Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsB_2_be
Beginner August 2011

Newbie- venue ideas for the north east please!

MrsB_2_be, 13 August, 2010 at 15:57 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi! I'm new just got engaged last week and keen to get planning straight away because we'd like to get married next summer. I'm looking at venues in the north east (County Durham/Tyne & Wear/Northumberland) and would like a civil ceremony. Ideally I want to get married, have the reception and be able to stay all at the same venue. Anyone got any recommendations? There's so many decisions to make I feel a bit daunted at the moment but its all very exciting!!! x

21 replies

Latest activity by debmci, 17 August, 2010 at 08:53
  • lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, Congratulations!

I'm not from the North East so can be little help, but did go to a fabulous wedding once at Bamborugh (sp) castle, Northumberland it was so beautiful! They had their reception just down the hill at the victoria hotel but I think the castle could do it all - think they were cost saving, and it was lovely actually - we all had wine outside, overlooking the sea in the castle grounds after the ceremony and then walked down the hill (2 minutes) for the reception, who also did accommodation. Then a few years later Bamborough was on a programme listed as one of the top 5 prettiest places in England, it really was so lovely and picturesque.

I found the hitched guide pretty good though when we were searching for venues.

Good luck!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome to Hitched ? Lumley Castle is in Chester-le-Street and there is also Beamish Hall, both are stunning properties and you could stay there as well Jxx Good luck with the planning and us ladies here love a good flash of what you are planning!! Jxx

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content

Hi, congrats on getting engaged. We went to a beautiful wedding reception at Headlam Hall in County Durham 2 weeks ago. Don't know if they do a civil ceremony as well but may be worth a look xx

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I've never been up that way but wanted to say Hi and good luck with your planning!

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

I cant remember them all but here are a few

Beamish hall

Lumley castle

Ramside hall

Ellingham hall

whitworth hall

Headlam hall

Manor house hotel

hallgarth hall hotel

hallgarth manor (i think)

angel view inn

blackwell grange

rockcliffe hall

jersey farm

marriot durham

marriot gateshead "metro centre"

close house

dissington hall

jesmond dene house

Just depends on how far south you want to go...

or north.

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

What about Linden Hall?

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Even better

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-venues/northumberland.htm

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-venues/co-durham.htm

Most will offer accomodation, there are not many around which dont it just depends on what you are after.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hi MrsB-2-be

So many gorgeous venues in the north east - and covering a wide range of budgets too! Some of my favourites are Matfen Hall, Slaley Hall, Dissington Hall, Close House and The Jersey Farm Hotel (a really quirky boutique hotel!). Have you been to look at anywhere yet?

Ali x

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the quick reply ladies! We've bee and bought the engagement ring this morning and I'm picking it up tomorrow after its been resized ? People have been scaring me and saying that there won't be dates available for next summer but I've just rang a few and am booked in to see 4 next week with the dates free that we want for next year! I'm getting excited now hopefully soon we can set a date then I'll be able to add my own countdown on here ? x

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

Ooh thanks for the tip about the Jersey Farm Hotel never heard of it but just looked at the website and like what I see! I'll have to show the OH when he gets in from the football! x

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Jersey farm hotel:

Its one the lower end of the price bracket in terms of hotels i.e compared to headlam hall. but they have a huge room for the reception, small but nice grounds for pictures, they will allow fireworks, one wedding per day. The bridal suite is a must to see.

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No problem at all Smiley smile Is an interesting one to see, the food is excellent and is a good size venue if you fancy a ceilidh or a band for the evening do as there's lots of space. Let us know how you get on with the venues, enjoy looking round them all!

Ali x

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

Well I've got a packed week of viewing venues ahead of me! I've downloaded the questions to ask from on here (the can I land a helicopter in the grounds made me giggle!) Any other top tips of what to ask/look for? x

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Ooh have fun! Which venues are you going to see? Worth asking whether the prices they show you will be held for your wedding, or if they will increase for 2011 how much it's likely to be by.

Ali x

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Always check the bar price for drinks, Thats a major area your guests will be interested in.. ?

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

Just been to see a venue I hadn't heard of but my friend gave me an article about the 20 best place to get married in the north east and it came 7th. Dread to think what the following ones were like- it was horrible and looked like it needed a good clean ☹️ Hope the 2 tomorrow are better!

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Which one was it if you dont mind me asking?

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

Manor House Hotel in West Auckland. Supposed to be old fashioned and antique but in fact just looked worn out and grubby!

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

What are the others you are looking to visit? - I like being nosey plus i may have some useless knowledge to share.

Not sure i would have put that 7th i think it may be where they place the boundaries.

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

Going to Whitworth Hall and Otterburn Tower tomorrow. Any inside information on them?

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

I love whitworth Hall, take a look around all of its grounds, behind the venue is an old water mill and stone gazebo like building. plus the guests and kids (supervised) can go off in to the deer park for a little bit.

Now between the 2 i think it will be down to the style you are after as they are very different but both nice places.

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

O fabulous!! Congrats on your engagement!! Im not able to help with your venue search as im in NI, however, there are loads of girlies on here from all over...im sure the suggestions will be flying in soon!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics