Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

O
Beginner October 2011

Platinum wedding rings !

oldgal, 13 February, 2011 at 18:00 Posted on Planning 0 31

I cannot believe the cost of a plain band ! And I also cannot believe how much the prices can differ ! I originally thought I would have one with diamonds in ! Maybe not eh ? Anyone bought a platinum band lately ?

31 replies

Latest activity by judeclarke, 14 February, 2011 at 12:17
  • Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having 18ct white gold, OH is having Palladium.

Platinum is just out of our price league!

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    MrsDWT ·
    • Hide content

I had the same problem so i have gone for a palladium ring with diamonds. Same as below but palladium (white metal v similar to platinum) lots cheaper than platinum and from the same family.

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sr3693 ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

I have a platinum & gold ER ring, it's also shaped so I would need to get my WR made, how much r they?

Think i will end up going for palladium, apparently it's same group of metals but alot cheaper!

• purpletaff
    Beginner June 2012
    purpletaff ·
    • Hide content

I have a very thin plain platinum band from Ernest Jones £399. very small and very plain tho!

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

Well OH needs a 4mm band and the prices depending on the guage range from £750 to £1800 !!!!!!!!! Mine starting at £600 and I cannot bear the thought of checking with diamonds ! I know OH would let me have what I wanted but I get a sweat just thinking about it !

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

I should say OH is paying for the whole shindig too so I couldn't bring myself to ask for something even flasher the ER was enough ! Poor bloke lol

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    MrsDWT ·
    • Hide content

Meant to say in my earlier post that my ring (shown in post) is about £450 in palladium versus about £1000ish in platinum.

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow thanks that is worth knowing !

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

OH's 4mm palladium ring (with detail too hard to describe lol) is just over £200! looks way more expensive than that. Even white gold (next level up) was just over £300.

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

White gold needs replating after a while I was told. I will have to check out Palladium but think we probably will just go for plain platinum bands because of the ER.

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Whereabouts are you? I'm getting a 2.5mm platinum band with diamonds half way round for £650 and OH is getting a 5mm platinum band for £755 from Hatton Garden.

I can really recommend the jeweller we used.

HTH

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sr3693 ·
    • Hide content

Well we have an appointment booked with smooch on Thursday evening so i will report back

with details & pricing!

Good luck people!

• W
    Beginner March 2011
    whiteroserachel ·
    • Hide content

H2B and I are both having platinum WRs (my ER is platinum with a three-diamond setting). When H2B bought my ER from Beaverbrooks they were running an offer where you got 50% of the value of your purchase in vouchers, so his WR ended up only being £75 once those had been taken into account (this was back in Jan/Feb 08). We bought my WR in November and I haggled the price down in the shop to £450 from I think about £600. The price of platinum has obviously shot up since then though as the same ring is now advertised for £850 online.

If you don't fancy trying what I did and seeing if you can talk the price down a bit, have a look online. There are some that are a lot cheaper than on the high street and if it's just a plain band you're after then as long as it's hallmarked there shouldn't be too much difference in quality.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I have a platinum ER, but we're having palladium WRs because it's cheaper. Palladium is less than half the price of platinum, and because it doesn't need rhodium plating it's very good for setting diamonds in. So my OH has a wider band than we originally had planned and I can have the diamonds I want, and we still came in under budget!

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

My other half went for Palladium too as platinum was too expensive - they look the same and are both hardwearing. A friend however has platinum but did a lot of research on the web to get a good price.

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

We went looking at rings today!!

I have a platinum ER with a 0.5 carat diamond, i want a platinum WR with diamonds also. I tried some on in beverbrooks today and the one i liked was £2350!! I wont be paying that!!

We have an appointment booked with Smooch and i'll be scouring the net to get the best price possible, Platinum is expensive though!

• MrsBear2b
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsBear2b ·
    • Hide content

Both mine and OH's rings are platinum. He was insistent that we get something that is durable seeing as it will stay on our fingers forever, my ER is also platinum so didn't want it to be rubbing with white gold either.

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

I have just bought platnium court 3mm band from Goldsmiths, it was £599 but i was lucky and had some tesco vouchers so i didnt part with a penny!

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content

My engagement ring is platinum so I don't have a choice but to get platinum wedding band! I was shocked at the cost too- I wanted a half eternity style but even with low grade diamonds, it's so expensive! My OH is looking at palladium instead of white gold so that I can spend more on mine (bless him!) but I still resent the amounts quoted! I'm going to try the jewellery quarter next week in birmingham- my sister got a half diamond eternity platinum band for £425 from Samsons (I think that's what they are called!).

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A coulpe of jewellers have told me that if you buy british white gold, it never needs recoating- if it's imported white gold it does though. Also although very durable, I was strongly advised not to get palladium with my ER as it would still be strong enough to damage the WR! Wish we had looked into WR costs before getting a platinum ER!

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are in Herts we got the ER from Hatton Garden would be really interested to know who you went to ! Thanks x

• LeeLee :)
    Beginner
    LeeLee :) ·
    • Hide content

This is a problem I'm having, been looking for a WR to match the ER but I defo want 4mm and maybe with/without diamonds but sooo pricey Smiley sad

Have to see if there are any deals on (but I've looked at so many sites already its doing my head in)!

I may contact Smooch and see what they can do, I doubt I'd travel across to Brum for the Jewellery Quarter or to London for Hatton Garden, unless we were out that way anyway Smiley smile

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hear you but the travel costs may be worth it if the saving is good enough !

• ai3x
    Beginner September 2011
    ai3x ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yep, I bought my OH a white gold ER. I got it made for her out of Grade1 white gold and it was never plated. One year on it still looks just as good as the day I gave it to her.

Think we're going to go with white gold WR's as well, going to get them made as well since the sentimentalist in me really wants them cast from the same piece of gold.

Alex

• S
    Beginner July 2012
    sd10/7/2012 ·
    • Hide content

I think I will just get a plain wedding band and then save the extra diamonds for an eternity ring! Probably in platinum as that's what my ER is but not really looked yet

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's really romantic ? Glad the jewellers were being honest and not just trying to encourage my OH to go for a more expensive option too!

• W
    Beginner
    WhiteSparkles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could even have the ring set with diamonds at a later date. That was one option I considered to save a bit on cost.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Yes you do - you can wear palladium against platinum. It's a popular myth spread by jewellers to make you spend more money!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I recently got quotes from Hatton Garden. They were excellent value and are prepared to haggle. Well worth a trip.

All of the jewellers I visited there were considerably cheaper than high street equivalents and Smooch. Really worth a look, ladies!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I had a white gold one. I had seen it last March and it was £400. I went back in October and it had gone up to £800! I shopped around a bit though (jewellery quarter in Brum) and got a 4mm white gold, full channel set diamonds for £350!! Absolute bargain, but you have to shop around. I know people are recommending Smooch, but I just thought they were massively overpriced when I spoke to them at the National Wedding Show.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That may be true if you're looking for a plain band, but for the service and quality of shaped bands they aren't expensive. And their 'lifetime guarantee' and service is worht a few extra quid.

Jewellery in general is getting expensive because the price of precious metals is rising, so if you see a bargain grab it!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics