Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ajdown
VIP September 2011

Operation WhiteCake - the world's shortest engagement?

ajdown, 16 August, 2011 at 18:36 Posted on Planning 0 30

Found this video which I thought was interesting, about a groom that spent a year planning a wedding in secret, and everything and everyone was organised but kept quiet from the bride.

She thought she was going to a retirement party, but arrived, was proposed to, went off and got ready, then they got married.

I thought it was rather cute actually, so I thought I'd share.

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=53-6dPB1hkg:550:0]

30 replies

Latest activity by MandM90, 18 August, 2011 at 07:13
  • I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

What if she'd said no?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I guess there'd be no video, and he'd feel incredibly stupid Smiley smile

I suppose all of us guys get to a point where we are fairly sure that it's the right time to do the proposal, and that we're pretty confident that the answer is going to be yes - otherwise we wouldn't take the risk of asking the question. He certainly had some chutzpah to arrange everything including inviting guests though, but I suppose he felt secure enough about their relationship that she would say yes, plus that all he had arranged would be to her satisfaction. It seems that they had talked a lot about weddings and he had taken note of what she wanted, and provided it, so the day wasn't a "DTTB" drama like the couple that ended up married in Vegas.

I suppose what it really brings home is that the ceremony and the vows you make to each other in front of assembled guests are what really matters, and that's all you need - everything else is a bonus.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Awwww what a fabulous guy!

It just goes to show at the end of the day nothing is worth stressing over, they are husband and wife and had the perfect day.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Also, if she didn't know, why was her hair and make up all done?

AJ you're right i guess guys know when to propose but still. sweet i guess.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

How do you get around all the legal bits though?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She was told it was someone's retirement party, so I guess she was 'done up' for that on her arrival. But, of course, it wasn't a retirement party, it was her wedding - she just wasn't aware.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

How did he deal with giving notice?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No idea - I know rules are different in the USA but I'm not sure how that would work - but there certainly seemed to be an official celebrant taking the ceremony.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Yeh but she was wearing jeans and a t-shirt with a fussy up do and a full face of make up. A hair do like that takes time to do, she didn't just throw her hair up.

Also i agree with mini, how did they do the official legal bits? even though its different in the usa im pretty sure both people need to know about the marriage license to sign it or they cant get married.

Not sure i think this is real.

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

On Bridezillas the other day I saw a couple going to apply for their licence... So I think you still need to give notice there

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I love it, she did think they were getting married on September 17th then having a suprise BBQ for family the week after so I guess she could have done the legalities.

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

We're photographing a suprise wedding soon - the bride and groom know about it, but none of the family do!

• queenofspain
    Beginner December 2011
    queenofspain ·
    • Hide content

Apparently she thought they were going to elope in september in vegas, and used the retirement party as an opportunity to get a mock hair do & makeup done so she could get an idea of what she wanted done for the wedding in september. Thats from a someone on another forum who claims to work with one of the groomsmen

I think I would kill my OH, as I would miss out on the planning bits, but she seems plesantly suprised!

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

OMG that is so sweet.

She asked him at the start if her hairdresser was in on it and he said yes.

At the end she said she thought they were going to vegas to get married in secret so they would have done the legal stuff for that.

• MrsWill2b
    Beginner March 2013
    MrsWill2b ·
    • Hide content

I would be planning to renew my wedding vows right after that! The thought of someone taking away the pleasure of planning my wedding would do my nut in! But everyone is different and that worked for her.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

"Our", surely?

• J
    jules40 ·
    • Hide content

I would go along with the wedding but I'd be furious!

• MrsWill2b
    Beginner March 2013
    MrsWill2b ·
    • Hide content

MINE!! Lol! ?

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

I don't like the idea of that at all! I'm completely with you AJ that most guys know what the answer's going to be before they propose and most couples will have talked about marriage before that. However, I would hate a surprise wedding! I'm a control freak and it would do my head in!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

My mum and dad had a two week engagement - I reckon that (in the UK) is the shortest engagement possible, because of the legalities.

If she knew they were going to get married in Vegas, and had done legalities - then I'd class that as engaged, even if he hadn't actuall asked her.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I suppose there's also a lot of 'knowing your bride' as to whether he thinks she'd actually like it or go completely ballistic. I agree, the surprise method isn't for everyone.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The rules vary from state to state - in some you need to be resident for x amount of time and give a blood test

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriage_licence#United_States

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Glad I'm not in the US - I hate needles and the thought of having to do a blood test would have caused me a lot of problems. Good job it's not something they've bought in over here.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

I would absolutely love it!!

• Hunry
    Beginner May 2012
    Hunry ·
    • Hide content

Does anyone know what the name of the song is playing in the background?

Thanks in advance!

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

Yazoo (or Yaz in the USA) - Only You

• Hunry
    Beginner May 2012
    Hunry ·
    • Hide content

Tray1980 you are a star, thank you!

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

The Flying Pickets also did a good version, just in case you're looking for alternative options: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgDKtLPp46s

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

It sounds doable to me. In Toronto after a quick google all you have to do is fill out a form then one (or both) of you go down to the registry office. He could have asked her to sign for the Vegas wedding but actually not proposed (many girls on here have started planning without the official proposal!)

I haven't watched it but I would love it if my wife had done that. I'm not all that fussed upon details and I think the romance would outweigh not being able to plan it, which I found stressful and hard work anyway. As someone else said they had a lovely day and are married now and that's what matters!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics