Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pook82
Beginner August 2012

Mrs C's cake stand

Pook82, 16 August, 2012 at 13:01 Posted on Planning 0 21

I'm pretty sure we're going to order our wedding cakes from M&S. I was just searching through old posts re M&S cakes and came across this picture of Mrs C's wedding cake. If Mrs C is on here can you tell me where it's from?! Or can anyone suggest where I can find a similiar one?

The reasons I'd like a stand like this are that I've heard the cakes are not that deep so look better displayed like this and also because we would like a fruit top tier and and M&S guidance says it's too heavy to go on top of the sponge tiers.

Sorry for the mahoosive pic!

21 replies

Latest activity by HLT, 16 August, 2012 at 20:55
  • *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, I'm not MrsC, but I have let her know that you've asked about this. She has recently moved in her office so she is unable to get on Hitched as much as before!!

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much, that's really kind of you!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

We ordered the m&s cake yesterday - we have gone for three tiers (large, medium and small) and have fruit on the bottom but the top two sponge. We ordered the pillars that came with it as I'm not so keen on these S shaped stands.

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you think it will be easy to set up with the pillars? I'm just a bit scared of ruining it!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Hello! Have managed to sneak on while the boss is out!

The cake stand was actually from the venue so I'm afraid I can't help with sourcing one... shouldn't be too hard to find though.

The cakes themselves are only about 2" deep so do need some form of stand or pillars to look like a full size wedding cake if that is what you are after. Some people don't mind shallow cakes though.

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Mrs C! I will have a bit of a google search to see what i can find, hope you didn't mind me re-flashing your cake!

• O
    Beginner September 2012
    OrdinaryGirl ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jules, I'm not sure whereabouts in the country you're based but I'm hiring a cake stand just like Mrs C's from a shop in Bromley (Kent) for £15 for the weekend and they have another shop in Sevenoaks. They also sell them through their website http://www.cakecraftworld.co.uk/products.asp?cc=18&scc=5

I'm sure other local cake shops would hire them too so might be worth phoning round.

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is really useful and my parents actually don't live too far from Bromley! Thanks so much!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I don't know, I hope not, although I didn't really think about that... I was going to get my sister to collect it and put it together for me. I guess you could always just stack them on top of each other but I think you'd have to out the fruit at the bottom - is that a possibility? I didn't really notice an issue with the depth to be honest, I looked at them in the shop and thought they seemed fairly standard.

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We only want a small fruit one so we were going to have the bottom two tiers sponge and then the top one fruit. I've not been able to find one in the shops to look at but I've seen quite a few reviews which say they're not that deep! I think I will see if I can buy/hire an s shaped stand and then if not, will expore the pillar option.?

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

If you're after an "S" stand go to your local cake decorating store. If you google it and your area you'll be able to find one. Hiring them isn't that expensive. If not look on places like "pre-loved" and "ebay".

Setting up pillars is a piece of cake (pardon the pun). There is actually dowling in the middle of the pillars that goes through the cake to the board the cake sits on. My dad does this job for my mum who makes the cakes. The dowling is covered by the pillars.

I went to a wedding once where the bride had champange glasses as her deviders, however she didn't put any dowling in the middle of the glasses and when she put one tier on top of the other it just smashed straight through the cake!!! If in doubt get some information from M&S

K

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Sorry just noticed that your parents live near Bromley. So do I. I would recommend this cake decorating store. My mum makes wedding cakes and she gets everything in here (including the stands which she hires!)

http://www.cakeexpectationslondon.co.uk/

K

• fairyfay
    Beginner September 2012
    fairyfay ·
    • Hide content

There seems to be quite a few for sale on ebay too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delightful-3-Tier-S-Design-Wedding-Cake-Stand-brand-new-/251130707125?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Celebrations_Occasions_ET&hash=item3a788e7cb5

• fairyfay
    Beginner September 2012
    fairyfay ·
    • Hide content

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delightful-3-Tier-S-Design-Wedding-Cake-Stand-brand-new-/251130707125?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Celebrations_Occasions_ET&hash=item3a788e7cb5

• fairyfay
    Beginner September 2012
    fairyfay ·
    • Hide content

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks karenanne229 I'll check out that shop now! Thanks too fairyfay!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Sorry my iPad doesn't allow me to quote...

I don't know I you'd be able to put the fruit on top with the pillars because of the weight...

Wish I'd noted the depth now. I have bought some ribbon - hope it's not going to be too wide.., :/

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mrs C said that the depth was 2 inches, looking at the ruler it does look ok, but that should help re the ribbon!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Thank you. My ribbon is about an inch. Too thick?? Smiley atonished

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

I think it will be fine, you'll still be able to see the cake and to be honest I'm sure that no-one would notice anyway!

I think I've come up with a cunning plan..... you can buy the cutting bars from M&S too so may just by 3 cakes in sponge for the tiers and then a cutting bar for the fruit cake which means I'll be able to tier!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My ribbon was 1" wide and looked fine Smiley smile

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Phew! Thank you Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇