Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

1234ABC
Beginner

Music During Wedding Breakfast? - Thoughts?

1234ABC, 16 of May of 2011 at 11:48 Posted on Planning 0 19

I'm trying to decide if it's worthwhile putting an easy listening play list together for the evening meal time, do you think this would be worthwhile? Is anyone else having music playing during their meal? what sort of music are you choosing?

19 replies

Latest activity by Felipe, 20 of November of 2023 at 08:15
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We'll be having a mixed playlist going, consisting of our favourite songs, submitted songs from guests who can't join us, and songs that remind us of those that are no longer with us, so it feels as though they are with us.

It'll be playing basically through the WB and evening before the speeches, then after the band have finished if there are a lot of people still milling around.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

TBH I haven't chosen anything specifically, but I will definitely be having music playing...either a playlist or a live musician...the boy is banning me from going on about these little details as we still have so long to wait, thank goodness for Hitched so that I can poke my nose into other people's planning

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Funny you mention this, we nipped to our venue on thursday lst week to see our DJs stuff all set up and the wedding coordinator was with him, she asked about it and yes, definatly having it. if the venue has a intergrated PA system then its a great idea!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

We are having an iPod playing through. Our rule is: no songs that will make people want to sing/feel like they would want to hear later on when dancing. It should be inoffensive and unobtrusive. T'is not the time for Rage Against The Machine (although that will be an evening song anyway)!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

The string quartet will be staying to play throughout our wedding breakfast.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Imdid put a playlist together for the ipod but our lovely pianist who was booked to play up until the meal said he was having fun so would stay until his next appointment which turned out to be just before the speeches which was great

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

Yup we'll be having an ipod playlist, which I'm gradually adding to between now and wedding. It will basically be all our favourite songs that are too mellow/ quiet/ slow to be played at the disco!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

Thank you ladies! I think we were thinking very much the same as you. Anything that's not really danceable, but we still like. I can't decide whether to allow any Christmas Songs onto our play list or not. I've been trying so hard to keep the wedding 'Winter' and not 'Christmas'.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

At a friend's wedding they had one of those pan pipes CDs playing and it was songs from films lol at first we thought it was a bit lame, because let's face it, it is but it got everyone talking because we were going 'Oh it's such and such a song' 'what film is this from' etc etc and it was pretty good fun

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I've got a couple of tracks that i've got instrumentals for that i love that from TV Adverts that have been on the TV recently. I let my OH hear them and he was like "Oh!! I know this, where have i heard it before!!" I like the idea of movie themes.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Our DJ will be playing some chilled songs. I think its nice to have background music. I went to a wedding recently where they didn't have any and it felt a bit strange. Think the ipod idea is a good one

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

We put together an Ipod playlist of fairly laidback, slightly lovey-dovey music. Twas nice actually - added to the atmosphere without drowning anything out. I'd recommend it for creating a relaxed atmosphere ?

• callbarney
    callbarney ·
    • Hide content

Generally when I am asked to provide background music I like to ask the couple a question... how would you describe the perfect mood at your wedding breakfast and from there I try to suggest what is suitable based on what they specified. More often then not you get responses along the lines of elegant, fun, romantic, engaging, captivating (although one time I did get a groom who said "not to suck" which I thought was quite funny).

My personal favourite style of background music is stuff like Michael Buble its not too upbeat to set the mood too excitable but its not too mellow so it creates a nice atmosphere and alot of his songs are orientated around the concept of love. My personal favourite is Paul Ankra's - Rock Swing... I urge you all to have a listen! He makes famous rock songs (like eye of the tiger, its my life, wonderwall, etc...) in to jazzy swing songs that are so perfect as everyone taps there feet and sings a long a bit but its not TOO strong. Have a listen here: https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Swings-Paul-Anka/dp/B0009A1BXG

I'm interested to see what you think of it? Generally it seems to always get a positive word upon sampling it.

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

We've bought a harp CD for background music. We thought it would be nice and relaxing and not something people would start singing to etc.

I would love to have a live harpist there but couldnt afford it. I know its not the same having a CD playing but its the closest I could get to the real thing! Lol.

• FutureMrsRon
    Beginner February 2012
    FutureMrsRon ·
    • Hide content

I didn't mean that music from films is lame, it was one of those pan pipes CDs that you buy off an advert which made it sooo lame ?

• BrideMrsT2B
    Beginner June 2011
    BrideMrsT2B ·
    • Hide content

We're having music during our wedding breakfast, just a mixture of nice background music, nothing too beaty

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

We've got a playlist of instrumental rock for the wedding breakfast - there's nothing worse than people trying to sing when they're eating! (Yes it does include various film themes - quite acceptable!)

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I think we'll just have a classical music wedding album playing discretely in the background.

• jordas20
    jordas20 ·
    • Hide content

A few of the most popular selections are here: https://www.celebratewithmusic.co.uk/recommendations.html

I'm a violinist and pianist and everything I've been requested to play over the last 18 months is on that list.

Hope that helps!

Simon

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics