Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Anonbride
Expert July 2023 Cornwall

Motivation to keep up with an exercise plan?

Anonbride, 5 of June of 2022 at 17:21 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 19
I hate to be this person, because I really want to be body positive and firmly believe FH loves me regardless.

HOWEVER, I’m not feeling my best self at the moment. I don’t need to lose multiple dress sizes, I still fit into my clothes, I’m just feeling a bit on the bigger side and not as toned as I have been. I’m very aware that’s down to me not exercising as much as I used to.
We have an engagement shoot in mid-July and I’d love to really keep up an exercise regime between now and then… my problem isn’t in disliking the exercise when I’m doing it, it’s making the effort to get up early/not make evening social plans/generally just get myself out of the house to do it!
Anyone got any good motivator tips?

19 replies

Latest activity by Alice, 17 of November of 2022 at 18:41
  • Claire
    Curious September 2022 Aberdeen & Deeside
    Claire ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the same boat. We get married in September, my deadline for losing weight is end of July so my dress can be altered in time.

Struggling so bad after covid, ugh...

Wish I had some more encouraging words, but you aren't alone!

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I find it's the starting that's the problem - when I'm doing it, I get into it!

Start small - even if it's just a brisk walk round the block on your lunch break or 10 minutes of exercise at home before dinner. Once you've built 'time for exercise' into your daily routine, it becomes a habit and much easier to do.

I also find it helps to have something to tick off so maybe a chart on the fridge which reminds you that you haven't done your daily stint yet. Also, try setting realistic goals - if it's losing weight, tell yourself you're aiming to lose x amount by the end of the month, if it's general health and stamina, then make it 'I want to be able to run to y point and back without stopping'.

If you have a friend who is also trying to get fitter, then buddy up with them - even if you can't exercise together, you can spur each other on by checking up on each other's progress. And maybe meet up for a walk or a swim occasionally.

• Sarah
    Dedicated October 2022 Swansea
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I feel you! You are not alone. A couple of suggestions that might help:

1. Set an alarm on your phone for certain times in the week to block off that slot - my partner and I both set alarms so we are accountable and encourage the other.

2. I try to pre-pay and pre-book one class a week. I find I won't make excuses if I pre-paid - or make plans to meet someone if you're doing something free so they keep you on track.

3. Try something new - I had got in a bit of a rut, but have found some new 20 minute exercise videos online that I enjoy, they are short enough to slot in my day, and keep me engaged.

4. Try combining exercise with a regular activity. My partner has started watching his favorite tv show on the exercise bike for 30 minutes, I'll go for a walk when I ring someone instead of sitting down when I talk to them - it's little, but it helps.

Agree with the advice above- keep it small, realistic - and remember to focus on all the positives/small wins!

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I totally get you they love us for us but when we not are self its understandable i do i lot of walking and exercise but im a fussy eater so find it hard to lose wait x put a planner on your fridge for certain days and the how long to do it for then set it on your phone also not much help me x💗
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    I have struggled with weight all my adult life not to massive excess but I am officially obese according to my BMI despite wearing a size 12. I’m probably about a stone heavier than I should be and put this on during lockdown. Im reasonably fit and healthy as I swim 40 lengths twice a week but when I see the scales I get very disheartened and it’s very slow to come off despite calorie counting. People have told me not to weigh myself and focus more on how my clothes feel but it’s hard I agree. I will try my dress on again this Friday after the alterations so I’m nervous even though it was too big last time round. The things we do to ourselves huh?!
    Good luck with your goals!
  • A
    Savvy August 2022 Greater Manchester
    Anna ·
    • Hide content
    Sounds a bit strange and definitely easier said than done but don't wait for motivation and just do. If you are always waiting for the perfect time it will never happen and you'll just end up telling yourself you'll do it later.

I've found that if I get up and get straight into my gym gear I will 99% of the time end up exercising because I'm already ready to go (not sure if that's an option with your work etc)

Also what is your goal? If its to lose weight and feel a bit more comfortable you are probably better off concentrating on your diet and eating healthier (being in a calorie deficit but in a controlled way and not eating too low calories as this isnt healthy and can cause binging episodes). Drinking plenty of water and getting plenty of good sleep also helps incredibly.

If its to feel stronger then definitely exercise - how are you with home workouts? Try to fit in a 10 minute workout a day. It doesn't seem like alot but it all adds up.
  • K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

It is never easy to stick to a regime of exercise, but I think what helps me is doing something I enjoy. For me I hate cardio and love weights, so I bought myself some weights and do workouts at home. You don't even have to choose something too strenuous, if the goal is to just feel better in yourself, you could go on walks somewhere you like, maybe try new walks you haven't been before to make it exciting. You could give swimming a go or bike riding, just anything active. It doesn't have to be going to a gym.

If you do want something a bit more like a gym and have the finances to do it, I can highly recommend group training classes. I attend a group PT session. I get the exercise but also the social aspect, as we all support each other and I feel accountable because I don't want to miss a class.

• Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone - it's nice to know I'm not alone!
    To answer a few questions in one... goal is to lose a little weight but mostly tone up. I have a gym membership and a gym plan, I woke up early yesterday to go for a swim and felt great for it, I also honestly enjoy it, but it means a pre-6am start for me to get there and get back in enough time to go to work so my motivation struggles definitely feel rooted in it feeling hard to get out of bed Smiley xd

I know I have evenings too, but I guess it's a post-Covid thing in that I find they all get booked up before I know it and then I struggle to say no to plans in favour of exercising.

I'm fairly good with my food as is - I'm not on the healthiest diet in the world, but I had an eating disorder a while back where I basically starved myself to lose weight, so my current diet is balanced and doesn't fall to either extreme; it's what I need to stick to to avoid reverting to seeing food as the enemy and something I should punish myself for eating. I also already drink tonnes of water!

Would be interested to here what 10min workouts people do around their working day at home?

• Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    I have found my social life has had to calm down a little in the wedding build up as I now keep at least 2 evenings a week and some weekend time free for exercise (but I am an evening person and don’t think I’ve ever managed to get up before 6 to exercise!). It’s tough but it’s not forever! Another option is to try and combine the two - I go climbing with friends and also have run/cycle buddies but there are many other options out there.

In terms of short classes at home, I have a subscription to Alo Moves - it’s got loads of different options - yoga, fitness (Hiit/emom etc), pilates and you can filter by intensity and time. Good luck - and don’t forget that your FH loves you for who you are (not any other version of you!)
  • A
    Savvy August 2022 Greater Manchester
    Anna ·
    • Hide content
    It sounds like you'll need a combination of tweaking your diet and exercise to lose weight and tone at the same time. Good to know you're drinking plenty of water already... I found that most difficult but noticed a real difference when I stayed hydrated.

I'm hesitant to suggest calorie counting as you mentioned you had an eating disorder before but this really helped me. To lose weight its all about calories in, calories out. You would have to do some calculations to make sure you're doing it safely and healthily. I personally found that it helped me understand foods alot better and helped me to make healthier choices without being restrictive. Sounds counter intuitive since you are trying to restrict your calories, but it means its fine to have that chocolate treat, or that dessert as long as you work it into your calories for the day. The key with it is to also try not to get yourself down if you don't stick to it. Life gets in the way sometimes, and that is 100% OK, just get back on it again the next day!
    I'm with you there in terms of struggling to get out of bed haha. In terms of home work outs, do you work from home? I find slotting it in during lunchtime just before lunch is good. Helps to break up the day as well. I actually started out using the happybodyplan during 2020 which was short 10 mins video every day and I was surprised how much it helped my fitness. Its changed since then though so can't say how it is now. I would recommend chloe ting and also lilly sabri on YouTube - both have free short videos you can slot it and do as you want but they also combine their various videos into challenges.

Most importantly don't put too much pressure on yourself... definitely not something you want to stress over in the lead up to your wedding 😊
  • Sarah
    Dedicated October 2022 Swansea
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Hi Chloe - I have tried a few videos from 'The Girl with the Pilates Mat' - https://www.youtube.com/c/TheGirlWithThePilatesMat I usually watch with subtitles on and then play my favourite music in the background. Also someone who has recovered from an eating disorder, and I do find the gentler pace of pilates videos give me a good workout but are kinder to the body! I have also just started exploring a few from this lady https://www.youtube.com/c/MovementWithCailin/videos

For something more upbeat try PopSugar Fitness https://www.youtube.com/c/POPSUGARFitness - they have everything from 5 minute workouts that target body areas to whole routines. Some of the short 5 min stretches are surprisingly good! Look after yourself, go gentle - and remember, whatever you do you, will be loved and look absolutely beautiful on your day xxx

• Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    I have a yoga app which has loads of short sessions, between 8-30 mins. Bit I'm a bit rubbish at that, even with the tracker. I try and cycle twice a week and track my ride and share on the family what's app group. Then my sister adds her gym class and my dad his walk.... that motivates too. I feel great once done, but you're right, getting over the leaving the house thing..... I have to force myself. Love cycling, but thighs are def bigger now than before, altho whole of legs and arse more toned!!!! Tummy still squidgy. Oh well. I feel fitter.
  • Valeria
    Beginner July 2022 Oxfordshire
    Valeria ·
    • Hide content

I used to be in the same, exact situation and a few months down the line, I haven't really dropped any sizes but I definitely feel more confident in my body. I used to be terrified by the gym for some reason but now I go 3 to 4 times a week because I actually... want to?

The few things that helped me personally have been 1) finding what you actually like to do. If you hate cardio for example, it's pointless to try and stick with it, you just won't. it's best to just do a bit of trial and error and find something you find more pleasant. I tried yoga, power yoga, barre, HIIT, mixed martial arts (GREAT if you need to destress, I used the Les Mills free videos on YouTube), weight training and now gym. Half of these things I couldn't bear to keep going for more than a month. Other than physically going to the gym, they were all from home and free

2) on the days you think you want to go to the gym, just wear gym clothes so you don't have an excuse. It seems silly but I lost count of the amount of times that I gave up because I had to change

3) sometimes you won't just do as well as other days and that's absolutely fine! the important thing is showing up and getting used to it, regardless of whether you show up for 15 minutes or 2 hours.

4) if you like to walk, just take long walks! It's great exercise! I used to do it during covid, and now I do it on the treadmill with an audiobook – win win!

I do really suggest you to find your own "time" working out, not even much for the weight/toning, but because when it'll come closer to the wedding it's a great way to have a bit of a break from the stress. I am so grateful to the me from the past for finally signing up to the gym so that now I can have a break from it all and don't have to stress over little details.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Hi hun you have got me motivated to do yoga and sort my food issue out if i done losem any im not to bothered hope its going well for you and thanks x💗
  • J
    Savvy April 2024 West London
    Joanna ·
    • Hide content
    Hi I think I'm going to join this thread. I'm starting a calorie controlled diet using fat secret app. Lost weight with them before. Need to start exercising so going to start with walking for now.
  • N
    Beginner May 2024 Kentucky
    NikoleB ·
    • Hide content

Great thread, thanks, everyone! I started working on losing weight several months ago. It turned out to be more complicated than I expected, but the hardest thing was to look for the moment when you finally see the result. I was lucky to find a good article about the first signs of losing weight here https://betterme.world/articles/ I should say, it became a good motivation as I was looking forward to seeing those from the list every time I stand on my scales and looked in the mirror.

• M
    Beginner September 2023 East London
    Melanie ·
    • Hide content

My motivation to keep up with the exercise plan is to look the way I will like myself when looking in the mirror. It's about confidence in my case.

• Lex
    Dedicated July 2023 West Yorkshire
    Lex ·
    • Hide content
    Find an exercise you enjoy! I HATE the gym but have recently discovered “The Fitness Marshall” through TikTok. He has paid subscription options to his Youtube channel and the work outs

Alternatively, could you and your partner commit to doing something together? I often find that when we both agree to going on a walk or doing some exercise, I’m more inclined to do it as he will motivate me
  • L
    Beginner January 2023 Greater Manchester
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've been pre-6am workouts for years now and every single morning i still try and talk myself out of it. My gym is near work so I tell myself that if I don't get up, I'll only regret it because I'll be stuck in the school run/rush hour and that's just a waste of time, and then I'll have to spend more time after work in the gym making up for it. Sounds silly but it works for me 🙂

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics