, which is why I wanted to give them mini envelopes - because I know then they will all fit in it.

I think I might have to go with your idea of printing labels off if I can't find them anywhere!

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

We are asking for money and vouchers towards our familymoon and had presumed that guests would bring them in a card themselves i always have when going to weddings so had not thought of this, will be interesting to see what others have done x

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WHS. Not sure I'd be all that keen on it as a guest either.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's a given fact that most people will bring cards, in an envelope, sealed with a cheque, cash or vouchers inside.

All I can really suggest is that someone (it's supposed to be the Best Man's responsibility) keeps an eye on it and when it starts to get full, take some cards out and put them somewhere safe.

Just don't let him do like I read happened to someone else - he put them in a carrier bag and stuffed it in a cupboard "where it would be safe"... and then he got bladdered and forgot about it till the morning, only to find when he had got back to the cupboard that the bag had ended up going out with the rubbish and was some way down a skip behind the hotel...

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I probably wouldn't bother if I were you. I always take money in a card, so if I was faced with your situation, I'd have to open up the card, take out the money and put it into another envelope. Seems a bit of a faff to me, plus you'd be left with a pile of already opened cards!

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Could you not hire or buy a bigger wishing well box ours is the size of a small royal mail post box (table top) and would fit loads in it ebay have loads of different sizes x

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The idea is that I put the envelopes in with the invitations so this shouldn't happen.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just think I would find this a little presumptive (sp) .

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    adiesummer2012 ·
    • Hide content

I agree this doesn't seem workable - people will have to open their cards and put the money in your envelopes - seems a bit cheeky and then you don't get the enjoyment of opening cards individually.

No one will just turn up with £50 or whatever surely?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If I did give money as a gift I would put it in with my card and would then need to take it out and transfer it when I realised my card didn't fit in your wishing well.

Finding a money envelope in the invitation would make me more likely to go out and buy an actual present.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I have to agree that putting the envelope in with the invitation is very presumptious.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh golly. I'm still stuck at "it's not good to ask for money" Smiley smile

I can't imagine what I'd do if I opened an invitation and found a money envelope and space for me to write my name....

• kittykat9/9
    Beginner October 2011
    kittykat9/9 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry but I personally really don't like this and I'm not someone who normally really dislikes things. I accept people will give money (and they did at ours) but I would never dream of sending out a collection bowl envelope in the invite. I know you have obviously got the wishing well idea in your head but if as a guest I received an envelope I would a) find it presumptious b) not be too sure of the correct etiquette of using it and c) probably end up ignoring it and going with a more traditional card. As AJ also mentioned there is the issue of security - if it is obvious that people are putting money in one place you run the risk of someone taking money out. You may think your guests won't do this but what about any staff working there? Can you guarantee they're not light fingered or that somebody random couldn't pop in from outside the whole event mixing in with the crowd and walking out with some cash?

Maybe I'm too English and don't like the idea of asking for cold hard cash - vouchers yes but cash no (it may not make sense but if I feel this way you run the risk of some of your guests feeling this way too).

Stick with your well if you wish but make it bigger

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Hi hun,

No you haven't dreamn't it you have seen them and i have just googled it and found some. They are on the creations plus website creationsplus.com and do have to and from on them. I have had an invitation with a pre printed envelope in but it was annonymous so it didn't shame anyone who may only be able to give a small amount.

HTH x

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Let me explain!! It's not presumptious. I've written a poem too (cheesy I know) to go in the invites with it..... Not to everyone's taste I know.

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WPS

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

Just because you include a poem with the money envelope does not mean it is not presumptious!

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly! I can't say any more about money peoms!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I didn't mean to offend anyone! It's not at all presumptious. But, if most of you guys think that, then a lot of other people will too, so I think I'll just get a bigger well for everyone's cards!

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not offended. A sentence saying yet again that it is not presumptious yet you do register that a lot of us think that way, surely you could at least contemplate that it is presumptious? I am sure you have all the best intentions and it is all well mannered requests, but it is the impression that these money envelopes will give.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Alicecacchio- I really wouldn't worry i was at first when i decided to ask for money but it is more of a common occurance these days as people have already lived together so have got everything and then through this they pay bills and are saving for their wedding so then wish to have money to help them have a honeymoon and it is personal preference and opinion so if it is what you and your H2B want to do then do it. After all it is your family and freind's who know you best so they won't mind. I personally think if anything it is just as bad as having a gift list for a big department store. Who then has to fing money to buy a dear gift off the list. If i had to choose out of the 2 i would prefer to give the money.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You haven't offended me, but to ask for anything- be it a gift from a gift list or money can be seen as presumptious! People will give you a card I'm sure, and I think getting a bigger well is probably the most practical option. I normally spend a while choosing and writing a card when I attend a wedding, and normally give cash as matter of course anyway.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

To be honest presumptuous it may be but it boils down to the fact is, they are going to probably end up giving that or vouchers anyway so why not just clarify what would be more helpful. I would rather know what the couple want than ponder over what to get them and spend a fair bit of money on a gift of something they may already have or may not like. Money which ever way it looks is the safe option. The Bride and Groom can then take the money and put it towards what ever they choose and then send out thank you cards after the wedding telling their guests whet they bought with the money or if it went towards their honeymoon what an amazing time it helped them have. That is what my friend done and lots of people commented that they was relieved it was worth giving rather than wasting it on a present then worrying if they really liked it.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Everyone has different opinions on gift lists and asking for money in invites, who really has any right to say what is right or wrong? That wasn't the point really.

The point was whether to include envelopes in the invitations preprinted for people to put money in, and the OP asked for our opinions- which we have given.

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

I'm afraid I'm with the masses. I have no objection to people asking for money- in fact this is my preference as a guest and would usually give money anyway. But I hate money poems- and the idea of providing a money envelope even more so... To me its no better than going round the wedding breakfast asking people to get their chequebook out. Would deffo just go for a bigger well- If I was a guest, I wouldn't use the provided envelope and would just put money in with the card. If it didn't fit in the box I'd probably just leave it on the table next to it.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

BridalButterfly, it's all good and well saying your 'friends and family know you best' but it one of my siblings sent me an invitation containing an envelope in which to stuff some notes I'd tell her she was being rude and give her a punch than only siblings are allowed to do into adulthood.

Also, and I appreciate it's my own stubbornness coming into play here but, anyone who invites me to an event and asks me outright for money gets less from me than they would if they'd asked for nothing at all.

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Cricketbride- May be it is all good and well me saying that but i wouldn't send one to my family anyway as they will have contributed to it seperatly and as for friends they was all asking her what she wanted so she told them what she was doing and they was fine with it. I made her place cards and thank you cards so that was my contrubution.

If i may add though i really don't understand why this has became such a personal threat to everyone the op only asked everyone's opinion not to cause a war.

Everyone has a different out look on what they find acceptable.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I can't see it's become either a personal threat or a war.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

It's a public forum and people are simply voicing their opinions, not everyone agrees but I do not think it has become a personal threat or a war??

• BridalButterfly2012
    Beginner June 2012
    BridalButterfly2012 ·
    • Hide content

Just a few people seem to have gotten a bit personal by picking at peoples comments that's all. But never mind we don't all have to agree with everything everyone says or thinks anyway.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

It's a discussion forum - you seem surprised that people have differing opinions.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics