Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner October 2022 Bristol

Other ideas for walking down the aisle?

Emily, 20 of October of 2021 at 18:45 Posted on Planning 1 8
I'm not particularly close with my dad and I don't want him or my mum to give me away. I don't really like the idea much. I don't have any bridesmaids either so I'd be walking down the aisle by myself, and the thought of it makes me really really nervous. Having everyone stare at me, trying to get timings right etc. Has anyone got any other ideas instead of just walking down the aisle by myself? I did think about doing a first look with my fiancé and then maybe walking down together, or having him in the middle of the aisle so I can walk halfway and walk the other half with him but I'm just wondering if there are any better ideas anyone has.

8 replies

Latest activity by Lavender_Bride, 27 of October of 2021 at 15:00
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You can walk down the aisle with anyone you think will be a support to you in that moment - best friend, cousin, uncle, grandmother, next door neighbour...

Or walk down the aisle with your OH. That's what we did. I was going to walk with my uncle, but Covid put paid to that as I couldn't be within 2 metres of someone outside my household. But I'm actually really glad that it did and that I got to go in with my fiance. It just seemed appropriate that we walked into the building and our new future as husband and wife together.

• Louise
    Rockstar March 2022 Devon
    Louise ·
    • Hide content
    I really like your idea of meeting your fiance half way. Whilst I hate being stared at as well there is something very symbolic about the nervousness and tension you may feel on your own to start with, that will be lifted as soon as it's the two of you and you can walk the rest at ease together. Very romantic 😘
  • Littlemy
    Dedicated April 2022 Kent
    Littlemy ·
    • Hide content
    My best friend is walking me down the aisle. My dad has recently come in to my life and my step dad passed away a few years ago. My best friend is like the sister I should of had so I wanted her to be involved.
  • Jade
    Curious June 2023 Shropshire
    Jade ·
    • Hide content
    I think your idea of walking half way and meeting your OH is really lovely! I agree with Louise, it’s a really romantic idea! 😊 if you’re really nervous you could have him stand 3/4s of the way up the aisle so you’re doing the majority of the walk with him! 😊
  • N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    We don’t have an aisle per se, so we’re planning to walk in together and go together to the “altar”. We’ll have the first look moment, and a few quiet mins together before we go into our venue. I think that time together will feel very special. And when we go into the venue to get married we’ll be starting our married life as we intend to continue it - together, as a team
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I am walking down on my own would have been different if it was big wedding but i dont speak to my family and its just me my partner an our 3 kids so its upto you x💗
  • Rachel
    Dedicated June 2023 Greater Manchester
    Rachel ·
    • Hide content
    I’m the same my dad and I don’t have the best relationship also I don’t think he ‘deserves’ the honour of giving me away as it’s a big moment and I wanted somebody who been there for my up and downs through my life so it’s either my little brother ( he doesn’t want to upset my dad though giving me away as he is close to my dad and knows how much he wants to do it ) or my grandad who’s been like a dad to me my whole life ( he’s poorly so I don’t think he will be well enough to do it but he said he will do something special with me thinking of doing a first look with him instead as it’s more one to one time with him ). Or lastly I’m thinking of just walking myself down as I am strong enough to do it just I know for sure I’ve got to be true to myself and know what I decided to do it’s okay as it’s the same for you ITS YOUR DAY! 🥰💕
  • L
    Beginner October 2023 East London
    Lavender_Bride ·
    • Hide content

I really like the idea of meeting your fiance halfway through! I've been living by myself since I moved out to go to uni, over 10 years ago now - it would feel strange to be 'given away' by my parents since I've haven't lived with either of them in so long. I know the person that walks you down the aisle is meant to be the one who has always been there for you but that's been me Smiley laugh

Symbolically I think I would rather walk by myself but I also really like the idea of sharing that moment with my future husband and walk down the aisle together as a team x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics