Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner November 2011

Realistically how much can a wedding dress be altered?

shelsmyth, 25 of March of 2011 at 17:17 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hello everyone,

Im getting married in November and the motivation to diet has finally kicked in - hooray! - however I ordered my dress in Feb and am now on the Cambridge diet so hoping to shift 2-3 stone by then.

So my question is, how much can a weddign dress be altered/taken in before it loses its shape (if that makes sense?!) Is a dress size or 2 achieveable?

Thanks!

7 replies

Latest activity by LeeLee :), 28 of March of 2011 at 14:01
  • spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

The shop I bought mine from told me as a general rule of thumb they could take it in by 2 sizes, or let it out by one size. I guess it depends on the level of detail on the dress too though.

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the dress - mine couldnt really be taken in as a lot of the detail was down the sides, but a really good seamstress should be able to alter it at least one size I should think. I did Cambridge as well before my wedding and you can expect to lose about a stone a month so depending on your size now, you may be surprised and not need to have the size altered

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

Realistically anything can be altered by a skilled seamstress.

The big question is, which is very much going to depend on the type of dress, is how much its going to cost you?

You may find that with the amount of work, it may be prohibitive.

I once brought a lovely antique coat, that was way to big for me, but I loved it, on recieving some crazy quotes, a couple of seamstresses were nice enough to explain and show me in detail, just how much work it was, and I was suprised at everything that was involved to keep the shape.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I was told 2 dress sizes is about the most you can take my style of dress in before you start to spoil the detail.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

WSS! mines being taken in 4sizes and the shop said its common enough!!

• LeeLee :)
    Beginner
    LeeLee :) ·
    • Hide content

Ooo bugger I'm aiming to lose at least 3 dress sizes (fingers crossed) I think I may have come down one size already as I've lost 7 cms from my waist. My dress was ordered in January the size I was at the time, to be on the safe side! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics