Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ali_G
Beginner October 2012

Oh nooo, what should I do? May have left my straighteners on...

Ali_G, 25 of January of 2013 at 09:12 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 21

There's a possibility I left my straighteners on this morning.

It's more than likely I turned them off, but I didn't check before I left the house like I normally do, so they might be on. I always unplug them, but I don't remember doing it this morning.

What should I do?

They're on the heatproof mat, but the heatproof mat is on my wicker laundry basket, which I'm sure could probably catch fire if left long enough.

Someone tell me what to do? Should I go home at lunchtime to double check, or will that be too late?

21 replies

Latest activity by Ian, 29 of January of 2024 at 21:27
  • BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content

What make are they? I'm sure my GHD's have a cut off after a certain time. I would go home and check as I would just worry.

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

How far do you live away from home? I'm always doing this and they are always turned off but I would go for piece of mind!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I'm about 9 miles away from home, which is about 15/20 minutes on a good day.

The thing is, if they're going to catch alight and burn the house down, it will happen within 3 hours wont it?

I'm trying to find out whether they have an automatic switch off. They're old Remington ones, which were discontinued many years ago - I think I've had them about 5 years.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

When I thought I'd done this I phoned my neighbour who went in and checked. I hadn't left them on - it was just that switching them off is so automatic I'd not registered the action.

I'd go home and check anyway. You won;t have any peace of mind until you find out.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Do you think they'll be ok until lunch time? (about 12:15ish)

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If they're on a heat proof mat, personally I think they will be but I don't really want to say that just in case, IYKWIM?!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

They're Remmington I think.

My GHD's don't do this anyway - they must be a much older model. I have had them years though.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this happens to me!!

I have to check about 4 times before i leave the house.

Ive got into the routine now of unplugging then and putting them on the bathroom floor which is stone to cool. that way I know Ive unplugged them.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't chance it, I would make my excuses and go check. I've seen what happens when an entire house is burn to a crisp, everything gone, it's not worth the risk.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Much more sensible answer than mine.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't like to say they'd be ok, just in case. I would go home at lunch and check. I never remember turning my straightners off...it's an automatic response when you have finished, so you just forget you;ve done it. So many times I have had to call OH (who is usually in bed after a night shift Smiley atonished) or have turned around on my way to work to check.
    Once I we went out allllll day and I didn't think I'd left them on....came home at 8pm to find them on! Luckily they were ok (even though htey were on the wooden computer desk!).

The worst it when we stay at PIL's....I always worry I've left them on. Burning down your own home is one thing, burning down your OH's parent's house is a completely different thing...esp when you can't say "can we just go back and check..."

Hope it turns out to be just a worry Ali, but go home and check to make sure.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I'm definitely going to go home and check.

I'm almost certain I would have habitually turned them off, but this could be the one time that I didn't. And I don't want to chance it.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think if they are on a heat proof mat then they will be absolutely fine until lunch time. I would definitely go home and check though just in case.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

It's going to play on your mind until you check them so I'd suggest going as soon as your able. With any luck you'll find them switched off and it'll be a 'wasted' trip but it will make you rest easy!!

I used to do this all the time when I was a teenager, I'd get to the bus stop to go to school and then ring home and get whoever answered to check!!

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content

I know someone who left her switched on straighteners on the bed all evening and although she got a big burnt hole in her duvet it didn't do any more damage, so I'm sure yours will be fine if they're on a heatproof mat.

I would definitely pop home at lunchtime to check just so you don't have to worry about it all day!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I'd pop home Ali, you'll only worry all day otherwise.

I know someone who, every day without fail, texts her sister to say, "I've turned off my straighteners and locked the front door" then later on if she worries, her sister can remind her that she must have done those things and the text is proof!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I went home.... and they were off! Doh!

Oh well, peace of mind and all that.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hurrah! I make a mental (ie conscious) note of "I have switched off my straighteners" now, just so I don't forget I'd remembered. if you get me!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

The trouble is Jojo, I'd probably forget whether I sung the song or not!

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

My OH always tells me I've left my straighteners on when I've switched them off but left them plugged in too!

Someone I went to college with used to worry he hadn't locked his front door, so would do something different after locking it every morning, like clapping or spinning round. It must have look strange, but it probably helped him to remember if he'd locked the door!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics