Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Probably dumb question on hoops/petticoats...

22 of May of 2011 at 16:17 Posted on Planning 0 11

When i tried my dress on, the lady gave me a hoop to put on first, it just had one ring quite low down. I cant stand them and hate the thought of being stuck in one all day, but obv i need something to puff the dress out...

So my question is... have i got any other options or do i have to hire one of those horrible old browny looking hoops from the bridal shop? (i have terrible OCD issues, and am absolutely horrified at the thought of wearing a hire one).

And whats a petticoat??

I also have to walk down stairs to get to the ceremony room and will be on full display to everyone and i don't know if that hoop thing will go funny as I'm walking down stairs?

As you can probably tell, i dont really get the whole thing... i dont even know what brand my dress is ?

Thanks in advance!!

x

11 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousIvoryFlowers77174, 5 of October of 2018 at 08:47
  • L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like a similar sort of hoop my dress shop put me in - Aside from feeling funny, it looked ridiculous with my dress, you could totally see where the hoop was through the fabric of the dress. I think the only benefit to a hoop is that it holds the skirt out from your legs so its easier to walk without getting caught up.

As an alternative I've bought a petticoat to go under mine. No hoop, just 4 layers of tulle to give it a bit of body. Its a Jupon one (who I think are quite a good make) and won it on Ebay for a tenner! Won't know for sure if its the right style until my dress comes in this summer - But fingers crossed.

Might be worth a look on Ebay though, there seems to be a petticoat for every style of skirt so you should be able to find something ?

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

P.S If you do go for a hoop, there's loads of those on Ebay too, and for pretty cheap, if you don't fancy hiring one.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Ive paid £40 for my hoop- its a dbl hoop and poofs my dress out quite nice.. my dress wouldnt work without the hoop cos it would look too 'flat'

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

Have you got a pic of your dress? I'm sure someone will be able to recommend you a style of hoop if its similar style to theirs maybe?

I'm not sure if you'd be able to get the same fullness with a petticoat, as my dress isn't too big at all (kind of a hybrid between mermaid and drop waisted a-line), so I don't need volume as such - just a bit more oomph! Plus I haven't actually tried it on with the petticoat yet so I can only imagine what it'll look like...

Maybe you could get a hoop with layers of tulle over the top, so its the best of both?

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

My dress is a-line and I got a 2 hoop underskirt/petticoat off ebay for £25. I think they are the same thing? Mine doesnt have any tulle but like you I didnt want to wear the manky one from the dress shop! If you find out the name of your dress the designers often reccommend which underskirts to wear with the dress on their website.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

My daughter had a double hoop which had lots of net with it too because she couldn't walk properly in her dress without it. We were offered the hire of a hoop from the shop but it was dirty and the wrong colour so we bought one instead as I didn't want a dirty underskirt showing if she had to hold her dress up to go downstairs or anything. This was the dress complete with hooped skirt:-

Both dress and underskirt are up for sale if anyone is interested Smiley winking !!

• L
    Beginner
    LuxuriousIvoryFlowers77174 ·
    • Hide content

club dresses wholesale for pretty cheap if you don't fancy hiring one.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics