Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner April 2010

No speeches, no first dance. Opinions please.

Baz183, 15 January, 2010 at 13:38 Posted on Planning 0 18

Just what the title says really. What are your opinions on having no speeches and no first dance?

Reason I ask is that OH really doesn't want to do either. He hates being centre of attention (is probably the best way to describe it) so doesn't like the thought of everyone watching him (my dad is the same). I don't want him looking back on the day and thinking that he didn't enjoy anything except the evening once speech and dance were out the way. I wanted to have both but I'd rather him enjoy the whole day and not worry about it. I said that we didn't have to have them but he's gone off on one about it being 'expected'. So thought i'd see what yor views are on this. Thanks

18 replies

Latest activity by kazndave, 15 January, 2010 at 21:30
  • GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

No problemo!

Tis your wedding, do you what you like! There are many things that are traditional in a wedding - ut by traditional means that everyone does it so now it's the expected / the norm. Doesn't mean you have to do it.

• K
    Beginner May 2011
    kaz9274 ·
    • Hide content

I agree its your day so have it your way!

The only thing I would say is everyone does look forward to the speeches especially the best man's speech! Will he be doing 1?x

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

My sis didn't have any speeches - and they didn't have a disco, so there was no first dance. At a friend's wedding they just started off the first dance for about a minute and then asked a few couples to join them - Me+OH, the bride's brother etc, so it wasn't everyone staring at them - would that be an idea?

Re the speeches, I think that if neither OH or dad want to do them, then why should you? Or another option may be to have them before the dinner?

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Like others have said its your wedding so you can choose.

If you dont want to go with out though how about asking your mum to make a speech and the best man, or choose a song for first dance and welcome everyone to join you so its not just the two of you.

• M
    Beginner
    michelle_123 ·
    • Hide content

I am in exactly the same position, my h2b doesn't want to do the speeches or first dance.

Both of these things are things I really want to do but am willing to compromise on it as it will be our day and we have both got to enjoy it. i am personally more upset about not having the first dance as opposed to the speeches so I May work on h2b on that part (i do have 4 years - so I may get somewhere).

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

Could you maybe get them to pre-record something so they don't have to do an actual speech on the day? Your OH could put together a photo montage of pics of the two of you, places that are special to you and other random stuff like that, set some music to it and then have it played on a projector screen so all he has to do on the day is say "I hate public speaking so I made this for you instead" and hit play. Your dad could do similar but have baby pictures of you, quotes from famous people about how proud he is of you.

Basically it's anything goes, and the more original the better - I don't think it's necessarily "expected" that speeches will happen, just that something will happen to fill in the gap between sitting down and starting to eat (or to round off the meal if you'd normally have them afterwards).

As far as the first dance is concerned just ask the BM and MOH to go along with you after the first 10 seconds.

• B
    Beginner April 2010
    Baz183 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all. This is what I was trying to say to him.

I think it'll have to be no speeches at all rather than just the BM. This is because the BM is OH's 12 year old son and OH is already feeling embarrassed that his son is keen to do a speech and he's not.

I think the dance I can get round. I can ask my bridesmaids to join us from the start with their other halves and one of the ushers with his other half. Perhaps we could have a 'bridal party first dance'. I've also said we could have a couple of dance lessons too.

Think i'll see how that idea goes down.

Thanks all

• Amethyst
    Beginner October 2010
    Amethyst ·
    • Hide content

A wedding doesn't have to have speeches or a first dance - don't feel pressured to do anything you don't want to - it's your day!

• B
    Beginner April 2010
    Baz183 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

AlmostMrsP - what a great idea! I'll run this past him too. That way, there won't be any 'why didn't you have speeches'/'when are the speeches' questions it'll just look like we've tried to do something different.

I knew this was the place to come for advice haha. You are all wonderful.

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sarahv75 ·
    • Hide content

I am in the same situation! My H2B is a really outgoing bloke but really doesn't want to have the whole speeches thing and first dance. We get married in 14 weeks so haven't got much time if i'm to persuade him! Personally I'm not too bothered about it as I have a family situation going on (my dad will be there but as I don't really know him very well, he won't be doing a speech... long story).

• N
    Beginner April 2010
    numptymoo ·
    • Hide content

Im not having a first dance or speaches !

its my day , if no one likes it its tough!

do what makes you feel happy not what will make others happy!

the way i see it i always go out of myway to make other people happy first , for one day its all about me & my partner !

• B
    Beginner April 2010
    Baz183 ·
    • Hide content

We now have a much happier groom. He's is much happier about a wedding party first dance so that's what we're going for.

I also ran the idea about a photo speech past him and he thinks he might try and combine a normal speech with this so he speaks for a bit but nothing too much.

Thanks for all your help!

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

I'm also dreading the first dance so I know how he feels! I do think it'd be a shame to deny his son the opportunity to do a speech though if he's already looking foward to it. Would you consider saying anything yourself? I think it's more important that your H does the thanks than a big gushy speech - could he just run through them and do a combo of that and the photos?

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

Its your wedding so have it your way not how or what you think others expect, its quite traditional to be very un-traditional these days!! x

• MsJackson78
    Beginner March 2010
    MsJackson78 ·
    • Hide content

Your day, Your way is my motto. I suppose it depends on how formal the rest of the reception is as this can often determine how much you stick to the 'norm'. However if you and the OH are happy with what you decide then thats enough, too many people can get involved offering their opinions especially if other people are paying as well.

The day should be about pleasing you and the OH. Hope you get what you both want.

• B
    Beginner April 2010
    Baz183 ·
    • Hide content

Hello Sunshine - Both OH & I agree that it's not fair to not let his son do a speech as he wants to. That kind of means OH has to because he won't want it to be a case of his 12 year old son can but he can't. He's said he's going to keep it brief and we'll do them before dinner to get it out the way.

MsJackson78 - It's not going to be too formal. We're not having a traditional top table (family issues) so its just me & OH and his son and daughter. we've asked the venue to try to keep things relaxed.

• Steelgoddess
    Beginner June 2010
    Steelgoddess ·
    • Hide content

What abou having the first dance as FAMILY ONLY and doing speeches but only the best man, bm etc do speechs...

no one has to do anything they dont want to on their wedding day

xx

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have speeches or a first dance at our reception.

Afterwards though, I did wish we'd had a song, or something like that that we'd remember as being special to our big day....

None of our guests made any comment though, but our reception was more informal than most!

• K
    Beginner April 2010
    kazndave ·
    • Hide content

My H2B was best man a couple of years ago. they did the speeches after the meal n he couldn't enjoy his dinner, he was up n down more times the a yo-yo in a playground to the loo.

He started off not wanting to do a speech for our wedding but when he realised he doesn't have to talk for 5-10 mins n can get away with a quick 'thanks for coming, the bride looks gorgeous n so do the bridesmaids' type thing he's quite happy. we are doing them before the meal tho, get them out of the way early on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics