Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mitzi50
Beginner June 2010

OT - Wisdom Teeth - is it supposed to be this painful!?

Mitzi50, 5 of January of 2010 at 09:15 Posted on Planning 0 18

Morning Ladies,

After a bit of advice really! I woke up about 1.30 this morning with an agonising pain in my mouth and all down the side of my face, which is still there, i can only fathom that its a wisdom tooth coming through. I know people say they can be painful, but seriously Ive taken two nurofen this morning and they havent touched the pain, it hurts all round my gums, my tounge, my cheek, is this normal? Also, are you supposed to go and see a dentist when they start coming through or should i just wait? ...Not sure i can afford the dentist! lol!

Any advice would be appreciated!

xxx

18 replies

Latest activity by Jeff, 14 of October of 2022 at 13:44
  • Debbie Graham Jewellery
    Debbie Graham Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Aww hun, I really really feel for you.

I had so much trouble when my wisdom teeth came through (at about 30yrs old)

I had pain on & off, as they seemed to keep growing, then stopping.

I had my first one out at my usualy dentist but had to go into hospital (knocked out under anesthetic) to get my others out & the pain was unbelievable afterwards, for me it was worse than child birth (& my labour was spread over 3 days)

I'm not sure that your dentist will be able to do anything until the teeth are through properly & as for Nurofen, I always have to take laods to sooth the pain.

When I have my little monthly visitor, I have to take 4 at a time for the first few days, just for it to touch the pain (probs why I am so ditzy at times)

Maybe go to the chemist & see if they have anythin stronger than Nurofen for you. Or you could try rubbibg Bonjela (sp) on your gums.

Hoep you feel better soon

Debbie

xx

• aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content

Hey! ouch sounds horrible Smiley sad Smiley sad when my wisdoms started coming through they didn't hurt, still coming out now, very slowly. my OH is a dentist and usually he says any strong pain should be taken to dentist - might be infected gum etc. can you feel about and make sure it is a wisdom? to see if you can feel something poking through the gum? he does say that sometimes the first cutting through the gums does hurt, so if it is wisdom for sure then you can wait a bit i guess... hope u feel better soon! xx

• aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

yes would also agree with this - and try numbing with ice - and if you do go to dentist and it is wisdom, then ask for stronger painkillers because they can prescribe something stronger. good luck Smiley sad

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

Oh I feel for you - I've had problems with my wisdom teeth coming in at funny angles on and off for about 4 years now and it has on occassion been excruciating. Generally if the pain is as bad as you describe though it's because the area around the tooth has become infected - try sluicing it out twice a day with medicated mouthwath (I use Corsodyl for this but apparently TCP is also good if a bit vile tasting) and if you're able to try rinsing a shot of vodka/white rum/whisky around it to keep it clean. If it still doesn't get any better the dentist (or maybe doctor) might be able to give you antibiotics to clear it up.

My jaw has actually seized up at the moment and I'm giving it til Friday doing all of the above before contacting the dentist. Good luck with it - and remember you can mix paracetemol and ibuprofen so that you're taking them at different intervals throughout the day.

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Debbie, that really helps!! lol!!

MrsAlmostP, I had to start work at 9, not sure swishing a vodka shot round before breakfast would have done me much good! lol! Great excuse for tonight though!! All I had in the house this morning was Nurofen, will go to tesco at lunch and try and get some more stuff!

Ive had a bit of a feel with my finger and can feel a teeny something poking through, but with my tounge i can also feel something, maybe an ulcer or something on my gum (inside my cheeck bit) about the same place as where the teeny bit is poking through. So im not sure if its the ulcer type thing causing the pain, the widsom tooth causing the pain or both!

How much are dentists these days?

x

• C
    Beginner May 2011
    Curly Panda ·
    • Hide content

Three of my wisdom teeth came through when i was 15 and i have only just had to have the impacted one out (no pain from it what so ever but it was starting to decay). they do hurt unnfortunately Smiley sad keep dosed up with tthe painkillers, you can take two ibuprofen and then two hours later some paracetomol......this helped when i had the tooth out in the summer x

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Mine have been coming through since i was 18. it can be agonising sometimes, awful constant sharp ache in my jaw and it feels like my gums are swollen and i've yet to find anything other than cuprofen plus (its codeine and ibuprofen extra strength) that even touches the pain. I thought they were almost done coming through but when i went to the dentist in august she said only one is fully through, one is about 3/4 through and two are about half through. She said i could be in for another two or three years of pain with them and offered to take them out. I said no because i can just about cope with it at the moment plus they would probably have to knock me out because i can't be doing with the dentist doing anything else to my teeth other than looking at them.

• C
    Beginner May 2011
    Curly Panda ·
    • Hide content

If you do have to have them out the sedative is amazing and you barely feel a thing apart from the tugging..........i was absolutely terrified of having the tooth out but all the staff were lovely and it was worth it in the end even though i now need a filling boo hiss boo!

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content

Moya, I had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed, basically the problem is that you have all your teeth then your wisdom teeth come storming in and try to push the others out of the way. Most peoples come in at an angle and can't push through properly. 99% of people have to have them removed. I got really bad infections in my bottom gums where my WT were coming in, and they advised me it was best to have them removed. They removed my bottom two and top left, top right has only just pushed through with no problems!!

Its agonising, but I'm so glad I got mine out.

Lxx

• Broody_wife
    Beginner
    Broody_wife ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You need to be knocked out to have them removed, your wisdom teeth are part of your lower jaw (top ones are just like normal teeth) so they can't remove them without sedation. It cost me £175 to have 3 removed! Lxx

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice guys - however scary it all sounds. Pain is still really bad this evening, I didnt make it to town at lunch so going to go as soon as i finish work at 5 to get some stuff. It feels like my jaw is broken! Really aches and cant open my mouth to eat, its so uncomfortable. I can feel an ulcer on the gum there too so im going to leave it until tomorrow and if the pain is still really bad im going to book an appointment - although I may not be able to get to one looking at the snow watch post!!

• C
    Beginner May 2011
    Curly Panda ·
    • Hide content

I was referred to the maxillo facial unit at our hospital and i cant fault the care i got from them, they were lovely seeing how terrified i was. it took a while for my initial referral but it was only about 3 weeks between being seen and actually having it out

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Yup its sore.....when they break through tho u might be alright. but aye......they are nippy Smiley smile

• aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Hide content

Hey moya! sounds horrible Smiley sad just got back on hitched this eve and remembered u! asked my dentist OH and he says you probably have pericoronitis - an infection of the gum around the emerging wisdom tooth. he says put a teaspoon of salt in a tumbler of warm water and gargle to keep it clean - after every meal and before bed - takes swelling down. brush through the pain to avoid it getting worse. and go to the dentist if the lymph nodes are inflamed under your jaw or if you have a fever as this would indicate a systemic infection and you need antibiotics.

if you are registered with an NHS dentist, he thinks it is 16.50 per check-up. or you could go to a walk-in dental hospital but it would be a bit of a wait. hope u feel better! take lotsa painkillers! xx

• Ms Nic
    Beginner May 2010
    Ms Nic ·
    • Hide content

Hiya Moya...

Hope you pain has settled a bit now! ... Sometimes when your wisdom teeth are coming through the gum around it can get infected *hurts like hell* ... Best to get it checked, might need a wee course of antibiotics to settle it down, Esp if this is a one off episode.

Get yourself some Corsodyl mouthwash (chemist, boots or supermarket) rinse out for as long as you can stand *its quite a strong taste* ... if no better then defo make an appointment to see your dentist.

Hope that helps

*nic the dental nurse* x

• Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

I really feel for you. Mine seem to have been coming through for the last 10 years & they're painful on & off (the pain often times itself with my monthly visitor). Last time I went to the densist he said that they'd all come through but I suppose it just takes time.

If it continues it wouldn't do any harm going to the dentist, hope it doesn't go on to long for you

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for your help.

Nic - the pain is a bit better but i have been on a lot of paracetamol and nurofen, its just where the ulcer bit is thats still really saw and my jaw still aches. Ive got some mouth wash but will pick up some Corsodyl tomorrow and if the pain is still bad ill try and get an appointment. Thanks so much...im such a wimp! x

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

it was the top ones they wanted to take out, to stop them rubbing against the raw gums on the bottom and making the pain worse.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics