Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maxibon
Beginner March 2009

Question about registrar please!?

Maxibon, 15 January, 2010 at 11:00 Posted on Planning 0 15

Good morning Ladies!

silly question coming up....

have I read somewhere that I need to meet the registrar before the big day? we are getting married in manchester so havent met them at all, but do we need to book an appointment to see her or does she/he just show up on the day and we pay her?

I cant find the paper that I think ive read - so maybe havent read it?

grrrrr @ baby brain!!

thank you xx

15 replies

Latest activity by janbonjovi, 16 January, 2010 at 14:24
  • GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

You need to meet the registrar on the day either seperately or together. I need to attend 15 minutes before. D is arriving at least 45 minutes before.

• MrsRegantobe
    Beginner November 2010
    MrsRegantobe ·
    • Hide content

I know I had to give notice of marriage and that can't be done more than a year in advance. We paid £30.00 each and took ID and got ask a few simple question. Then on the day as GeordieBarbie said We will meet with them seperately and they will ask you a few question just to check your still you and not someone off the street.

Hope that helps ?

• lizzyleek
    Beginner October 2010
    lizzyleek ·
    • Hide content

Hi Max,

Me and OH gave notice on Wednesday where we had to produce ID etc. The lady who dealt with us said if we rang up 6-4 weeks before our wedding we would be told who our registrar was and also be able to make an appointment before the wedding to discuss the ceremony etc and then on the day the super intendant registrar will ask you and your OH (together or separately whatever you choose) a couple of questions before the ceremony and then you can marry!

HTH

x

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

I am wondering about registrar too. We've registered and booked the registrar/paid for it, and they've sent through the pack where we can list the vows etc we want. With the pack there's a letter saying that we can book an appointment with the registrar to discuss any questions/the ceremony - but it's £70 ph! So I was sort of minded not to - but then it doesn't say anything about how/where we meet them on the day - just that they'll be there half an hour before.

Do you reckon it'll be okay if OH goes in 15 minutes before the ceremony and I go in 5 mins before - OMs - did you meet the registrar before the day?

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

Should put a health warning on this one cos I'm in Scotland and the rules are different but we were told that we didn't have to meet the registrar but it was quite nice if we did (if only so that we recognised her on the day and didn't both assume she was an Auntie of the other ?). Pretty much everything was sorted out via phone and e-mail - initially phone and then when we needed to confirm that our chosen readings etc were ok we e-mailed them to her but we did go to meet her and I was glad we did. I don't think it particularly added anything but it felt like we had some time to ask anything and we were confident that she understood what we wanted out of the ceremony, how we wanted it to go etc.

That was a bit of a ramble - basically up here you don't have to but it's quite nice.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Thanks no -longer-almost mrsp! Did you have to pay to see your registrar?

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

Nope, just the normal registration dues that we would have had to pay anyway. Do other registrars charge?!

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Most couples just meet the actual registrar carrying out the wedding ceremony on the day. The groom sees the registrar first, and then the bride would meet the registrar to confirm details etc about 10-15 minutes before the ceremony begins.

Al x

• J
    jj74 ·
    • Hide content

In England you don't usually have to see the registrar before the big day, if it is a different area to where you gave notice. You can sort out music and ceremony details etc by email. They will just turn up half an hour before the ceremony and see H2B (when he can pay them if they haven't had payment in advance) H2B will then go into ceremony room with all the guests. When the bride arrives the registrar will usually come out to meet her and then she goes into seperate room to see registrar for 5 minutes before coming out and walking down the aisle.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Many thanks to the hudspeths and jj74 - that's really helpful.

Yes, Mrsp - I would have to pay £70ph (outside of the £454.50 we've already paid to book them and the £60 giving notice fee) to see the registrar so hence why I'm keen to avoid it if poss!

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

Yeep! Our total legal fees came to about £250 and that included the extra fee for the registrar to travel to a venue that wasn't the registry office, I thought that was steep!

• J
    jj74 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No problem ?, you don't want to pay more than you have to. Just remember that on the day you need to arrive 5-10 minutes before the wedding time. Registrars do not like waiting. H2B needs to be there 30 minutes before the wedding time, if the registrars will be arriving then.

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content

Ive just checked my paper work and it says that if you are getting married at an alternative venue, the fees need to be paid 2 months in advance. Good job I checked as we are at the 2 month mark this week! I'll get an appointment with them while we are in manc.

Thanks ladies xx

• J
    Beginner July 2010
    janbonjovi ·
    • Hide content

I've been wondering the same thing!! If you don't meet them before, how do you know how to compile your order of service??? I know we have to pick with words we want etc and music but how do you know where the readings fit in???

Any help would be great ;-))

Thanks

Jan

• Maxibon
    Beginner March 2009
    Maxibon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

im going to book an appointment or at the very least speak with them monday or tuesday, so i'll let you know Jan x

• J
    Beginner July 2010
    janbonjovi ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Max, that would be great x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics