Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious June 2023 Worcestershire

Parents not met future in laws

Sarah, 31 of August of 2022 at 10:35 Posted on Planning 0 12

Is anyone in the situation where the first time your parents will meet your future in laws will be AT your wedding?

My dad is volatile character, i try to keep him at arms length and only visit him when I absolutely have to. I try to keep him away from my FH (my FH knows exactly what he is like and is happy to just see him Christmas etc.)

My family is literally me, my sister and mom & dad so we don't have family gatherings, in fact we don't do anything as a family. My FH family are totally different they spend so much time together and I love it! I can literally sit around their house so relaxed for hours on end...completely the opposite to my family (dad)

I have zero intention of my dad meeting FH parents before the wedding and he probably feels the same as he doesn't have any friends he keeps himself to himself. I just wondered if it's weird that the first time they meet will be after we have said I DO? My mom has briefly met my FH mom for like 10 mins this was over 5 years ago....

we (my FH and I and his family) live 60 miles away from my family so it's not like it's really weird they haven't come across each other yet lol. I just have no desire for my dad to meet them before the wedding in case he blows up over something stupid (which is often does)

12 replies

Latest activity by Ebony, 4 of September of 2022 at 01:00
  • Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, we are kind of in the same situation. My mum and FMIL will meet for the first time on our wedding day as FMIL and FHs nan didn't come to our engagement party. FMIL and FH's nan won't have met anyone at the wedding so will probably end up feeling really awkward but it's their own doing. I'm just trying not to stress over it too much!

• A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Similar situation with FMIL... while she can be lovely in person, she's had too many phases of being horrible about the wedding/me/my family and generally being unsupportive to FH and his life choices that my mum isn't feeling very inclined to meet her (for fear she will "thwack her with her handback if she starts" lol) which I feel is fair, but it's also starting to piss FMIL off that she hasn't met them...

I'd also love FFIL (who's lovely, divorced from FMIL) to meet my parents but we're all a bit worried about the fall out from FMIL if he meets them first/without a date in the diary for FMIL to meet them.

I don't have much in the way of advice, but thought I'd comment to show you're not alone in trying to navigate this sort of minefield!

• Sarah
    Dedicated October 2022 Swansea
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry too much, I think this is more common than people think - especially with Covid. Our families will either meet the evening before in the venue or on the day of the wedding itself as due to Covid we have not managed a time to travel across country to introduce siblings and parents. You can see this as a positive - if you don't spend too much time with your dad normally then introducing him on a day where there are clear time-boxed activities and things to keep people busy might be useful and help structure/focus introductions. Is there a friend/relative who can be primed to chat to your dad and steer the conversation back on course if needed? It might mean you can just focus on enjoying your day.

• Lucy
    Savvy September 2022 Hampshire
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    Please don’t stress over this. I haven’t meet my partners twin sister who will be at the wedding and we’ve been together nearly 5 years! They just aren’t close. Those that want to be there will and they will sort themselves out on the day. Just enjoy it!
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content

You are certainly not alone in this based on everyone's comments. My Dad and Stepmum have met my inlaws but my Mum hasn't and will only meet them as everyone goes into the ceremony room.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I have been with my pagrtner for 20 years and my parents have never met h2b parents which i am glad about x💗
  • L
    Savvy August 2022 North Yorkshire
    Lee-Anne ·
    • Hide content
    Yeah my MIL and SIL met my grandma and family (my mum and dad didn't come) so grandma's the next closest on the day of the wedding.
    They met some of our closest friends from church the day before when we were doing some decorating but yeah they met my family on the day x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Your welcome hun enjoy the rest of your plannimg x💗
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I have never wanted them to meet my family are quite loud h2bs arent even when we had kids they never met for me that was best way when my mil past away 4 years ago they wanted to attend the service but i said no its not a way to meet people for the first time after so long x💗
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

My mum and my OHs family met for the first time at our wedding. I was really ill just after we got engaged, and then we had the Covid lockdown. Yes, it was a bit weird, but nothing earth-shattering. I think Covid and cross-cultural marriages are making this more and more common - I know a few friends who have married someone from another country and the inlaws only met at the wedding. And if your dad is a difficult character, probably best if they meet as little as possible.

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    We got married this July and had the best day ever but I met his sister for the first time on the wedding day and we have been together nearly 7 years. I had only met his two brothers once! And hadn’t met some of the nieces and nephews at all. Total opposite to my family but they are not close. Distance is not an excuse either as my parents live 250 miles away and his are around 40-50 miles away. It is just the way things are. Just to say you are not the only one!
  • Km86
    Dedicated December 2022 North Yorkshire
    Km86 ·
    • Hide content
    I think I'd rather ours hadn't met than what I'm now facing! They met at our house and got on fine and then a few months later met again at a meal and FMIL and FSIL were very drunk, started swearing at wait staff and made my fiance cry, they went outside and were arguing with my Fiance in the car park, my mum went out to try and calm them down and the 2 mums ended up having a screaming row, my sister told my fiance I'm only with her for money and pushed her so my fiance punched her (honestly I'm mortified reliving this) now the families hate each other and will be seeing each other for the first time since all that at the wedding (well my FMIL and Mum, my Dad is refusing to come and my Sister isn't invited)
  • E
    Dedicated October 2022 East London
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    It's quite refreshing to hear lots of us are in a similar situation. I'm extremely close to my mother, my father not so much and my future in laws haven't met my dad and will do so on the wedding day and to compound the issue my mother and father haven't seen eachother for 20 years! So, I've no idea what'll happen, hopefully everyone will be on their best behaviour (not sure for how long with a free bar) and be in awe of my beauty (clearly I'm delusional lol). Just enjoy your day and get the bridal party to difuse and situations that may escalate so you and hubby can have a lovely wedding.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics