Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner February 2023 Surrey

Party Only Wedding

Hayley, 19 of January of 2022 at 19:01 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 9
Hi

We have just started planning our wedding. We have a tight budget but are fortunate to have a lot of friends we would love to celebrate with.
We like the idea of a ‘reception only’/ Party only wedding. So have a tiny registry office ceremony with just family and then have a massive party that evening with everyone.
The idea is we wouldn’t be able to afford a big traditional sit down meal and would prefer to treat all our friends to an amazing party.
I was wondering if anyone has attended something like this before? I really want to make sure people don’t feel put out by us not sharing the ceremony.
I would love to hear of any ideas, things you have liked and the etiquette for this slightly alternative type of wedding.
Thank you in advance

9 replies

Latest activity by Moniquemo4, 12 of October of 2023 at 11:48
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    What a great idea! We had thought about doing something similar ourselves.
    I don’t think any of your friends will be annoyed at your plans. And even if they are, it’s your wedding so do what you want! Sit down meals are expensive so putting your time and money into organising a nice evening do sounds perfectly fine.
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

This was our plan originally in 2020, we were having an evening "engagement party" and we were going to do a buffet which we would prepare and set up earlier in the day, then we were going to marry at 4pm with close family at registry office and have a meal together then at the party announce we had got married that day, then Covid hit 5 weeks before so was scrapped! It is your day and no one should feel a sense of entitlement to be involved in your ceremony. If you kept the ceremony to immediate family only then it will be easier for you to explain, not that you have to, that you just wanted a small intimate ceremony. We have now gone the other way and are having the big wedding as we have saved so much in the last 2 years but honestly the stress!! I sometimes wish we had gone back to the original plan! You do what you want, and do not feel pressure from anyone else's opinions. The main thing for the party is to have everyone together to celebrate with you and I am sure everyone will be pleased to be part of that

• Kim
    Dedicated August 2022 West Yorkshire
    Kim ·
    • Hide content
    This is exactly what i have done family only at the church and then a big party for 80 people from 5pm onwards it works out a lot cheaper x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    My sister did this she saved so much money and friends shouldnt be to bothered its not like your not celebrating good luck x💗
  • A
    Dorset
    Anne ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, well today is our 15th anniversary! It was second time round for both of us and we chose to get married in January with immediate family at a lovely hotel and had a sit down meal. The night before we sent out invites (2nd class Mail!) informing all our friends that we had got married and that they were welcome to join us for a celebration in May. We had a ceilidh band and finger buffet which was very economical and great fun. You could also do this on the day you get married. The best weddings I have been to are the simplest. Enjoy. Anne
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Some of our friends are doing this and we're really excited about it! They're planning a 70s disco style party so there's a fun theme that's not too overkill as well (and we know it'll be great music as a result!) which gives us as guests something to look forward to and they are going to put on some form of buffet/help yourself food so people won't be starving which is a really good shout. Think the bride and groom are still planning on dressing "weddingy" but doing away with all the traditions. I think as a guest when you know this is "the main event" you're just as excited as you would be for a traditional event Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner February 2023 Surrey
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    Hi everyone

Thanks so much for all coming back to me. I really love the idea of a simple day and just cutting out all the stress that I know I would feel arranging a big one. All your messages have really reassured me. For those of you who have had/ are planning a party only style wedding. How did you run your day time wise?
    Xx

• Angel
    Beginner October 2022 South West London
    Angel ·
    • Hide content
    We are doing our registration with a nice 10 people family only lunch at a restaurant and planning on a night out the same week on a Friday with friends! This way we can feel a bit ceremonial for the occasion without all the stress.
  • E
    Savvy April 2022 Essex
    Emma ·
    • Hide content
    I am getting married in April. We have a ceremony of 24 people and having a evening reception which another 80 people are coming along too. I must admit we did have a few people who were upset they were not invited to the ceremony. We are having our ceremony, then toast champagne and nibbles, then our ceremony party are going to our evening venue and having a 1 course roast dinner sit down meal there with drinks. Then the tables are cleared away about about 30 mins later the evening guests will start to arrive
    The truth is you have to do what YOU want for YOUR wedding

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics