Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner April 2014

Photographer has cancelled... Advice needed

gill03, 3 of February of 2014 at 17:58 Posted on Planning 0 34

Hi everyone,

I have enjoyed reading posts on the forum over the year but a little shy. Myself and my partner are getting married on the 19th if April 2014 and have found out tonight that our Photographer has cancelled our pre photo shoot and wedding day photography! To say I was a little shocked is a understatement! He emailed (not telephoned) to say that he can no longer be available on the day but has arranged another photographer in replacement of him. I have already paid a deposit for the original photographer, he has said the services he was going to provide will remain the same with the new photographer he has suggested. We have spent a considerable amount of time choosing a photographer as my other half is a keen photographer, only to be told that we can have someone we have never heard of and who's work we have never seen. Has anyone experienced this before? Are we entitled to some of our deposit back? This is not stated in the contract so don't really know where we stand.

Appreciate any help

Thanks

34 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 10 of February of 2014 at 12:16
  • B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

You are entitled to all of your deposit back( what does it say in your contract) , hate to say it but a lot of photographers are doing this now, they go in cheap then get a much higher wedding some time later and drop the lower priced client, really am sorry about this, the only advice I can give you is get hunting for another photographer whose photos you like because as you say he has passed on to you a photographer that you know nothing about, you are going in blind and it will not end nicely.

Where are you getting married by the way.

• Laura DeBourde
    Laura DeBourde ·
    • Hide content

Ah that's not very good news at all. What exactly was his reasons for cancelling? Have you read over the Contract again to see if there are any clauses about this situation? I would say you are definitely entitled to your deposit back, and he certainly shouldn't have arranged another Photographer for you - how do you know if you're even going to like this arranged photographer's work? I would write an email back politely stating that you are quite shocked at this late cancellation and that you and your partner took a decent amount of time researching a Photographer you really liked and you're pretty gutted that he has cancelled on you and especially as it's so last minute. I wouldn't go in guns blazing, but I'd take the calmer route first and hopefully he will honour some good customer service. Definitely put emphasis on the fact that you took the time to really research into him as a Photographer as this is a very important aspect of the day to you and it's quite upsetting that you've just been handed someone else whose work you don't know.

I personally would take the time to go back over your contract and read absolutely everything and see if there is anything written in there about cancellation policy. Did he send you any kind of "confirmation"? I usually send a PDF to my clients which states their names and details and just says that I am the sole and professional photographer for their wedding day on the date 1/1/14 for example and I always state that I will not take on any other work on this date. If he sent you anything like that, then hold onto that.

I'd start looking around for a new Photographer in the meantime. I hope you get your deposit back and everything gets sorted.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome. I'm really sorry to hear you are going through this so close to the wedding.

I'm not going to pass judgement on the Photographer who has cancelled as I don't know the circumstances on why he has had to cancel. It might be through ill health for all I know but this can happen to any of us! We just hope it never has to!

I do have it covered in my contract but if this Photographer hasn't then I would firstly be asking for the details of the photographer they recommend now, to assess whether you like them yourselves and then secondly, if you don't, be asking for your deposit back so you can arrange a Photographer who you do like!

If you need any further advice please let me know!

• G
    Beginner April 2014
    gill03 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so promptly. He stated that a change in timings of a return journey is the cause of him not being available now. We had booked this person nearly a year ago so he has had plenty of notice. The contract mentions '' In the unlikely event of photographic loss, curtailment or cancellation of services outside of the control of the photographer, liability will be restricted to all monies paid. The photographer will not be liable for any consequential loss however caused.'' We do not fully understand the meaning of this.

Thanks

• G
    Beginner April 2014
    gill03 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in South Staffordshire Bruce.

• B
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Gill? not too far then.

It sounds like it means he will only be liable for whatever money you have gave him and any money that you will lose after the fact, in other words you won't be able to charge him if you incur any extra expense i.e. getting another photographer at a higher price for example.

• donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like that means that he is not liable to refund any moneys paid by you as the circumstance is 'out of his control'. However he has has sufficient time and still does to make alternative travel arrangements. I hope you get your money back if you cancel. Could you not ask to see a portfolio of replacement photographer? X

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Bruce has summed up what it means nicely. As it also doesn't mention them sorting out another Photographer for you, then you are entitled to your deposit back.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

No more advice than the lovely togs but hello & welcome, sorry this has happened!

• G
    Beginner April 2014
    gill03 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the clarification guys, we are both deciding what is the best cause of action. We have a pre wedding shoot with his suggested photographer this Sat so we shall see what happens. Thanks again for the advice, was worried about being heckled Smiley smile

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Hope it goes well Gill.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

You'll never be heckled, don't worry. Although you do now have to stick around and tell us about your plans ?

• B
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This ^^^^^^ good luck.

• G
    Beginner April 2014
    gill03 ·
    • Hide content

Daffodil waves- I think the word to describe our wedding is Simple. We are getting married in our local Methodist church followed by a hog roast reception in golf club with views looking over Cannock chase. We have a wedding band for the evening so we can dance the night away, then off on a mini moon to the Yorkshire dales. Just hoping no one else will drop out on us!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Sounds amazing!! I love a live band too. Really brings the evening reception to life!

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

You should be fine finding someone for April, it's still quiet compared to the world of crazy that is May and beyond.

May is just scary busy.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Don't want to particularly worry the op but just a heads -up, what Chris said is right-------------- but that weekend is Easter and can be a busy blip at that time of year (I have two booked )
  • Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do check out the "new" tog option very closely.....A wedding pre shoot may not show what they are like under the time pressures of a wedding. Check them out as fully as you did the original tog(I am sure that you will)

Changing togs is a practise some togs do far too often........☹️

Peter

• B
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly, please be very careful and look at lots of photos from the new photographer, if you need any advice just ask.

• G
    Beginner April 2014
    gill03 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, the information you have provided has been extremely valuable and we both appreciate the advice. Will keep you posted and may be asking for more advice later if the outcome isn't great.

Thank you all again

Gill

• Merigold
    Beginner June 2014
    Merigold ·
    • Hide content

Be careful here, depending on your contract wording by taking the prephoto shoot you may be "accepting" the offer of another photographer, which then may make you ineligible for a refund the deposit.

The clause you mentioned means that you can get your deposit back. Timings are not out of his control in any case, especially months in advance.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

You said that

So he must of been good.And perhaps he has found a worthy replacement.

Like has been said it could mean that by going through with the "new" pre shoot it could be an acceptance on your part.

Perhaps get an assurance from the original one that if you go ahead with the pre wedding shoot and you don't like it then you can have your deposit back.

Has the replacement got their own website for you to see.

• Hide content

Sorry x2 post
    There does seem to be a lot of it about
  • G
    Beginner April 2014
    gill03 ·
    • Hide content

We have already contacted our original photographer and stated that when we meet up with the replacement, if he isn't what we had hoped for, we have requested that our deposit is to be returned. We are awaiting a response. I appreciate the word of warning with 'agreeing to the pre shoot.' We have started to contact other Photographers too as back up.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Hmm as he cancelled you probably should be able to get your money back (that's terrible he didn't even give a reason or at least let you choose what you wanted to do!)

• Hide content

I don't know and I'm having a wild guess that they could of booked a holiday and the return flight has been moved,

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There are several possibilities of which this is one......

I hope that some response is heard today to the couple from the tog......

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Oh sorry, missed that, thank you Bill!

• G
    Beginner April 2014
    gill03 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Everyone,

We have been very fortunate and have found another photographer who is available on our day! Originally was a contender but our budget wouldn't stretch. However, due to having a few available dates for 2014 we were offered a discount which has brought it into our price range. We still haven't had a response from our original photographer, but we will be requesting our deposit back.

Thanks for all the advice and help

Gill

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

So glad you got it sorted, must be a huge relief!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Gill, that is fab news! Glad that worry is over and fingers crossed your other Photographer gets back to you soon.

• B
    • Hide content

Gill fantastic news, at least you won't have to worry anymore.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics