Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

freb2reh
Beginner July 2011

Older bride, non church venue, to veil or not to veil?

freb2reh, 14 of June of 2011 at 09:18 Posted on Planning 0 41

Well as it says really. I am, I guess you could say, an older bride - will be 40 by the time of the wedding. I am also a second time around bride and we are not getting married in a church. My quandary is; i think I would like to wear a veil but I do have some reservations. Although it is my second time around my first wedding was a very low key affair in a registry wearing an Ivory skirt suit, so this is the first and hopefully the last time I will ever get the opportunity to be "the bride" or as OH would say 'my Princess day!" (his words not mine). Do you think I would be pushing my luck with wearing a veil? Or are my age and venue against me. I do not want to look like mutton dressed as lamb, and as much as I would love to wear a veil I am wondering if maybe just a couple of flowers in my hair may be more suitable.

41 replies

Latest activity by Carol, 19 of July of 2023 at 20:58
  • Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Im not having a church and have decided not to have a veil. It is entirely your choice though. If you want a veil have one Smiley smile If you're worried about the venue not being a church etc why not go for a shorter veil? What is your dress like? I would be thinking of whether your dress would suit a veil more than anything else xxx

• *Marmite*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Marmite* ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, I think a full on veil would be a bit too much. A birdcage one could look lovely, depending on whether it would suit your dress - do you have a picture? Otherwise I think fresh flowers always look good.

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

OP I am going to be 40 on my wedding day too. Like you this is my second time.

I say if you want a veil why on earth shouldn't you wear one! I am having a civil ceremony too and I am wearing ivory and I am going to wear a veil too! Its the only day of our lives we get to wear a dress like that and also a veil so go for it!

With a marriage already behind me and two children and one step-son, I think its highly unlikely anyone believes me to be a virgin! I'm not wearing white because I think that would be pushing it but definitely wear a veil if you want one!

xxx

• skyrocket
    Beginner July 2012
    skyrocket ·
    • Hide content

What Trickers said!

xxx

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

The only reservation I would have is that I don't think a long veil would go with your outfit... a birdcage veil would though :-)

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She hasnt said what she is wearing...?

I think she ought to wear a veil... Im going to be 44 when we get married next year and I am absolutely wearing a veil, this is my 2nd time round too and my first wedding "outfit" was pretty shocking so this time I am going out all guns ablazing... big dress, veil etc... If it makes you happy and feel good then do it and sod the age thing!!

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

I'll be 38, getting married in a hotel and am wearing a veil. Go for it!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I was a 2nd time Bride at 41 & wore a veil. If you feel comfortable then go for it, I loved mine seen here with my dad:

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

OH, I see- I mis-read it then...

In that case, age doesn't matter, it would just have to work with whatever your wearing ?

• One Big Day Photography
    One Big Day Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Herer here wear what you want! I don't think you have to be young to wear a veil at all ( a mini skirt maybe unless you're Shirley from Eastenders! lol) I photographed lots of older brides, some have worn veils...long & short and some haven't doesn't make any difference x

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Wear the veil if you want to. You will look beautiful because you are wearing what you wanted and marrying the man of your dreams. Sod anyone else!!

A non-church wedding is no less of a wedding, and you are no less deserving of your 'Princess day' because of your age, venue or anything else under the sun!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

PS I am marrying in a reg office and will be wearing a veil.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Another plus for us oldies wearing veils... it'll hide the wrinkles?! ?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too KV, me too... a full-length one to boot ?

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content

Well this is my dress. Obviously my hair will be a tamed on the day! I don't think a birdcage would work though.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

WSS. Maybe try one on with matching lace? I'd try on a few and see which ones you like!

PS: I would never have guessed you were 40! So even less reason to worry ?

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thankyou Trickers. After reading the comments I am definitly feeling more inclined to opt for a veil. The one i have my eye on is just a plain pencil edge cathedral length - nothing like going all out! ?. I thought a plain one would be best as there is plenty of lace detail on the train already.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

You look beautiful, your dress is lovely and a veil would look great ?

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Also, I agree- not birdcage, and sorry FMJ NOT lace- the dress is very lacy, anymore lace would be overkill IMO. I am not sure which length- I think ANY length would look good with this dress- try some different ones on and see which you like.

• MrsWill2b
    Beginner March 2013
    MrsWill2b ·
    • Hide content

You look stunning! I also misread your first post and thought you were wearing a skirt suit for the wedding but that dress you are wearing can definitely carry off a veil. A full length one too! Go for it. Your guy is a lucky man ?

I am also an older bride - will be 48 when I tie the knot! I'm wearing a full length dress with a train no veil but will be wearing a side tiara. Older brides rock!!

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

You are GORGEOUS! Wear a veil...in fact, wear a bin liner, you are going to look amazing in anything let's be honest

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No need to be sorry... I am rubbish at picturing what things will look like LOL!

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

You look fantastic, a veil would complete your look Smiley smile

xxxxx

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

You do look great and I love your dress. I would go for a veil if it's what you want, it would look lovely. I will be a 40 year ol 2nd timer too but am going without one. My dad and sister said to me "you are not going to wear a singing dancing white dress with a veil this time are you?" ? which made me conscious but I have made the decision myself it isn't what I want this time, but I am having a white dress, s*d them!!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Definately yes - a veil would look good with that dress.

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content

Now you have pointed out the difference, I agree, cut edge would look better. Don't suppose you could recommend anywhere that is good quality but not too expensive?

Thank you for all the feedback everyone. The hunt is on for a long (I think it's called cathedral length), ivory, plain, cut edge veil! ?

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I would go to UK Wedding Veils- I got mine from there. You build your own however you want it. They are fast and the quality was great :-)

http://www.ukweddingveils.co.uk/

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Can't really offer any advice as I'm also in the "to veil or not to veil" camp, but just wanted to say that I love your dress and there is no way you look 40!

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

Wow you look blummin 30 anyway ! I will be 43 when I get married 2nd time around. I worried about a veil but everyone said have it. I have decided against though ( I think ) but am thinking maybe a birdcage veil. But that is only a choice made by how it looks on me personally ! I think you will look lovely in a veil and your dress is fab. Go for it !

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    OZZYGIRL ·
    • Hide content

If you think you will look back on your wedding day and wish you had worn a veil def do it. Age or where you are getting married has nothing to do with it. The type of veil depends on the style of your dress. I will be 51 on the day and was going to wear a shoulder length veil pinned to the back of my head. My sis siad she was really hot wearing hers and the fact that I get flushed when I am nervous put me off. I am not intending on doing this again so I am having everything I want even if sometimes I have to modify it to be within budget. I do not want to look back and think 'if only' x

• catann
    Beginner October 2010
    catann ·
    • Hide content

Hi Must agree a birdcage would not go with this dress. I was 36 whan I got married and I was worried about the age issue. Yes your right you don't want to look mutton dressed as lamb.

I think an ideal veil would be the type that come from the nape of your neck and some flowers or side tiara in your hair.

When your not in your 20's I do think you need to be a bit more careful with your choice or dress/veil/headpiece.

Enjoy your planning. Wish it was me again!!!

Here is my wedding dress..... I loved it and my wedding day...

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having a church wedding, I'm having a garden wedding in the gardens of our venue. I have decided not to have a veil as it felt and looked wrong on me. So instead I have invested in some hair extensions. I already have long hair but my extensions give me much fuller hair and I am having a flower comb with some sparkly crystals put into my hair.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics