Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner June 2012

overbearing friend, sorry this is a long one.

kfair, 13 August, 2011 at 15:14 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi ladies (&gents),

I just want to sound off/get some advice really.

I have a small group of very good friends, one of my friends (a) really dislikes one of my other friends (b). When i told a i was beginning to plan the wedding she got very excited and told me she wants to help with everthing, which at the time sounded great but has since turned into a bit of a nightmare. I invited (a) round to talk about weddings/plans etc (ive never even attended a wedding), she cam with her daughter who is 16 and preceeded to tell me that she had told her she could do my make-up on the day???? i didnt have the heart to say no in front of her daughter and still havent as yet (no backbone).

I took friend (b) to my first wedding dress shop, i couldnt take them both because a dislikes b so much, anyway i found a dress i really liked but knew it wasnt 'the one' and want to visit lots more shops, a text me and asked if i liked any of the dresses, i told her i found one i liked but wanted to keep looking and invited her to a dress shop the next week, she replied with a text saying her AND daughter would love to come (her daughter is my babysitter). Anyway the day before the shopping trip my oh informed me he had booked a shift at work the following evening so i had to text friend and explain and ask if her daughter would be able to babysit while we went, the reply i got back was WHATS HE GONE AND DONE THAT FOR!!! i was furious at this message i dont understand how she could be so disrespectful of my other half! i politely replied saying that oh has to book all the shifts he can otherwise there was no point going dress shopping because i wouldnt be having one!

We went to the bridal shop and i tried on a few dresses which i didnt like, my friend had nothing to say and sat with a face like thunder, i tried on one more dress and fell in love with it i told my friend i really liked the dress when i came out and she said ''its nice but theres something about it i just dont like'' but couldnt pin point what? she said ''anyway it didnt make me cry so its definately not the one''. When i got home i cried, i sent her a message saying how much she has upset me and i had no reply/no apology, then a few days later got a text telling me she and daughter are going to book tickets for the wedding show so i should book mine (hadnt even discussed this???)

I dont relly know what to do now, its really putting a downer on things for me at the moment but im not really sure how to sort it out. i really dont want to upset her or fall out with her, she takes things to heart. She has booked flights and hotel already.

Any of you been in this situation before?

5 replies

Latest activity by MandM90, 13 August, 2011 at 18:34
  • MissPanda
    Beginner March 2012
    MissPanda ·
    • Hide content

Ooh poor you Smiley sad what a horrible situation! I think the best way has to be being completely blunt and telling her how you feel, I think if you beat around the bush she'll ignore it and it'll just get worse, especially when your wedding gets closer. I would just get her round (on her own!) and just tell her how she's making you feel. Not easy I know! Hope you get it sorted x

• mytinyvintagewedding
    Beginner July 2012
    mytinyvintagewedding ·
    • Hide content

How awful. Your friend is being really selfish. You are going to have to tell her NO about the make up and with no disrespect you'll be planning your wedding solo. How dare she ruin your bridal dress fittings which should be an exciting and happy time. This is NOT her wedding! Do you really want some one like that making a scene on your special day. Even at the risk of losing a friendship, I would tell her you wont be needing her help. Not easy, but for your sanity I would do it!

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Miss P. She sounds like she is totally overbearing. Why would you let a 16 year old do your wedding makeup? Sounds to me like she is taking advantage of your good nature and putting you in positions were you feel you cant say no to her. I would ask her to meet you for a coffee or something and tell her face to face you dont know why she and her daughter have booked tickets to the wedding show as you have no intention of going (even if you do she doesnt need to know this). Tell her she is going too far and you want her to slow down a bit. This will sound so bitchy and bridezilla ish but she needs to remember who's wedding this is!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

She does seem to have an overbearing attitude, but I was just thinking that surely your friend should be honest when it comes to your potential wedding dress?

I went shopping with one of my friends last week and there was a dress she loved, but I said that something wasn't quite right. Maybe I said it in a nicer way though. My friend went to have a second look later that afternoon and agreed with me. I think she's found an even better one now

But apart from that, I think you need to have a word with her before it gets out of hand

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content

Yes, i had a feeling you were all going to tell me to grow a pair lol, i think il invite her round in the week and just come out with it.

Thanks guys.

• MandM90
    Beginner July 2011
    MandM90 ·
    • Hide content

She sounds like a bit of a nutter if I'm honest (sorry if that's a little blunt)

I can only echo the other girls...you don't want to look back on your wedding and have regrets because you let your friend push you around!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics