Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Olive
Beginner February 2025 Lothian & Borders

Politely not inviting family members

Olive, 23 of February of 2024 at 03:30 Posted on Planning 0 8
Hi, I'm getting married in April 2025 and even though I'd always said to my mother that I didn't want family there (apart from her, my dad and brother) she has disregarded this and taken it upon herself to invite my 3 aunts and their husbands anyway. Long story short - her and my dad are divorced and they hate each other, she wants her sisters there for support, but they also hate my dad. It's also very stressful for me because I don't want to invite my cousins either, but that sense of obligation is looming. So I've got this situation where what was meant to be just the immediate family attending, could now be between 6-10 additional invitations where the majority of those attending don't even like my father. My mum has rather pushed me into considering the extra invitations as she claims her sisters will all pay for the champagne and that she "needs" them there as she can't go alone against my dad, but my intention was always to have her bring a friend. The wedding is well over a year away, but I'm already so stressed about this one situation, it's keeping me up at night. Any advice?

8 replies

Latest activity by Shay, 1 of June of 2024 at 22:18
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

If your mother is going to find it stressful, then I think offering her a 'plus one' to bring a trusted friend, as you are doing, is kind and considerate. But you don't have to double the size of your wedding just to keep her happy.

What you do will depend on whether she has just told your aunts that she is going to get them invited or if she has told them they are definitely coming. If it's the latter, then you are going to have to tell them as kindly as possible that the wedding is limited to immediate family only. If your mum is only talking about invites, then simply telling her that this is not going to happen should be sufficient.

I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. I think the guest list is always the biggest headache when organising a wedding, but stand firm!

• Katrina
    Dedicated February 2025 West Midlands
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content

I feel your pain ;/ my Dad felt strange as I said to him he invite two family members to the ceremony. I dont speak to my dad's side of the family they dont really have anything to do with me. Maybe in the evening time of your wedding you could invite those extra guests.

We are only having 34 guests at main wedding. In the evening time I have said to my Dad he can invite 5 family members extra. He even said he will pay for them as well. This is not the point I did not want them there all together!

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I don't talk to my family because we wanted to do it on our own with just are 3 kids 21,18,11 but they found out haven't spoken for a while stick to what you both feel is best for you both it's hard the situation you are in hope you sort it x♥️
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Hi how's the situation with family going x💕
  • Olive
    Beginner February 2025 Lothian & Borders
    Olive ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi all, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post or ask how the situation is going. Basically, there was a breakdown in communication - my mother didn't invite her sisters, they assumed they were invited and no one corrected them. My mum sees my point of view and is sorry, but she can't stand the idea of any problems - so she's paid for all 6 extra guests herself. From the money side, it does help, but I am still nervous about everyone being together. I think I'll write everyone a note to let them know how I feel about the whole situation of them coming together and simply ask that they just avoid eachother, no one needs to be polite and make awkward conversation. If I see anyone acting out of place, they will have to accept my telling them to leave before anything escalates. It's nice that everyone wants to be there for me, but I need to have my say and be sure my point of view is acknowledged and understood as well.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It sounds as if you are handling this really well ( a lot better than your mother, to be honest!) I agree that contacting the family in advance is a good idea. Be very clear that if anyone cannot be civil in the presence of other invited guests, then they should not attend. It might also be worth telling your mum that whether or not she is prepared to pay, she doesn't get to invite anyone else to the wedding!

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi olive I think it's your decision if your mum is willing to pay it's upto you both I hope it works out the way you want it too ♥️ good luck with all your planning x♥️
  • S
    Rockstar July 2024 Cumbria
    Shay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Olive! What a wonderful response, I like the note idea. It gets it across. Not regarding family but I felt the same regarding x2 friends who are going through a bad divorce. We spoke to them both but now sadly one isn’t coming because of them being too heartbroken to see the other one. So not the same but as a bride I understand you feelings. It will all be perfect! ❤️

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics