Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Danielle
Beginner November 2022 Kent

Monster Mother In Law!

Danielle, 1 of February of 2021 at 00:20 Posted on Planning 0 11
Sorry if this is a long post, I’m not even sure where to start!

So my fiancé and I have been together for over 6 years and when we started dating it took him over a year to even introduce me to his family, simply saying ‘you don’t know what they’re like’. I’m very shy and reserved around people that I don’t know due to dealing with anxiety and panic attacks for years, however I also love with my whole heart and would do absolutely anything for anyone! My MIL is very loud, in your face and viscous, our families couldn’t be more different! I could tell she didn’t like me from day 1 from her very frosty greeting and the fact that she couldn’t be bothered to talk to me or make me feel welcome when I was very clearly shy and uncomfortable.
Myself, my mum and my fiancé attended his nans birthday party at his mums house and literally nobody spoke to me or my mum, other than 1 conversation his mums best friend had with me in front of everyone about the girls my fiancé had previously slept with on holiday, girls in his past and how I clearly don’t know him at all! His mum walked out to the kitchen where everyone in his family followed and unknown to me at the time she was threatening how she wanted to punch me in the face. We left shortly after this as it was so uncomfortable.
After this party she said that we needed to talk, so the two of us sat in her living room on the day of me and fiancé moving in together (which is supposed to be a happy day) where she told me nobody likes me, I will never fit into their family, my fiancé will leave me and her door will be wide open when he does, she doesn’t believe in anxiety and mental health, that everything I say is rubbish and how everyone keeps asking her if she was going to hit me there and then. I walked out in floods of tears, ran straight past my fiancé, got into my car and drove away whilst having the worst panic attack of my life, unable to breathe, unable to see through my tears, unable to feel my hands and feet and driving over 100mph down the motorway. I was so lucky I didn’t crash! She then tells her son that he needs to pick between me or the family and that she will disown him if he picks me.
He was obviously distraught and ran away for a few days (he was very much a mummy’s boy back then) but decided to pick me and we moved in together as planned. She didn’t speak to him for months and wrote him out of her will. They started to speak again a while later, nothing was mentioned, no apology to him, but he just wanted a quiet life. I didn’t speak to her or see her for 3 years.
3 years later we all decided to draw a line under the past and start fresh and for a little while things were looking promising! Until we tried meeting up and getting closer to my fiancé’s brother and his girlfriend. Now I’ve come to realise that the reason my MIL loves her so much is because they are exactly the same! She is so two faced and twisted, she puts everyone down trying to show that she is better than everyone else and loved by everyone (which isn’t actually true). She deliberately lied and turned 2 of our friends against us and then tried lying about what my fiancé apparently said about me to her on a seperate occasion. I’d had enough and we wanted nothing more to do with her and so I told my in laws that although I respect them unfortunately I can no longer have a relationship with the SIL because of what happened and I hope it doesn’t affect things with us. It did. She turned my MIL against me again who got involved with a situation that had nothing to do with her, took her side without even speaking to me about it and said that she is done with me!
My fiancé went through a very difficult patch in the lead up to Christmas where he had thoughts of not wanting to be alive anymore because of the way his family are, he has admitted in the past how he wishes every single day that his family were ‘normal’ like mine and it breaks my heart! I pleaded with him to open up to his mum as they are both terrible at communicating so he did, and when he admitted how low he is she ran out of the room crying but never said anything and never did anything! Thankfully he is in a better place now with love and support from me and my family but I can only imagine how hard this must be for him.
We’re now planning our wedding and for my fiances sake I said that I am happy to invite his parents to the wedding as at the end of the day they’re still his family and I am such a family person I couldn’t imagine not having my parents there. He has asked his mum and she instantly said no she will not be there! Luckily his dad and brother are attending, but we’re not inviting the SIL. This is the second time his mum has put her own happiness before her sons and I am just truly disgusted by the way she has treated him. The fact that she can’t even fake a smile for 1 day just to make him happy is insane to me.
I truly don’t know where to go from here, I’m so angry, so hurt and just confused what to do. Everyone is telling me to draw the line and forget her now which I know I should do but I keep seeing our wedding day in my head without her there and although this is easier for me it’s going to be devastating for my fiancé and I don’t want him to go through that, it’s the biggest day of our lives and he doesn’t deserve any of this.
Does anyone have any advice on toxic in laws? I’ve never dealt with people like this before, I’ve been so lucky to be surrounded with genuine, positive and caring people. My MIL has admitted to being a bully and using peoples weaknesses against them and I just don’t know how to deal with that other than cutting her off for good.

11 replies

Latest activity by Jessica, 25 of July of 2021 at 03:44
  • Laura
    Curious November 2021 Essex
    Laura ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god! I am so sorry you guys are having to go through this!! I actually read this with my mouth open at the sheer audacity of this woman!

I'll be honest I have never been in this situation with a toxic in law, but I felt like I had to reply. It sounds like your family are loving and supportive of you both and you fiancé clearly feels this from them. I think the best thing is that your MIL isn't going to be there, you say you feel devastated for your fiancé that his mum isn't going to be there but this is BOTH of your day could you imagine being at your own wedding and having the anxiety that she may say something or make a snide comment, I would honestly be relieved if I was you (although it's a lot easier saying that when you are not in the situation, I get it!)

Your fiancé obviously loves and cares for you so much, get married and enjoy your day surrounded by positive, loving people who are GENUINELY happy for you guys and have it as a fresh start, if he wants to keep in contact with them then by all means go for it but you do not have to surround yourself with people that make you feel like this!

Hope it all works out well for you xx

• R
    Beginner September 2024 Kent
    Romanticorangehair841 ·
    • Hide content
    I think your amazing as i wouldnt have anything to do with her after the 1st incident. If it bothers you that much then maybe you could ask her and even say im not asking for my sake im asking for your sons your his mum you should be there. If she still says no then i wouldnt waste anymore time on her and neither should your partner. Enjoy your day dont let people like that taint it
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the above poster Romantic.

This is awful behaviour, I haven't had this situation and I am sorry it has happened to you.

I think you should offer one more chance " for your son' sake" then not waste any more time.

Good luck

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I'm usually huge on keeping good relations with family, even when they're horrible, but sometimes, the only way forward is total distance.

Has your fiancé received any kind of counselling to help him deal with this? This level of hurt from close relatives causes really deep scars, and I think it is probably beyond the stage of being dealt with only through sympathy and support from friends and other family. If the manipulation goes back to childhood (basically, child abuse) then there will be a lot of damage that needs healing.

If he decides to continue having contact (and I know cutting yourself off completely is a huge step, and one that goes too far for some to be able to consider), then he needs help in setting clear boundaries and in knowing how to deal with the fallout.

• M
    Beginner October 2021 Central & Glasgow
    Mleoche ·
    • Hide content
    You seem like a genuinely lovely person and I must say that I think it’s clear you have already tried, I know it must be incredibly hard for your fiancé to feel like he is in the middle of all this, but your MIL has made her stance clear, you can’t change someone who doesn’t want to be changed, she sounds like a complete narcissist if I’m honest. I think you should do what makes you both happy and if your fiancé has the support of your family as well as you, then maybe in time he will see his mums behaviour for what it is, vindictive, manipulation and bullying. Maybe you could get your fiancé in touch with a support service, maybe some counselling to help him deal with all his feelings surrounding the situation. I wish you both the best of luck in your future together and life’s too short to do anything other than what makes you happy. So if you have to cut ties with someone like that then don’t give it a second thought, If it were me in your situation I would tell my fiancé that I love him and adore him but for the sake of my mental health I’m keeping my distance from your family and will still encourage any kind of relationship you want with them or not, either way your here for him and protecting yourself at the same time. Big hugs ?
  • Danielle
    Beginner November 2022 Kent
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    Thank you all for your kind messages! Unfortunately it turns out that my fiancé’s brother didn’t realise his partner wasn’t invited so he is no longer attending our wedding either. We have previously seen a therapist to help us cope with his family’s behaviour and it did help so much. I think it may be time to go back for another session.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, please keep going. Toxic behaviour from close family is a HUGE issue to deal with and takes a lot of work over a long period of time. Especially if there is any ongoing contact with said family.

I also don't think it helps that most people assume family 'always love you', so may come out with unhelpful comments, either generally or putting pressure on an individual to have more contact/fewer boundaries than is really needed. (E.g. sometimes even the slushy comments you get around Mother's Day can be hard to deal with - 'no one will ever love you more than your mother does'!!!) For this reason, it can be helpful to build up a network of a few close friends who understand the situation and can offer appropriate support at extra-hard times.

• Shelley
    Beginner September 2022 Government controlled area
    Shelley ·
    • Hide content
    Hi there I've just read your post and I think you should share parts of this in a letter to her, maybe from both of you . It's easily done drawing a line under it, but the guilt you would feel for your partner may hurt you as you have mentioned . At least then you have both worn your hearts on your sleeve about how you both feel then it's in her hands. You have done your part and if then she still wants to be akward then you can lift your head up high knowing you did your best for your future husband and that's all you can do.. it sounds like it's there loss and them missing out especially with potential grandchildren in the future .
    Your wedding day is about you and your future husband and all the people who love you, so having something toxic on the day may make your anxiety worse .. and you want the best day possible . I wouldn't have her there but we are two completely different people you do what you feel is necessary for your special day.. I hope it works out for you x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    This is one reason i am getting married with out family my family dont like my partner much even after 19 years so we are just having our three children x 💗 I wish you both all the best for the futute x💗
  • Tiffany
    Beginner May 2022 Lancashire
    Tiffany ·
    • Hide content
    I would without a doubt cut that family out of your life and not a chance in hell would they be at my wedding. I am so sorry your going through this but they are more than toxic. I fear your big day will end in tears. X
  • Jessica
    Beginner August 2021 Surrey
    Jessica ·
    • Hide content
    Oh no, what drama!

Yes of course your partner will need therapy not just because of this situation but also a lifetime of having a toxic mother.
    She has chosen to say no to not comingShe has chosen to be toxicShe has chosen to say and do nasty thingsShe has chosen to make both your lives miserable.
    This isn’t either of your faults or your choosing!
    Honestly, do not have her at the wedding and cut her out. Maybe your partner should write a letter saying why she cannot come and how the way she has treated you is the reason why they don’t have a relationship.
    This is your day and emotions will be so high, having the mother in law there will make it worst because you will constantly be on eggshells waiting for her to react about something. She sounds like a nasty piece of work.
    Remember, she is in control of her actions and if she chooses to say and do horrible things, then that’s fine but there will be consequences to her actions......for example, loosing her son and not seeing him on his happiest day.
    If you really really really want to try for the last time, Maybe the father can say something and make her see sense or maybe the son and the therapist can have a few sessions together? Family therapist?
    You want to look back on your day and remember all the people that supported you because they love you. This is one part of a special journey and NO ONE can ruin that.
    She honestly doesn’t deserve your pity

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics