Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Penny P
Beginner March 2014

Ooops! Over budget....

Penny P, 18 of December of 2013 at 07:54 Posted on Planning 0 15

...and not finished yet!

I've just done a quick add up and we're over budget by £400 and we haven't finished yet! We've been really quite strict with our budget and added every little thing no matter how small.

How's your budget going??

15 replies

Latest activity by Hotchilli999, 19 of December of 2013 at 14:03
  • *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

We were really silly & didn't set a budget but had a figure in mind as to what we wanted to spend.

We are way over that. I only realised what we had spent when someone in our office said she was planning to get married next year & asked how much I'd spent. I did a quick totalling up & got a bit of a shock. We've just been buying bits one at a time.

My own fault for not setting a budget & trying to stick to it!! Let's hope I don't spend too much more!

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

Waaaaay over budget! I think i would have a mini heart attack if I actually added it all up so I wont.

I didnt realise 9 months ago i would need trees and lanters to name but a few things I didnt account for, all 100% needed of course .... ?

• mademoisellous
    Beginner
    mademoisellous ·
    • Hide content

Well i just manage 2 weddings these 2 months (my cousins) and almost 5k over budget. to blame : additional photographer & flowers.

Yes agree with you, the always be "something" on the way we think we need to add to make it perfect Smiley smile. so where the 400 go ?

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

We're another pair who didn't set a budget. we wanted to keep things reasonable, but basically said 'it costs what it costs and as long as we can afford it without our cubs suffering, sod it- let's do it!'

having said that we're over what we'd have like to have spent. vastly.

but i think the same is true of many couples, no matter their budget. a forum bride friend had a budget of £1000 all in and her costings doubled. work colleague had a budget of £30K and still managed to go over!!

power to those girls and boys who stick to their budget or even manage the miracle of coming in under, but i don't think we should feel awful about going over. in a constantly inflating industry, it's hard to set a budget in 2011 for a wedding in 2014 and not have some prices go over our original estimations. how you deal with the over budget expenditure is the make or break queation :/ one we're in the process of figuring out.

at the end of the day, things for the children and bills come first from wages etc, so i'm gonna wager our retirement savings will have to give us a loan (does make me laugh that we're 26 and 30 and already have 'retirement savings' lol) re the wedding!

• F
    Beginner February 2014
    Follies123 ·
    • Hide content

Over budget here too! And I'm just now getting final figures for flowers drinks and they are all more than we were wanting to spend :-S! xx

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Over more or less. I only wanted to spend 7k but its nearer to 9k. All thanks to groomzilla! trust me. Theres lots of cheap venues i would of gone for but he hated them all simply on price. to make thing easier theres no honeymoon, no wedding cars and a lot of stuff like cake flowers etc are donated as wedding presents Smiley smile

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

I need to do some totting up, but I think we may be on track, but only because we had budgeted for 20 more daytime and an additional 30 evening guests who are now no longer coming. If our original list were to turn up, I think we'd have more problems!
    We're lucky in that we have people working in the right places (dresses, jewellery, stationery, graphic design, MUA, DJ, band) so a lot of the big costs are being knocked down in that way. Having said that though, I reckon my original venue dressing estimate will only be half of what I actually do end up spending!

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

We have gone over budget by double but that's because I was naive about how much things cost. Our ceremony, reception and food totalled what we thought that whole wedding would cost. Fortunately we have had a longish (20 month) engagement so we have been able to pay for everything out of salaries than savings.

x

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

We're about 2k over our original estimations (I say estimation rather than budget because we never set a concrete budget, more of a projection of what we would save). This is not including the honeymoon. I need to keep reminding OH that the honeymoon is a separate budget so he doesn't have a meltdown (the honeymoon cost more than our original wedding budget haha).

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Around 4k under budget at the moment... although we didn't budget as such, we just knew what we had in savings and now know what we expect to have left after we've finished paying everything. We haven't been deliberately frugal, we've just managed to get what we want at a good price.

• Chippet
    Beginner January 2014
    Chippet ·
    • Hide content

I too did an estimation rather than budget, but are currently £1000 under with just a couple of presents to buy. That includes things we've paid for that I didn't even think of at the time - for example giving notice fees.

Am pretty pleased with myself (sorry), if OH hadn't gone for the expensive suit, I think everything would have come in under what I thought it might!

Honeymoon on the other hand is more expensive than if like, but hey, we've haven't been away for over a year.

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

We have managed to keep it under control, but I have to confess is because OHs are helping us with about 20% of it, and my parents are paying the flights for the family to come over. Otherwise we'd either be over it or cut stuff we'd like in to keep it reasonable!

I also don't tend to add small things so it might be over by now and I wouldn't know ? shame on me.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We didn't really set a budget, just estimated really. Some of it has been under, some over. There's still a few bits and bobs that I need to get and am worried a tad about the money but overall we're not doing too bad.

• H
    Beginner May 2015
    Hotchilli999 ·
    • Hide content

Set a budget, and we are £4k over that without a honeymoon! Smiley atonished oops!

Luckily I planned that our monthly savings would mean we finished saving by next year so as we aren't getting married until 2015 we are still able to afford it, andluckily I've booked everything so no more added expenses - unless I find something else I totally have to have! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics