Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Nurses and wedding rings

26 September, 2012 at 19:15 Posted on Planning 0 37

I'm struggling to figure out what to do about my wedding ring. I can't flash because I'm on my phone, but I've flashed the rings before, if anyone can hunt it down on the engagement ring thread.. The engagement ring has a bigger diamond at the centre and then six little diamonds both sides on the shoulders. So a half eternity ring looks really fantastic with it. My hubby2b really wants me to have it because it looks so good together, BUT as a nurse I can only really wear a plain band.

What have you nursing Hitchers got? My solution is an uber thin plain band (think almost paper clip thin), and on the wedding day he'll make the vows with two rings, the bling and the paper clip. Then I can wear the paper clip at work, and bling when I'm let loose.

So.... In order looking at my hand:

engagement

paper clip

bling

Any thoughts?

37 replies

Latest activity by ~Peanut~, 28 September, 2012 at 12:24
  • Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Not a nurse, but I'm a paramedic and have similar issues (and 18months of my solitaire e-ring slicing through gloves on a regular basis!). My e-ring also sounds like yours. (1ct solitaire with 6 diamonds on each shoulder)

I went for this:

which has engraving and tiny flush set diamonds (really really tiny, almost unnoticeable really but enough to add interest). I didn't want a half-eternity style since to me, an eternity ring is not a wedding ring. It looks lovely with my e-ring when I choose to wear both:

• ladyworm
    Beginner October 2012
    ladyworm ·
    • Hide content

I think that's a great idea! I work in a hospital too but not clinical, and see most women with a plain band, or their blingy wedding ring on a chain around their necks.

• firefairy
    Beginner June 2013
    firefairy ·
    • Hide content

I'm a med student and will be a new F1 when i get married. I have a v pretty E-ring which is oddly shaped with a triangular tanzanite ston and then some smaller stones. So I'm having a plain wedding band made, but one shaped specially to fit with it. So at work I will jsut have a plain wiggly band, but when I wear them both together outside it'll look lovely

• Doris 5/10
    Beginner May 2013
    Doris 5/10 ·
    • Hide content

I am having 2 rings.........one to fit engagement ring and one plain ring for work.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Im a nurse, Ive just got a plain wedding ring I only want 1 ring I dont like the idea of swapping and changing x

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    Lauralillypete23 ·
    • Hide content

I am in my second year of nurse training I was thinking about this as I have to take off my engagement ring n I hate it!!!! But I do like the idea of having a thin plain band and then something glam!! Sounds perfect! Xxxx

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Thank you Smiley smile

It's from here http://www.dennisandlavery.com/platinum/wedding-rings/womens-designer-platinum-wedding-rings-princessa.php

(and no, we didn't pay the website price)

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

LOL!! My husband fretted constantly about the possibility of some random nutter cutting my finger off for my e-ring! Given some of the lowlifes we deal with it's not an unreasonable fear, but if anyone has commented on the size of it, I've always laughed it off saying it's out of a Christmas cracker!

• katiechops
    Beginner June 2013
    katiechops ·
    • Hide content

Im a nurse but am very naughty and still wear my engagement ring ?, we are allowed a plain band so I just spin it round if we get an inspection ha. xx

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Hahaha my cousin is a physiotherapist and does the same - wears her rings and spins them if there is an inspection!

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    Lucieaew ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I work in a hospital Aseptic unit so am in the same position as you. I've had the ring I want, stones and all. I will take it offf and put it in my locker with my engagement ring then put back on when I leave work. When I was first engaged I only used to wear my ring at weekends but got fed up of that.

Also because of all the alcohol rub we have to use I dont want it to tarnish my beuatiful ring.

Things we do for the NHS eh!

• N
    Beginner November 2013
    Nadgerly ·
    • Hide content

I am a midwife and I will just be having a plain silver band. Mainly due to The Skintness but also because it's more practical.

N x

• ladyworm
    Beginner October 2012
    ladyworm ·
    • Hide content

I completely agree with you, it is risky, whethe you work with a 3 year old or an 83 year old patient!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I'm a doctor and I just wear a plain white gold band. My ER is only for at home. I thought about getting a necklace to hang the ER on but I was too worried I'd lose it or that one of the dodgy characters in A&E might make a grab for it!

I have seen loads of staff (including the chief nurse at my last hospital!) wearing blingy ERs and just spinning them round when the infection control team are nearby, but I couldn't do this because a)I'd be worried it would rip my gloves when doing a procedure and b)it just starts to feel all gunky and gross if I alco-gel it all the time.

• R
    Beginner
    Rosie_posie ·
    • Hide content

I have a huge rock! I wear it round my neck on a mega long chain, and tuck it into my bra so I know it's there :-p I work in ITU so you can imagine how well a ing like min would go down. I hate having to take it off :-(

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

We arent allowed chains of any form at our trust Smiley sad

• natally
    Beginner August 2014
    natally ·
    • Hide content

Same here, so although I wanted the bling to go with my engagement ring, going to be practical with plain band engraved on the inside.

• erincat
    Beginner August 2013
    erincat ·
    • Hide content

Im not sure what I willl do, I dont want a plain band so think I'll probably take my rings off for work....

I used to wear my engagement ring when I was on nightshift when no1 would notice but lost it one night & found it in the bin!! (I blame nightshift brain!) Was a horrible feeling thinking I'd lost it so no expensive sparkles coming to work with me again!

• natally
    Beginner August 2014
    natally ·
    • Hide content

Stunning !

• Emily-Toni
    Beginner February 2013
    Emily-Toni ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have a tanzanite engagement ring! Mines not a wiggly shape but the tanzanite is the central stone and is 3cts so pokes out a lot, im not a nurse but have finished uni and am trying to join the police so I won't be wearing the tanzanite when there as its not as hard a stone as diamonds. So will be looking to get my wedding ring made.

• C
    Beginner October 2012
    chocolatetiger1 ·
    • Hide content

I have my hands in lots of dreadful places at work (enough said!!) and I don't like the idea of losing a rock or more importantly what could grow around the grooves. My OH knew this and instead we picked an engagement ring charm for my charm bracelet that I only wear at home . It was about £900 cheaper than engagement rings I like so he didn't complain at all! I also believe that in health care professions that unfortunately uniform is uniform and is there for a reason (whatever marital or religious status you are) - I quite happily wear my boring uniform with no bling and my hair scraped back. I look pretty drab but for me it makes the distinction much better when I get home and showered and changed. I do know that for some ladies who are more trendy and more superstitious than me my view wouldn't do Smiley smile

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

That silver coloured one is SO much like mine! wish I knew they were normal in Norway - took me AGES to find what I wanted!

• Soon2bMrsCB
    Beginner July 2014
    Soon2bMrsCB ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Iv got a pear shaped diamond on platinum with diamonds either side, my OH gave me an eternity ring after the birth of our son last year so im going to have a plain 3mm platinum band to go underneath my ER.

hope it works, my first flash!!

x

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Mrstobe2013 ·
    • Hide content

This post is brill! Just what I need! At work at the moment the nurses aren't allowed to wear rings, this includes wedding rings, however everyone else is allowed. I am going to bring the issue up with them as I feel very strongly about having to remove my wedding ring when I have it when no one else has to. All I am having is a plain band as my engagement ring is very simple. Wondered what policy the nhs/carers had and this has helped lots!

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

I don't wear my engagement ring, who knows what bugs would grow in it, no thanks! I do wear my wedding ring, it's got three diamonds that sit flush but no-one notices.

• Soon2bMrsCB
    Beginner July 2014
    Soon2bMrsCB ·
    • Hide content

Thank you mrsyard2b! my OH is not your typical romantic type but did well on this! he actually proposed with another ring (which was gorgeous just wasnt a real diamond!) he said he wanted me to be able to chose my ring, after about 3 months of looking around (im not that fussy, honest!) my OH spotted the ring in the window and he said 'thats the one' I didnt really like it TBH but i tried it on and fell in love with it!!!

Im hoping a simple band will still look ok as im not a great jewllery fan so dont want it to look OTT!!

?

• L
    Beginner August 2010
    louisep ·
    • Hide content

I went for a plain white gold band with 3 very small diamonds in it x

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I have the same problem, the ring I want to get that matches my ER has stones set in. I'll probably go with that one and do the spin it around if anyone inspects trick. I thought about buying a second plain band for work but I don't really like the idea of having a "fake" ring.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics