Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Curious September 2022 Greater Manchester

Need some dress reassurance please :(

Kate, 22 of February of 2022 at 10:55 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 10

Need some dress reassurance please :( 1
So, I've bought my dress!
I was really happy at the time but think I'm having post-purchase wobbles (it's fully paid for, so no going back!).
It's a lovely dress, but not at all what I thought I would go for. I tried on on styles I thought I wanted, but didn't look good at all. The dress needs a bit of tailoring to pull it in at the waist, and I want to make the bust area look a little less squashed ( I'm big chested so this is a problem area for me). When I bought, the seamstress wasn't available in the shop - due to illness. I discussed the changes with the shop owner ( who was selling me the dress....) and she said that the changes I want are not a problem.I'm just feeling a bit unsure, as it's not what I was expecting to buy. I have a more defined waist/bust than the dress shows and I'm worried that the tailoring might not be able to do enough.Oh, and I sent m to mum a pic and she said "it's not what I would have chosen". Feeling a bit down about it Smiley sadWhat do you think?

10 replies

Latest activity by JimlFadetaupe, 25 of February of 2022 at 15:46
  • A
    Savvy November 2022 Leicestershire
    Amanda ·
    • Hide content
    I think a pic will never do the justice of seeing it on irl, and if you loved it at the time you will love it again! They will definitely be able to tailor it for you so try not to worry or look at pics too much.

It’s a lovely dress and I’m sure you will love it again once it’s all fitted!
    (Also ignore others opinions, as long as you like it who cares!)
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I totally agree with what amanda put once it is sorted you will feel better and you look lovely in it dont be put off you knew it was the one xx💗
  • N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    It looks lovely, even with the caveat of needing more work. It’s very sleek and classy and I think the detail around the waist will really emphasise your hourglass shape ☺️

I can empathise, I’m a busty gal and reflecting back on pictures of myself in my dress, while I loved it when I tried it on (and it wasn’t what I thought I wanted either!) I’m now fretting that the waist isn’t cinched enough and the bust clingy enough to make the most of my figure. However, I’m reassuring myself that the people in the shop know what they’re doing, so that when I go back for my next fitting it’ll be more defined around the waist and be more what I want. And if it’s still not quite what I want, they’ll be happy to do a bit more work to get it there - it’s what they do, and they know what they’re doing. If the woman in the shop says the waist/bust can be adjusted to achieve the look you want I’d believe her. It will look stunning!
  • Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    I think you look great - and it’s how you feel that really matters. Try and remember how you felt when you had it on. Also, as others have said, it will be even better once properly fitted to you.

I think it’s natural to have some degree of “oh my god, is it right” after buying your dress - our wedding dresses are such a big deal (even if I’m not sure they should be!) and it’s only natural to have doubts/wobbles. Just try and remember how it felt at the time
  • C
    Beginner August 2022 Hertfordshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    If you have a good seamstress they can do so much more than you think! They’ll definitely be able to pull the waist in and I think you’ll feel so much better about it once you see the alterations. Set up a meeting with you seamstress if possible asap. I was in the same position, met with her last week and she made me feel so much better about it. Also taking photos is the worst thing to do, no matter how good you feel when you try it on the photos will most likely make you regret buying it!
  • K
    Kate ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your lovely and positive comments - glad I'm not the only one who's had wobbles.

The seamstress is off work this week, but I hoping to see her as soon as I can, so I can stop worrying. (And I'll stop looking at the photos, and listening to other people too!)

I had planned to go for something more boho so my pintrest is full of floaty dresses. But, when I tried that style it, just made me look short and stumpy! A fitted style was totally out of the blue and I've not quite got my head around it yet.

• K
    Kate ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's my situation too, thanks for your comment.

As it is, I don't think it flatters my figure as much as it could regarding waist / bust definition. I do feel more reassured that the seamstress will be able to work wonders - I've never had a dress altered to fit before, but, as you say, these ladies know what they are doing - and I'm sure we'll both end up with the perfect fit! Smiley smile

• L
    Curious March 2022 Central & Glasgow
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    Picked my dress up from the seamstress today and I can't explain how much difference alterations have made. My dress was massive at the bust and hips with straps I didn't like. It was so big if I'd taken the straps off it would have fallen down. After alterations, it's like a completely different dress and fits like a glove. I'm very up and down with not much shape but they've worked some wonderful magic and apparently I now have a bust, waist, hips and a bum. I've also got some beautiful bespoke straps. A good seamstress will definitely be able to work wonders so definitely do not worry.
  • K
    Kate ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh, that's brilliant! Very pleased that your seamstress could show off your figureSmiley smile
    Thank you for your reassurance x
  • Kate7695
    Dedicated May 2022 East Riding of Yorkshire
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    You chose the dress for a reason and with the tailoring it will be different again. Don't under estimate a good seamstress. You will look stunning. It doesn't matter if its not something someone else would have chosen. This is your day! X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics